DVDVR Message Board

AEW RAMPAGE!- 4/9/2022! MOX vs YUTA! DANIELSON vs TRENT!

DEAN

5 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

BOOTS FOR YUTA

Seriously, something about the full length black tights/white sneakers look just annoys me. If you have to wear sneakers or amateur boots, at least cut the tights length down to where TAKA Michinoku had them so it doesn't look like you should be wearing boots.

Of course, ankle support is super important.

And don't get me started on Skye Blue wrestling in Chucks! Are these kids trying to snap their ankles?!

The Taka Michinoku/Minoru Fujita 3/4 length trunks plus wrestling shoes is a top tier look that more people should use.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Trent vs. Dragon was really good. Naturally and predictably. I said in the other thread how much I want to see Best Friends vs. the BCC + Yuta in a Trios match. The way Regal talks about Trent hanging out with imbeciles sounds like code to me that Regal and Dragon and Mox really love The Best Friends act and have been pushing for this. I'm nowhere near the expert on British wrestling that everyone else on here is, but there is such a big tradition of comedy wrestling in Britain. Regal's one of the best ever and his ability at performing comedy is so underrated. 

Sammy and Tay are awful promos. It isn't that they'd be better as heels. It's that they're terrible in all aspects of promo work. If you need to rely on cursing, then you're terrible. The only person who needs to curse in AEW is Hangman Page. Lambert and Scorpio and Ethan Page are decent heels. Sammy maxes out for me as either a fiery babyface TNT Title-level guy or as a smarmy heel TNT Title-level guy whose best purpose is to eventually put over someone a lot better.

Swerve Strickland is putting me to sleep. I really loved the Hit Row presentation in NXT. He does nothing for me in AEW. He's just a "cool indie guy" who isn't that cool. Ricky Sanchez rules though. 

I have no idea who Willow is. But I love how they mention that she got this qualifying match due to her performance in ROH -- great way to connect and expand those universes and that relationship. I really like Willow. Great performer. Wow. I want her weekly on my TV set.  She knows how to play to the crowd so well. She knows how to show exasperation. But man Red Velvet is really bad. More Willow, please.

This Yuta/Mox match rules. The start was awesome and makes total sense. Andrade did the early ambush to Darby.  You can look at it as either it's a rip-off from earlier or you can look at it as Yuta saw that match and realized that he could maybe use it against Mox who also makes a very predictable entrance and won't see it coming. It also got the crowd to really buy into not just the match but the match as a main event -- that Yuta was there and was ready. Great way to transition to the commercial with Yuta starting to gush blood after getting curbed on the steps. This is the most amount of blood I've seen from a dude in years. Yuta is laying stuff in. He's moving with desparation. The table dive is an awesome "I have to go beyond my limits to win this" spot. Mox does a great reaction in the corner when Yuta gets back in of "what the hell, this is YUTA?" I love the Bryan stomps. But the crossface coming right after not getting the pin was just awesome. Man, this match is just an absolute epic.

The kickout from the paradigm shift is an all-time moment. My favorite false-finish ever was in a pretty fantastic Rollins title defense against Adrian Neville on Raw where Neville had him beat but then Neville in his overzealousness pulled Rollins' leg onto the bottom rope for the break. This was right along that level. Mox lays stuff in like I haven't seen him ever.  Now a SECOND kickout??? Mox's face after the match is specatcular -- another "This is Yuta?" 

Yuta writing BCC in blood and Mox ending the show with "NOW THE REAL WORK BEGINS..." 

Man, that might for real be my favorite AEW match. That was just a bloodbath sprint with a fantastic story. I think I liked Eddie/Punk better but this was something else. 

• Like 9

Trent vs. Dragon was really good. Naturally and predictably. I said in the other thread how much I want to see Best Friends vs. the BCC + Yuta in a Trios match. The way Regal talks about Trent hanging out with imbeciles sounds like code to me that Regal and Dragon and Mox really love The Best Friends act and have been pushing for this. I'm nowhere near the expert on British wrestling that everyone else on here is, but there is such a big tradition of comedy wrestling in Britain. Regal's one of the best ever and his ability at performing comedy is so underrated. 

