DVDVR Message Board

Backlash X7 - 5/8/2022

Dolfan in NYC

The next PPV is from the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence.  The company isn't even called that anymore!

THE CARD~

I QUIT MATCH FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Ronda Rousey

Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins

Edge vs. AJ Styles

Bobby Lashley vs. Omos (w/ MVP)

Happy Corbin vs. Madcap Moss

Roman Reigns / The Usos vs. Drew McIntyre / RK-Bro

- Nak/Reigns could be really good, though I don't think there's even a sliver of a chance that Nakamura wins. I can't be the only one who sees that with Boogz and Big E both out, the natural thing to do would be to pair Nak with New Day in the short-term. That's a trio you could have wrestle Sheamus/Holland/Butch or Reigns and the Usos that would benefit both storylines. 

- Not really sure what to make of a Rhodes/Rollins rematch. I disliked their WrestleMania match - not because it wasn't "good," but it felt like the wrong story to tell for Cody's return. He didn't need a quick decisive win, but we also shouldn't have seen Rollins kicking out of his finisher or countering every one of his moves. To me, there should've been some overconfidence on Rollins part - I mean, we're talking Cody Rhodes, the guy who "ran away" from the "big leagues" in Rollins' mind and a guy he had "surpassed" years ago - leading to him not giving enough credit to the new and improved Cody Rhodes. The story they chose to tell was for both guys to bust out everything they had, which made for lots of action and big spots but, to me, very little to build on. I mean, they went 20+ minutes at Mania, is there really a better match for them to have if they get 23 minutes this time? Or 30? Even a stipulation would seem unwarranted considering this isn't really a blood feud...

- Rousey has to be winning this "I Quit" match as consolation for taking the L at Mania, right? 

• Like 1

Disappointed we are getting more Charlotte/Ronda. Was hoping someone else would beat Charlotte for the belt though I can't say I'm surprised.

I'm all for Roman/Shinsuke. Been hoping they would have a title match for a while now. I just wish Nakamura had been rebuilt some beforehand.

Meltzer & a bunch of the sites are making a big deal about Brock being taken off the advertising after being on it originally. But they had to have both Reigns & Lesnar on the ads until Mania was over. Or else "THE BIGGEST MATCH IN WRESTLEMANIA HISTORY" (tm) would have had it's winner spoiled via Brock not being on the ads. All the hand wringing on this one is pretty disingenuous. There's plenty of legitimate things to take issue with, but this is a non story.

Only one more match to be added to Wrestlemania Backlash, Roman vs insert spoiler here.

Bobby vs Omos was added and so was Happy Corbin vs Madcap Moss.

There is no Belair vs Sonya match. That match already happened on Raw.

They merged the Unification tag match with Roman vs Drew into 6 man tag, the tag titles unification is off lulz. At least Raw keeps their tags belts then.

So 6 matches so far. And only 1 title match, the Smackdown women's match.

Gtg

Wait they really built up to a unification for 3 or 4 weeks and then bait & switched it with a bland ass six man tag?

Why does anyone watch this? They treat the viewers like idiots. They almost never deliver on anything they promise anymore. Mind blowing stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Wait they really built up to a unification for 3 or 4 weeks and then bait & switched it with a bland ass six man tag?

Why does anyone watch this? They treat the viewers like idiots. They almost never deliver on anything they promise anymore. Mind blowing stuff.

On the bright side, you no longer need to stress about what the unified title will be called. ? 

• Haha 1

I'm confused. They built up a title unification match for weeks because Roman told The Usos they needed more gold and now he changes his mind overnight? Why? 

I guess the bigger question is why did creative change their minds. I want the unification to happen because having two tag titles sucks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm confused. They built up a title unification match for weeks because Roman told The Usos they needed more gold and now he changes his mind overnight? Why? 

I guess the bigger question is why did creative change their minds. I want the unification to happen because having two tag titles sucks

Part of me wonders if this has to do with the release of the police video where an Uso called a cop an a-hole. The video was released earlier this week.

My top ten Backlash bouts:

10. Rhyno vs. Raven. Backlash 2001.

9. Kurt Angle vs. Edge. Backlash 2002.

8. Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles. Backlash 2016.

7. John Cena vs. Edge. Backlash 2009.

6. Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H. Backlash 2004.

5. Triple H vs. The Rock. Backlash 2000.

4. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Edge vs. Randy Orton. Backlash 2007.

3. Steve Austin vs. The Rock. Backlash 1999.

2. The Undertaker vs. Batista. Backlash 2007.

1. Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley. Backlash 2004.

Honourable mentions:

3. John Cena vs. Edge vs. Triple H. Backlash 2006.

2. Randy Orton vs. Edge. Backlash 2020.

1. Dean Malenko vs. Scotty 2 Hotty. Backlash 2000.

Damian Priest is banned from ringside, I guess either Edge introduces another goon or Priest sidesteps the ref.

So far only 6 matches. Still have the go home Smackdown to watch to see what they add.

2 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Damian Priest is banned from ringside, I guess either Edge introduces another goon or Priest sidesteps the ref.

So far only 6 matches. Still have the go home Smackdown to watch to see what they add.

There'll be interference so a rubber match happens.

Match order according to SRS:

Spoiler

Seth Rollins vs. Cody Rhodes

Bobby Lashley vs. Omos. MVP is set to accompany Omos

AJ Styles vs. Edge

Smackdown Women’s Title Match: Ronda Rousey vs. Charlotte Flair I Quit Match

Madcap Moss vs. Happy Corbin

Six Man Tag Match: RKBro & Drew McIntyre vs. The Bloodline

• Thanks 1