DVDVR Message Board

2022 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

That story earlier this summer about LeBron, AD, and Russ meeting to discuss the Lakers' future gets funnier and funnier as the summer goes along.  

Maybe it was like that diner scene in Heat when the robbers beat the fuck out of the guy who screwed up the last job. 

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

The thicken plots...

The meeting happened today and apparently Durant told him that he didn't have faith in the direction of the franchise and they could either keep Marks and Nash or keep him. 

So, as per usual for the Nets, not great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Riley's on the phone right now saying Durant for Lowry straight up.  *If* I'm nice I'll throw in a Duncan Robinson and a 2.  

But that's the best I can do right now.  Sorry Joe. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The meeting happened today and apparently Durant told him that he didn't have faith in the direction of the franchise and they could either keep Marks and Nash or keep him. 

And Joe Tsai all but confirmed that happened by going on social media and saying Marks and Nash weren't going anywhere

So if the Nets basically try to wait this out until a desperate team pays up close to what they want (and the price will of course drop from what they wanted), Durant is going to stay at home and not get paid? It would be a mess but it's probably better long term than a knee jerk reaction to sell now is it not? Teams would still probably try to outbid each other. The Celtics trade looks good rn. 

I mean, if I'm any one of the top three teams (supposedly Boston, Toronto, and Miami, in that order) I'm using Tsai's tweets against him and lowering my bid. (Not crazy like I joked earlier, but enough to let the Nets know they can't fuck around here.)

If he's really willing to sit on $30m+ for the year for no return, which will cause his team to lose ~8-10 more games than normal... which will in turn upset the other big name on his roster who has also indicated he wants out...   Well, let him.  

There's value in KD, but if he gets sat on and loses significant playing time, that value goes down.  The longer he sits, the more it drops.  

fully comprehend how mad Tsai is and the 'Fuck KD' sentiment, but he's got to open his eyes to the situation and understand he's in negotiations right now. Tweeting stuff like that just hurts himself and his team. Durant has no leverage, but Tsai's is waning quickly too.  There's way too much money involved to "teach Durant a lesson" like I've seen so many people on Twitter/Reddit call for.

Swallow your pride and get him off your books. Hopefully salvage something with Irving or get as much as you can for him.  Move on with your team. 

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean, if I'm any one of the top three teams (supposedly Boston, Toronto, and Miami, in that order) I'm using Tsai's tweets against him and lowering my bid. (Not crazy like I joked earlier, but enough to let the Nets know they can't fuck around here.)

If he's really willing to sit on $30m+ for the year for no return, which will cause his team to lose ~8-10 more games than normal... which will in turn upset the other big name on his roster who has also indicated he wants out...   Well, let him.  

There's value in KD, but if he gets sat on and loses significant playing time, that value goes down.  The longer he sits, the more it drops.  

fully comprehend how mad Tsai is and the 'Fuck KD' sentiment, but he's got to open his eyes to the situation and understand he's in negotiations right now. Tweeting stuff like that just hurts himself and his team. Durant has no leverage, but Tsai's is waning quickly too.  There's way too much money involved to "teach Durant a lesson" like I've seen so many people on Twitter/Reddit call for.

Swallow your pride and get him off your books. Hopefully salvage something with Irving or get as much as you can for him.  Move on with your team. 

Like if you're Brooklyn at this point, I don't think you're doing better than Jaylen Brown + a pick 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I strongly disagree; the Nets have all the leverage here.  Durant's under contract for four years and there's no way he's going to Ben Simmons the last productive years of his career. 

Tsai would probably be smart to wait and see which wannabe contender starts the season slowly and starts to panic before taking pennies on the dollar for his one real asset.  It's not like Brown + picks (or an equivalent offer) won't still be there at the deadline.

• Like 2

This story is so fishy.
If I recall correctly, Kyrie was the one complaining about the Nash hire, and Durant was the one supporting it. And at the end of the season he was still defending Nash. Now all of a sudden he wants him fired in order to stay. I don't get it.

The coach wasn't the problem.

7 hours ago, jaedmc said:

This story is so fishy.
If I recall correctly, Kyrie was the one complaining about the Nash hire, and Durant was the one supporting it. And at the end of the season he was still defending Nash. Now all of a sudden he wants him fired in order to stay. I don't get it.

The coach wasn't the problem.

Two years in, I legit have no idea if Steve Nash is any good as a coach or not. Like, I literally have no clue.

22 hours ago, Jiji said:

So if the Nets basically try to wait this out until a desperate team pays up close to what they want (and the price will of course drop from what they wanted), Durant is going to stay at home and not get paid? It would be a mess but it's probably better long term than a knee jerk reaction to sell now is it not? Teams would still probably try to outbid each other. The Celtics trade looks good rn. 

Unless you're the Celtics.  I don't fucking want this guy, I don't care how many points he scores.

• Like 1

My read (and I haven't watched a ton of regular-season Nets the past two years so take it with a grain of salt) is that Nash is probably a replacement-level or slightly below coach at this point in his career.  He's not the problem, but he is a problem if you want to win at a high level.

That said if you have to make a choice between Coach Nash or slightly-off-his-prime Durant then Nash should already be on an ice floe.

• Like 2

The Boston Globe reported that the Nets' asking price for Durant from Boston was Jaylen Brown *AND* Jason Tatum.  (LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL)

When they were told to fuck themselves with that shit, they changed to Brown, Smart, and a bunch of 1's.  

Boston's answer apparently did not change. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

LeBron signed a 2-year max extension with the Lakers, keeping him under contract until 2025.

Official numbers are $97.1 million with a player option

Also has a 15% trade kicker

Lebron passes Kevin Garnett for most guaranteed career money ($532 million)

22 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The last major free agent is signing with Miami.

Udonis Haslem will return for his 20th season.

And I get one more year where I'm not older than every NBA player!

• Like 2