DVDVR Message Board

AEW RAMPAGE!- 4/9/2022! MOX vs YUTA! DANIELSON vs TRENT!

DEAN

I am overwhelmed with pro wrestling love.

Bryan vs Trent.

Mox vs Wheeler Muta.

We are getting Joe vs MiSu.

And then right after the show I hopped on a train to Osaka to catch up with some old friends I haven't seen in literally years:

Spoiler

WbQvTTQ.jpg

MlOSktZ.jpg

There's a semi full set of pics up on the Life In Japan thread in the Japan section if anyone wants to see/read more about Osaka Pro at Osaka Castle.

Overall, just about the best possible day of pro wrestling fandom, topping off an amazing week. Busy or not, I wanted to post that.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 12

I have some thoughts about Yuta vs Mox, and I am actually kind of glad I'm not obliged to write it up for SC, though I'm also curious what Phil and Eric think about it.

• As pro wrestling spectacle, it was obviously tremendous and effective. Capital in the form of Mox's presence and record and intensity and moves are built up and they can be paid off either within a match through kickouts to create a dramatic moment or as part of a bigger story by having someone survival a lot of them and thus be elevated in the eyes of the fan. When you pair that, the blood, the pre- and post- match and the previous Danielson match plus the backstage bit about Wheeler wanting to be the best wrestler, not a best friend, you're going to make a guy to a degree. That he has the secondary outlet of ROH and can hold a title there so that he won't be entirely lost in the mix as are some people who get elevated for a few weeks on AEW TV only helps him.
  • The pre-match and the post-match were great. That initial dive isn't done every day and when it is done, it matters. We saw a similar sort of ambush with Andrade and Darby a week or two ago and that only helped that match. The post-match with Regal lurking about  with excitement and the drawing the letters on the chest is an all time moment. Totally iconic. I can't think it was planned because there's no reason to think Yuta's blood, which came early into the match, would last so long that he'd even be able to do that. That's, also, I think, why Excalibur couldn't adapt in the moment and just spoke about the next show instead of freaking out for Yuta doing it.
  • All that said, while it was a great angle, a great bit of progression, a great storyline, great spectacle, iconic imagery, I don't actually think the match was better than the Danielson/Yuta one. I'm not a big execution guy, but when it comes to a match like this and a story like this, the execution needs to be there, and I wasn't nearly as sold on Yuta here as I was vs Danielson. Some of that is that his moves and counters flow better with Danielson, but I also got the sense he threw more oomph/mustard/stiffness into his stuff against Danielson when we needed more of that here. Some of that is the blood loss, sure. Some of it was that the story here was that he was to survive Mox where against Danielson it was about showing him up at times and meeting him head-on. But there are also things like the inverted atomic drop, rush into the corner with the up and over or going for a superfly splash instead of something more gnarly even if it's one of his trademark moves. I would have liked the timing on some of the big kickouts to come just a little closer to 3 (or alternatively a little more brazen and earlier).
  • I'm kind of saying that I think this was more carried by the blood and the kickouts (smoke and mirrors), and the execution wasn't quite what it needed to be at times to really take it over the top, whereas the Danielson match had a lot more substance to it, even while telling a very similar story of Danielson cruelly beating him down and Yuta refusing to stay down but leaning into things and even getting one up on him more.
  • But it worked for the crowd and it worked as an angle and the post-match worked for me absolutely. I guess it's like Mox said: now the hard work for Yuta begins. I don't think he's made because I don't think he's consistently there yet. But he's on a path now and he just might get there.

I'd also go so far as to say while this might have been better spectacle and "pro wrestling," that Danielson vs Trent was probably the better actual match.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 8

I don't have an issue with the segment, but not entirely sure how Danhausen vs Hook is going to work as a match - or indeed how Danhausen is going to work. I'm not saying it won't, it's just that until the match actually looks like happening I'm kind of yadda yaddaing it. 

Agree with @Matt D on Yuta, he's good and the live crowd was down but yeah some work to do here yet.

But AEW has more hits than misses, and does a pretty good job of managing a gargantuan roster.

• Like 2

The inevitable Yuta/Trent match (feud?) should seriously rule. 

Two great fucking matches and a lot of stuff worth quick bursts of fast-forward. Sign Willow, goddamnit!!! Girl's got tons of potential and the crowd likes her.

