DVDVR Message Board

2022 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

Hey, at least this means Sengun gets to start. I figure none of the traded players ever suit up (maybe Boban), and we essentially traded Wood for 26. I figure there are a few more moves coming, but I thought it hilarious that Banchero works out yesterday morning, and Wood’s traded later in the afternoon.

I think Dallas should totally give Wood a max contract.

Sources said Houston was motivated to move Wood because the Rockets want to open up playing time for 2021 first-rounder Alperen Sengun and likely the No. 3 overall pick. The Rockets pounced on the opportunity to acquire a first-round selection without taking on any long-term salary.

It makes sense. By the time Green and whoever they pick are likely to be ready to compete, Wood is going to be through his contract and on the back half of his career. Feels like a decent move for both sides.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:28 AM, RIPPA said:

Hornets are hiring Kenny Atkinson

Kenny turned down the Hornets and is going to stay on as an assistant in Golden State, so back to the drawing board.

e:

Edited by Zimbra

Conversations between the Nets and Kyrie Irving about his future have “gone stagnant,” according to Shams Charania of The Athletic, who hears from sources that the two sides are currently at an impasse. The deadlock could prompt the star guard to consider other destinations, Charania reports.

Irving said after the Nets’ season ended that he didn’t plan to go anywhere, and a report just two weeks ago suggested he was likely to remain in Brooklyn. However, negotiations between his camp and the Nets were always expected to be challenging, given that his stock has dipped a little in recent years and he no longer seems like a good bet to land a fully guaranteed long-term maximum salary contract.

Irving has been as productive as ever when he has played for the Nets over the last three seasons, averaging 27.1 points, 6.0 assists, and 4.7 rebounds per game on .490/.406/.920 shooting. However, injuries and personal decisions have limited him to just 103 appearances out of a possible 226 regular season games during that time and have raised questions about his reliability going forward.

Charania writes that the Nets and Irving have “serious work to do” to resolve his contract situation and ensure he remains in Brooklyn. If Kyrie does consider heading elsewhere, the Lakers, Clippers, and Knicks are expected to be among his suitors, sources tell The Athletic.

As Charania observes, the Lakers and Clippers project to be over the tax apron for the 2022/23 season, likely ruling out the possibility of a sign-and-trade. So if he wants to go to either L.A. team, Irving would probably have to pick up his $36.9MM player option with an understanding that a trade is coming. The Knicks don’t project to have cap room, but would have the cap flexibility to pursue Irving via sign-and-trade if he declines his option to become an unrestricted free agent.

The Clippers and Knicks are in a better position to make a viable trade offer for Irving than the Lakers, who would almost certainly have to include Russell Westbrook‘s $47MM+ expiring deal in any package for salary-matching purposes.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Could you imagine the Nets having to go tell KD "we're trading Kyrie for Westbrook. You two are teammates again."?

It's the only way Brooklyn could be even more dysfunctional, so PLEASE FUCKING DO THIS.

Also, LeBron might retire rather than play another season on Discworld, so, win/win.

10 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

It's the only way Brooklyn could be even more dysfunctional, so PLEASE FUCKING DO THIS.

Also, LeBron might retire rather than play another season on Discworld, so, win/win.

When did the Lakers sign Rincewind and Granny Wetherwax?

• Haha 1

Nicolas Batum is declining his option which was barely $3.3 million which I didn't realize NBA deals went that low anymore.

Reportedly Batum and the Clippers are working on a new deal as LA holds his Early Bird Rights so they can offer him around $11 million a season without using the midlevel exception

13 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

When did the Lakers sign Rincewind and Granny Wetherwax?

You and I both know that the Librarian would make a cracking Power Forward, even if he lacks the height. Wins games in spite of Ridcully's coaching.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

John Wall is opting in on his $47M for next year.  Sounds like the Rockets might finally be planning to waive or trade him.

What fool wouldnt opt in for that much dough?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

John Wall is opting in on his $47M for next year.  Sounds like the Rockets might finally be planning to waive or trade him.

That might be the easiest option decision of all time. I doubt he would get much more than league minimum on the open market. Maybe the MLE from a desperate team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

John Wall would be the dumbest man alive to turn that shit down.  47 mill to not play?  Why not?  He'd be a fool to take a buy out, too. 

• Like 1

They really need to figure out something to fix the super max. It keeps hurting instead of helping.

I like the proposal I saw somewhere that, while the player gets the super max money, it only counts as a regular max contract against the cap and tax lines.

• Like 1

Yes I should put this in the documentary thread but I know folks here are gonna wanna watch

Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers

Director: Antoine Fuqua

Basically consider this Hulu's answer to The Last Dance as this will be 10 parts and based on the trailer they talked to everyone (will be interesting to see if they use archival interviews with Kobe)

• Like 1

Jerami Grant to Portland for the Bucks top-4 protected 2025 first round pick (done other second round picks moving around as well.)

Huh. That's not a lot for an under 25 two way player.

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Jerami Grant to Portland for the Bucks top-4 protected 2025 first round pick (done other second round picks moving around as well.)

Huh. That's not a lot for an under 25 two way player.

That’s pathetic. 

At least you don’t have to pay him now?