DVDVR Message Board

The 2022 NBA Playoffs

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

it's hard to root for couple guys in the Warriors organization (Draymond especially).  

I feel that but I respect the heck out of Curry and Kerr for GS.  I do think Curry gets away with a lot of the nonsense that people ripped James Harden for, in terms of flinging out his leg or turning and sticking out his behind to try and draw fouls but I still appreciate his game.  I do wanna smack him every time I see him chewing on his mouthpiece like a 3-year old though.  And you gotta respect Kerr for being unafraid to take stands and be passionate in press conferences.

5 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Was talking NBA yesterday over lunch and the other person said "I'm just happy the finals are a competitive series.  I don't really care who wins.  Anyone except the Warriors will be fine."

Lol, I kinda feel the same way.  I was mostly bored by the earlier rounds and teams trading 20-pt wins. I'm not really rooting for Boston, but Warriors winning again seems dull to me.  Championships are usually more interesting when the underdog wins and it's hard to root for couple guys in the Warriors organization (Draymond especially).  

The franchise with 17 championships is an underdog?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Log said:

Pretty clearly, yes. I generally can't stand Boston sports, but I actually like this version of the Celtics. There main core is all Boston drafted, and the players they added to complete the puzzle aren't mega stars, just good role players that fill the need they ar egoing for. 

Basically, I wish more teams were built like this current version of Boston. Amusinly, the closest comparable we have is probaby GS before Durant. 

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

There main core is all Boston drafted, and the players they added to complete the puzzle aren't mega stars, just good role players that fill the need they ar egoing for. 

That's basically the Warriors team unless you are calling Wiggins a mega star. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Log said:

Against a Golden State team that's been to six of the last eight finals?  Yeah.  Boston is a solid young team.  GS is at the tail end (?) of a dynasty run and still have several hall of famers on the roster.  Golden State is playing in it's sixth final in eight years.  Boston, by comparison, has been fairly average since the 80's.  This is their third final in the past 30+ years and first since 2010.

Golden State is a familiar story.  Boston is a team that will hopefully hasn't peaked yet and might get better from this point on.

Now, if Boston somehow manages to dress Cousy, Bird and Parrish tonight, I might change my answer....

Okay, looking it up, Warriors were favourites... I remember one of my students showing me a poll or something and it was like 70something percent had Boston winning, which blew my mind.

I want Steph to further solidify his legacy as one of the all time greats. If he wins this trophy with a significantly less than 100% Thompson as his main sidekick that would be huge.

Edited by Jiji

30 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Against a Golden State team that's been to six of the last eight finals?  Yeah.  Boston is a solid young team.  GS is at the tail end (?) of a dynasty run and still have several hall of famers on the roster.  Golden State is playing in it's sixth final in eight years.  Boston, by comparison, has been fairly average since the 80's.  This is their third final in the past 30+ years and first since 2010.

Golden State is a familiar story.  Boston is a team that will hopefully hasn't peaked yet and might get better from this point on.

Now, if Boston somehow manages to dress Cousy, Bird and Parrish tonight, I might change my answer....

Golden State has been the underdog in this series because of the Celtics' defense and the fact that the Celtics stole homecourt and were leading through three games. It's been Steph vs. the Celtics for the most part. That said, the Celtics are wildly inconsistent. If they played anywhere close to their true level, they'd be up 3-1. They also seem to be gambling on a defensive strategy of Steph being unable to continue his offensive dominance since they don't want to blitz Steph and open the game up for the other Warriors. The trouble is Steph is having a field day with this drop coverage, and it seems like he has the stamina to continue playing well. Now that they took back homecourt, he might not have to score as much if the other Warriors play better at home and Klay has a big night. The series is still in the balance though because we know what the good version of the Celtics can do. That may depend on the health of Robert Williams, though, as almost everything good that Boston has done has come down to rim protection, shot blocking and rebounding. If the Warriors front court can outrebound the Celtics again, I'm pretty sure the Warriors will win Game 5. 

Vegas had GSW as favorites going in, but pretty much every statistical model had Boston as the clearly better team and heavy favorite.

At any rate, this Boston team would be very likable if they weren't the Boston Celtics. But fuck the Celtics forever.

Kill them in the third Dubs!

• Like 4

I don't think it is fair to paint this as a "favorite/underdog" series. Naturally almost every series will have one of each due to the nature of how gambling works but this Finals is one in which people were legit torn over who would win, with each team having definite strengths and weaknesses. I see plenty of reasons to dislike either team (my personal biases: I don't mind GS but always find myself rooting against Boston teams) but this series seemed to be a fairly competitive one heading in and nothing in the first five games has convinced me otherwise.

Well that was embarrassing.

G4/5 were winnable if Boston didn't insist on beating themselves.  Playing like dogshit at home in an elimination game is a joke.  Hopefully this is motivation, but how many more shots does Horford have?  Ugh.

Also, Boston was hyped up due to talent, but the lack of cohesion was covered up by that talent. They never faced a team truly cohesive in the playoffs before the finals. They faced talented teams, but not a single one had an identity that was worth a damn. Not even the vaunted “Heat Culture,” which was so scattershot by the time they faced off it didn’t matter anymore. I’d be more worried about the Grizzlies than the Celtics next year.

Edited by TimLivingston

In theory, Boston should be able to compete for years to come. But we've seen the "team with two young stars makes the finals, comes up short" story before, and it didn't end up working out for OKC or Orlando.

Marcus Smart is a great defender, but Boston might need a better true point guard. Turnovers and lack of being able to get into their offense late in tough games are their only obvious weaknesses.

On 6/1/2022 at 1:46 AM, Brian Fowler said:

If I had to make a prediction it would be Dubs in six, but I'm not real confident on that.

I should have been more confident

Probably gets ranked second in my Steph/Klay/Draymond era championships after the first one. Look forward to an off-season of a lot of (well deserved) swaggering from the front office and players. 

Do feel bad for Tatum who is probably going spend an off-season being roasted just because he landed on Wiggins Island. Hopefully he uses it as motivation for next season.

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jason Tatum finished the playoff run of 24 games with 100(!!) turnovers.

That is a crazy number.  Gotta be better.