• Like 7

I liked Willow/Velvet until they did the finish at 1/4 speed like Zack Snyder had hijacked the truck. Velvet got the win, but if I had to guess which woman will be a huge star in a couple of years I’d go with Ms. Nightingale. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I have some thoughts about Yuta vs Mox, and I am actually kind of glad I'm not obliged to write it up for SC, though I'm also curious what Phil and Eric think about it.

• As pro wrestling spectacle, it was obviously tremendous and effective. Capital in the form of Mox's presence and record and intensity and moves are built up and they can be paid off either within a match through kickouts to create a dramatic moment or as part of a bigger story by having someone survival a lot of them and thus be elevated in the eyes of the fan. When you pair that, the blood, the pre- and post- match and the previous Danielson match plus the backstage bit about Wheeler wanting to be the best wrestler, not a best friend, you're going to make a guy to a degree. That he has the secondary outlet of ROH and can hold a title there so that he won't be entirely lost in the mix as are some people who get elevated for a few weeks on AEW TV only helps him.
  • The pre-match and the post-match were great. That initial dive isn't done every day and when it is done, it matters. We saw a similar sort of ambush with Andrade and Darby a week or two ago and that only helped that match. The post-match with Regal lurking about  with excitement and the drawing the letters on the chest is an all time moment. Totally iconic. I can't think it was planned because there's no reason to think Yuta's blood, which came early into the match, would last so long that he'd even be able to do that. That's, also, I think, why Excalibur couldn't adapt in the moment and just spoke about the next show instead of freaking out for Yuta doing it.
  • All that said, while it was a great angle, a great bit of progression, a great storyline, great spectacle, iconic imagery, I don't actually think the match was better than the Danielson/Yuta one. I'm not a big execution guy, but when it comes to a match like this and a story like this, the execution needs to be there, and I wasn't nearly as sold on Yuta here as I was vs Danielson. Some of that is that his moves and counters flow better with Danielson, but I also got the sense he threw more oomph/mustard/stiffness into his stuff against Danielson when we needed more of that here. Some of that is the blood loss, sure. Some of it was that the story here was that he was to survive Mox where against Danielson it was about showing him up at times and meeting him head-on. But there are also things like the inverted atomic drop, rush into the corner with the up and over or going for a superfly splash instead of something more gnarly even if it's one of his trademark moves. I would have liked the timing on some of the big kickouts to come just a little closer to 3 (or alternatively a little more brazen and earlier).
  • I'm kind of saying that I think this was more carried by the blood and the kickouts (smoke and mirrors), and the execution wasn't quite what it needed to be at times to really take it over the top, whereas the Danielson match had a lot more substance to it, even while telling a very similar story of Danielson cruelly beating him down and Yuta refusing to stay down but leaning into things and even getting one up on him more.
  • But it worked for the crowd and it worked as an angle and the post-match worked for me absolutely. I guess it's like Mox said: now the hard work for Yuta begins. I don't think he's made because I don't think he's consistently there yet. But he's on a path now and he just might get there.

I'd also go so far as to say while this might have been better spectacle and "pro wrestling," that Danielson vs Trent was probably the better actual match.

I dig your analysis (as per usual), and understand the comparison, but, in conclusion, it feels a little too much at the sake of overshadowing this great match.  Side by side I would definitely take the Danielson match, but no reason to resist two great matches both unique in their presentation.  You hit the nail on the head - he's bloody surviving here.  I was fine with the Superfly Splash.  I think that was about the biggest one he's hit, and likely to make that move special going forth.  And why not a straight up Splash?  Who needs rotations?  Between Yuta's and Jonah's devastating finisher version I'm sold in 2022. 

I mention all this moreso because I had a similar personal issue with the Bucks-FTR-Briscoes situation,  so enamoured with the former, and it overshadowed the latter.  But found the antidote with an encore viewing.  On this show, we had a fine match with Trent and Dragon overshadowed by the Main.  Going back, I'm as enamoured as most here with that opener.  Note: going back means watching the far superior FITE version of this show.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

The Yuta/Moxley series is the best version of Ole's Georgia Tommy Rich vs. Abdullah The Butcher series where the plucky underdog rookie gets closer and closer in losing efforts. Normally the kickout of the high angle paradigm shift would annoy me but it was so specifically built into that moment for those two that it worked. 

