DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Dontaku, 1st May 2022 *contains Hyper Battle spoilers*

The Natural

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:
  Hide contents

Did Juice Robinson just work the IWC in 2022?

Spoiler

Yup!

Dug the card with Tana/Ishii being my favorite match. Juice looks too much like BC Hangman right now but I'm sure it'll work out. 

Also firey babyface GOD is something I didn't know I wanted but I'm here for it now. Also that finishing sequence in the EVIL/Tama match was dope.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Not only did Juice work me, Jay's interviews had me convinced he was a man who resented being under contract and had no intention of setting foot on a plane set for Japan ever again.

I mean, he could have flown over just to be overthrown as BC leader by Chase before leaving for his home planet but right now I'm annoyed. With this kind of thing along with bringing the Good Brothers back they're heeling the IWC from both ends.

• Like 2

Beyond elated that Juice is back. Interested to see how he works as a heel, but hopefully it helps him get back on track after getting relegated to FinJuice far too long. 

I lost my shit for Jay, I didn't realise how much I missed him in Japan. Anderson/Gallows + Juice definitely helps BC not feel so stale, also interested to see what happens down the line with those who weren't in the end BC hang-out. 

Tanahashi v Ishii was great, a perfect match for clap crowds. Okada v Naito was the best of their series, but still was missing something to take it to the next level (probably crowd noise, it felt like the kind of match that needed dueling chants and crowd interaction). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horangi said:

I lost my shit for Jay, I didn't realise how much I missed him in Japan. Anderson/Gallows + Juice definitely helps BC not feel so stale, also interested to see what happens down the line with those who weren't in the end BC hang-out. 

Jay shouts out ELP and Chris Bey as they're all walking out, which was cool and subtle to ensure they were included.  Bey was the one person who I was a bit surprised wasn't in BOSJ, but then I felt it may be Bullet Club overkill, so perhaps it's better to bring him in further down the line.  There's a Hikuleo-Jay angle brewing on Strong (will Hikuleo join his GOD brothers, etc;), and of course, what HoT means in all of this, likely a split but I wonder how it plays out, now that it CAN, actually, play out.  

Granted, not everyone involved is a top-tier worker, but it's a really complicated storyline, especially when you add in Cole, The Elite, and all that past history and such over in AEW.  For now, it seems fresh, and a shot in the arm for New Japan in general.  

I enjoyed the card overall, but I have to say, watching the BOSJ announcement live was very cathartic for me and thus the highlight, as it was a definitive signal that things are changing dramatically very soon.  Finally.

I don't know what anyone was expecting out of the attendance. It was Wrestling Dontaku but the actual Dontaku started today on the 3rd plus it was the tail end of a three day holiday that went into a work day which then goes back into a three day holiday (Monday and Friday this week are normal school/work days despite this being Golden Week). They should have started the show earlier so that people from outside the prefecture could pop in and still get out of town at a reasonable time.

I thought the number was impressive for covid era numbers. They skipped around the covid protocols in the vid above, but the covid era rules set by their govt and business enforced rules are still in effect.

Edited by Blue Dragon