Sammy and Tay are awful promos. It isn't that they'd be better as heels. It's that they're terrible in all aspects of promo work. If you need to rely on cursing, then you're terrible. The only person who needs to curse in AEW is Hangman Page. Lambert and Scorpio and Ethan Page are decent heels. Sammy maxes out for me as either a fiery babyface TNT Title-level guy or as a smarmy heel TNT Title-level guy whose best purpose is to eventually put over someone a lot better.

Swerve Strickland is putting me to sleep. I really loved the Hit Row presentation in NXT. He does nothing for me in AEW. He's just a "cool indie guy" who isn't that cool. Ricky Sanchez rules though. 

I have no idea who Willow is. But I love how they mention that she got this qualifying match due to her performance in ROH -- great way to connect and expand those universes and that relationship. I really like Willow. Great performer. Wow. I want her weekly on my TV set.  She knows how to play to the crowd so well. She knows how to show exasperation. But man Red Velvet is really bad. More Willow, please.

This Yuta/Mox match rules. The start was awesome and makes total sense. Andrade did the early ambush to Darby.  You can look at it as either it's a rip-off from earlier or you can look at it as Yuta saw that match and realized that he could maybe use it against Mox who also makes a very predictable entrance and won't see it coming. It also got the crowd to really buy into not just the match but the match as a main event -- that Yuta was there and was ready. Great way to transition to the commercial with Yuta starting to gush blood after getting curbed on the steps. This is the most amount of blood I've seen from a dude in years. Yuta is laying stuff in. He's moving with desparation. The table dive is an awesome "I have to go beyond my limits to win this" spot. Mox does a great reaction in the corner when Yuta gets back in of "what the hell, this is YUTA?" I love the Bryan stomps. But the crossface coming right after not getting the pin was just awesome. Man, this match is just an absolute epic.

The kickout from the paradigm shift is an all-time moment. My favorite false-finish ever was in a pretty fantastic Rollins title defense against Adrian Neville on Raw where Neville had him beat but then Neville in his overzealousness pulled Rollins' leg onto the bottom rope for the break. This was right along that level. Mox lays stuff in like I haven't seen him ever.  Now a SECOND kickout??? Mox's face after the match is specatcular -- another "This is Yuta?" 

Yuta writing BCC in blood and Mox ending the show with "NOW THE REAL WORK BEGINS..." 

Man, that might for real be my favorite AEW match. That was just a bloodbath sprint with a fantastic story. I think I liked Eddie/Punk better but this was something else. 

36 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

3/4 length trunks

Highwaters! Yeah that would be a good look for Yuta with the shooter boots. He's skinny enough to pull off the resemblance. Kid gets some meat on him he'll really be in the game (there's JR coming through again). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

The Yuta/Moxley series is the best version of Ole's Georgia Tommy Rich vs. Abdullah The Butcher series where the plucky underdog rookie gets closer and closer in losing efforts.

Khan is an annoying nerd billionaire but he can book a wrestling program. 

I wish I would have seen that series when I was any good! And yeah, Khan books this stuff very much like I did my RPG back in the 90's!

• Like 1

It’s incredible to me that AEW is simultaneously featuring and growing three generations of stars: the Danielson/Punk/Mox/Jericho/FTR tier, the Hangman/Darby/MJF/Jungle Boy/Wardlow/Acclaimed tier and the emerging Garcia/Yuta/Hook/Top Flight tier. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 12

I am definitely looking forward to Jade vs Marina, but its kind of wild to think that in 2022 I'd be excited for Marina Shaffir.

My only experience for her was being "Rhonda's friend" and her kind of forgettable NXT run; but here we are leading up to a match that feels like Freddy vs Jason.

AEW's women division is stocked with "Monster" characters, but they're all different.  Nyla is a force of nature, Jade is pure power, Serena is a torturer and Marina is the emotionless killer.  So to see two of them go head to head is rad as hell.

I just think its a neat little thing AEW has going on, but I'm psyched for the match and happy that Marina's getting her chance to shine.

