DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/11 - 4/17/2022

Dolfan in NYC

The road to Backlash commences in earnest. 

Miz vs. Cody tonight. Also, AJ/Priest , Sasha & Naomi vs. Liv & Rhea, and Veer/Rey

And just a little backstage thing from last week:

NXT 2.0

Grayson Waller and Sanga, Legado del Fantasma, The Creed Brothers, Josh Briggs and Brooks Jensen, and Pretty Deadly will all participate in a Gauntlet Match to determine the new NXT Tag Team Champions.

2 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

NXT 2.0

Grayson Waller and Sanga, Legado del Fantasma, The Creed Brothers, Josh Briggs and Brooks Jensen, and Pretty Deadly will all participate in a Gauntlet Match to determine the new NXT Tag Team Champions.

I would put the belts on The Creed Brother's and just let them run rough shot over everyone like early 90's Steiner's. 

• Like 2

I'm not going to get too worked up over it, because I do realize 99.9% of the Raw audience has no idea who he is, but the Dom neck angle/stretcher job left me a little uneasy two days after Otani's injury. Maybe could have waited a week or two before rolling with it? Nothing egregious, just didn't like the timing.

• Like 2

Miz and Cody heated up their match with the opening segment, so that was good.  Veer Mahaan squashed Dominick very quickly and I'm not seeing the end game here.  Is Rey Rey signing with AEW or something?  Either way, time will tell!  AJ Styles and Damien Preist was good though there was a section where everything went wrong, the glories of live television.  Priest makes up for it by laying it in.  The finish was HORRENDOUS.  Jesus Christ, that was bad.  Cody Rhodes entrance is fun and big.  I always liked the Miz in the ring.  I am CONTROVERSIAL!   Cody with the Cravate!  God, the camera cuts when the Miz is on offense is making me seasick.  Cody is fun firing back and sells the knee like a KING.  The Miz is good after applying the Figure Four.  They have been reversing the Figure Four since Flair/Steamboat 89 (maybe?  Or was it Flair/Luger) and I've never truly thought through the mechanics of it working or not working.  It will remain a mystery of wrestling.  Cody wins with a Crossroads  (or is it a CrossRhodes?)!  That was pretty good.   The Miz is UNDERRATED!  Seth Rollins reminds me of Karmen Ghia from The Producers.  Man, the WWE Women's division is so deep.  Naomi is like number 11 in the hierarchy but she is so good.  Her match against Liv Morgan was too short, but it throws the obvious booking into question!  So that's fun- who will win when they get the tag match together?  Queen Zelina, who is very tiny,  needs to turn babyface.  Who could go against such an underdog?  Bianca Bel Air is so much bigger and so much more powerful.  Poor Zelina.  Oh man, Matt Riddle is the best wrestler in the WWE.  That's how you lean into an assbeating.  Otis is fun as a burly fat boy.  I love Riddle's knee TO TRANSITION!  Randy Orton has Five Moves of Doom!  Maybe three moves.  They all look good so he is a perfect Robert Gibson.  Robert Gibson had one move, a dropkick, and he was the best guy on the apron ever.  Hey! Can the Street Profits beat the Usos to retain their number one contender position?  It would be funny if they did.  The Usos would get back in their SUV and drive back to RAW or something.  Angelo Dawkins is also good at leaning into an assbeating.  Montez Ford randomly hits a GIGANTIC Tope Con Hilo.  Ford has like Nine Moves of Doom, none of which are as effective as Orton's three.  Great nearfall after Inverted Reverse Doomsday Device by the Street Profits and ANOTHER great nearfall after the RIDICULOUS Frog Splash by Montez Ford.  Usos hit a 3-D and get the win clean as a sheet.  That match was fucking awesome.   RKBro versus the Usos should be good.  That was good episode of RAW. 

• Like 4

Cody got WCW Goldberg levels pops tonight at the start of the show. Surreal. He finally beat the Miz after multiple losses to him years ago.

Austin Theory will be known as simply Theory from now on. Vince must love renaming Superstars like people did in the aki games.

Unification match for the mens tags is set for WMBL.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the opening Cody-Vince...er Miz exchange. "It's a title, a belt is something that holds up your pants!" and "They're superstars, not wrestlers!"

Then I got distracted and forgot to finish the show, but now I'm watching  a pretty great 1940s film noir where a lovelorn Raymond Burr is making everyone's life a living hell. He's playing the "good" guy against the girl, the bad guy against the good guy and the girl, even though he's clearly the toughest and meanest guy in the show. They should book Otis like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

NXT 2.0

GYV robbed again

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The Miz tv segment with Cody was decent. The match between the two was much better and nice overall. Dug the figure four reverse spot. Both sold pretty well.

Naomi/Liv was far better than expected and pretty fun even if a bit short. Th two had a surprising amount of chemistry. Hopefully the tag titles match with their teams next week delivers somethign good and memorable.

Bianca has had better squashes of Zelina. Did think the segment with Sonya was solid. Will be interesting to see what Bianca can bring out of Sonya. 

RKBro vs. AA was solid stuff.

Street Profits vs. The Usos was a fantastic tv main event. Everyone looked so damn good and I so hope we get a rematch down the line when Usos are undisputed champs. 

9 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

NXT 2.0

I assume it will be Pretty Deadly, but this so needs to end with Legado or the Creeds as champs. They are legit the most over teams in NXT right now.

For the second week in a row, if it was reported that someone controlling the pyro was intentionally fucking with Cody I'd 100% believe it. His reaction to his new buckle pyro (the first time, not the second) was so weird. Pyromaniac Cody Rhodes is the best. He even gets asked about the pyro toward the end of this video:

RIP to the Codybox, but the new set-up is a huge upgrade if they're unable to use a stage that accommodates his lift. Hope they bring it back for Mania, the Saudi shows, and any other big stadium deals they do. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

reading the recap my biggest takeaway is two women's matches that look decent-good on paper in Bianca/Liv and Naomi-Zelina got like 5 minutes combined

you can't give Bianca and Liv 7-8 minutes?  the show is 3 hours Bruce!  wtf

I would guess part of the reason they didn't is because this match didn't happen. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I would guess part of the reason they didn't is because this match didn't happen. 

oops!

Sasha and Liv then, but the point stands.  Two matches going 5 minutes combined on a 3 hour show?  Do the women do worse ratings than video packages or what?

EDIT* gotdamn two strikes!  I checked the recap again to make sure.  IT WAS BIANCA V ZELINA AND NAOMI V LIV.  YA HAPPY NOW!

I managed to botch both matches twice.  I knew Sasha was there somewhere (at ringside).  F'n WWE

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
this is hilarious
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Reportedly internally who's listed above who on Raw

Faces
1) Bobby Lashley 
2) Cody Rhodes 
3) AJ Styles 

Heels
1) Seth Rollins 
2) Kevin Owens 
3) Edge 
4) Damian Priest 

Roman is listed as the no 1 heel on SD, and not for Raw.

Actually a fun show to watch - they’ve low key assembled a nice group in the roster over there, and the show doesn’t feel hurt for the lack of male world champion presence (on contrary, feels like it adds more weight to other title holders). Good mix of comedy, athleticism & drama. 

12 hours ago, username said:

I think a number of things went well enough this week (I like this silly Ezekiel/Owens things just for how much it bothers Kevin)

As I said on Twitter, KO is about 3 weeks away from this

cra.gif

• Like 1