• Like 5

Marina's original claim to fame was "Ronda & Shayna's friend who flamed out in MMA and never even made it to the UFC".

She went 5-0 as an amateur, armbarring everyone, and had a bit of a "Next Rousey" rep before crashing HARD as a pro, losing two straight by 30-second knockout as soon as she fought real talent. She retired right after. At least Jessamyn Duke got to go 1-4 on the big stage.

I'm actually very stoked that she found a better avenue for her talents.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Watched Mox/Yuta a second time, even better in hindsight. The way this company builds talent organically instead of shoving it down our throats - or punishing folks who get over without office help - is just such a damn fine breath of fresh air.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Octopus said:

I’m saddened by Yuta’s inclusion in the BBC. My dream of Wheeler wearing Heelys is now crushed with him leaving the Best Friends.

Not against you, but I'm going to laugh anytime someone misspells Blackpool Combat Club that way, considering the alternative connotation of what you typed ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

All I can say is - that's how you get people over by taking a loss. My first thought during the match was "Yuta is pulling a Tommy Dreamer THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER" in that the sympathy the crowd had gained for him taking those ass beatings was getting him over. Then you factor in the amount of blood, the TWO Paradigm Shift kickouts including the high angle one. Just brilliant stuff.

Getting people over without using 50/50 booking. No need for Mox to lose any luster by taking a pinfall there. Can't say enough about that match. THAT'S "must watch Rampage" type shit right there.

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Of course, ankle support is super important.

And don't get me started on Skye Blue wrestling in Chucks! Are these kids trying to snap their ankles?!

Skye could hide ankle wraps beneath the leggings and the Chucks.  Yuta has no visible support at all.

1 hour ago, hobo joe said:

Wheeler Muta

The Yuta Scale. 

Fuckin' Wheeler Akiyama, man. 

Just watched the match. Wow. I got chills at the end. That is goddamn professional wrestling, folks. That kid is MADE. 

Is it just me, or was that Jon Moxley's best match? Or, at the very least, the match where Jon Moxley and the idea of Jon Moxley finally met? He was fantastic. 

God, what a piece of business. That and FTR/Briscoes in the same week. We are being spoiled rotten. ?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

One thing that was a nice callback (deliberate or not). Remember what Moxley said to Danielson when the team up was proposed?

"I don't group up with somebody unless I've BLED with them"

Blood In, Wheeler Yuta.

He's going to be blading twinks for like a year to grow BCC. ?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, GojiColin said:

I am definitely looking forward to Jade vs Marina, but its kind of wild to think that in 2022 I'd be excited for Marina Shaffir.

My only experience for her was being "Rhonda's friend" and her kind of forgettable NXT run; but here we are leading up to a match that feels like Freddy vs Jason.

AEW's women division is stocked with "Monster" characters, but they're all different.  Nyla is a force of nature, Jade is pure power, Serena is a torturer and Marina is the emotionless killer.  So to see two of them go head to head is rad as hell.

I just think its a neat little thing AEW has going on, but I'm psyched for the match and happy that Marina's getting her chance to shine.

Agreed 100%. Loving the build to this, how it's been just brief promos here and there throughout the weeks, apart from each other and they've never had to interact with each other at all. Subtle build yet the hype feels immense, making the eventual match seem that much more special when it happens. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

One thing that was a nice callback (deliberate or not). Remember what Moxley said to Danielson when the team up was proposed?

"I don't group up with somebody unless I've BLED with them"

Blood In, Wheeler Yuta.

Technically, only Yuta bled. They didn't JUST BLEED together.

Don’t really watch Rampage but i did this week. Some thoughts-

AmDrag V Trent was great, Danielson took some nasty bumps to his head. 

Red Velvet is terrible, Willow looked 10 times better and should have gone over. That finish-yeesh!

Speaking of bad finishers- what the fuck is Swerves supposed to be?

I do not ‘get’ Danhausen. I do ‘get’ HOOK though so I am a small bit intrigued to see where it goes. 

Yuta V Mox deserves all the praise and stars. 

• Like 3