I remember last summer posting more than a few times that they were close to something special in terms of an in house wrestling style with the likes of Miro and Darby. If only they had cut down on a few of the spots, moved away from the worst elements of PWG while maintaining the high octane and wild elements of it, slowed it down just a touch and relied on storytelling and emotion a bit like how Miro and Darby can do they'd have the perfect style. Mox and Yuta was that. Maybe a little snugger is the only remaining criticism. That kind of shit is my favourite style of wrestling. Physical, emotional, passionate storytelling that shows growth of wrestlers through both success and failure. Yuta cut the cute shit out and leaned into being a resilient fucker and he's better off by miles as a result. This company is so good at building talent that they could lose their top 5 or even 10 guys and recover in little time by elevating the next batch. 

Khan is an annoying nerd billionaire but he can book a wrestling program. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I liked Willow/Velvet until they did the finish at 1/4 speed like Zack Snyder had hijacked the truck. Velvet got the win, but if I had to guess which woman will be a huge star in a couple of years I’d go with Ms. Nightingale. 

Yeah, Nightingale is close. She's got the charisma/presence and her power offense is awesome. Just drop the unnecessary shit and do only stuff you can do well every time and at normal speed.

There are moments where it feels like Velvet can put things together and become a good wrestler and then there are many where I just have a tough time seeing it. 

• Like 4

Human beings are made up of multitudes.  We all have strengths and weaknesses.  I have nothing but love for the provider of this fantastic product.  Nobody should be on twitter.  Other than maybe the joyful comedians like the Nyla Roses.  Or Naylor.  

Velvet over Willow Nightingale was one of the few moments in this company's history where I felt like 'the made person' got an undeserving win.  Tho, unlike the E at it's finest, I can understand the decision.  

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

And why not a straight up Splash? 

I didn't want rotations. If he was going to go up there, I think I wanted a kneedrop to the teeth, mainly. Otherwise, like I said, it was all good pro wrestling presentation. I just wasn't feeling it as much as some of you on a first watch. It's not that I wasn't feeling it at all.

Just now, Matt D said:

I didn't want rotations. If he was going to go up there, I think I wanted a kneedrop to the teeth, mainly. Otherwise, like I said, it was all good pro wrestling presentation. I just wasn't feeling it as much as some of you on a first watch. It's not that I wasn't feeling it at all.

Ha, okay, I guess a kneedrop to the teeth is a nice piece of business.  Still, I dig his commitment to the Superfly Splash.  And I get ya.  In all honesty, I think you probably liked it more than I did on first view.

And just to reiterate, part of the joy of wrestling is to use manipulative elements like blood and kickouts of established moves and hierarchical elements to cover for what might not actually be there. Usually I 100% go for that stuff! It's my bread and butter when done well and appropriately and sparingly and with meaning. It's just in this particular Blackpool Combat Club story, I want the "there" to be there too.

Edited by Matt D

I kind of like Swerve’s offense, but if he’s aiming for unique grappling that would complement his work he should watch tape of Arez’s strange style and Matt’s French catch posts. 

• Like 3

Mox vs Yuta was dope. Did not expect that much blood & intensity. And again that Boston crowd elevated the match by being so into it.

I'm over Red Velvet. She doesn't belong on TV. If you're wanting to put her over in an enhancement match, pick someone she can outshine. Willow out classed her like crazy. Willow was over. Has a personality. Hits her shit clean (except for the moonsault). But let's be honest the moonsault looking bad was on Velvet here. It's her job to roll far enough in to get out of the way. The Mercedes moonsault from ROH was Willow's fault. But this one was all Velvet.

I don't think Danhausen vs Hook is the route they're going. I think unlikely odd couple friends is the destination. The curse doesn't work on Hook and Danhausen needs to befriend him and learn how his powers work. Wonder how much longer before Danhausen is cleared to wrestle. I'll be very interested how they present him in a full on match.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Am I the only guy who thought [Yuta] was an actual Japanese wrestler on excursion here until recently? I had no idea he was a biracial American.

You know who I think that Yuta with a beard sorta looks like? Manny Pacquiao

so it’s possible for white people to confuse Yuta with a variety of backgrounds (Yuta isn’t part Filipino, FTR)

42 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I kind of like Swerve’s offense, but if he’s aiming for unique grappling that would complement his work he should watch tape of Arez’s strange style and Matt’s French catch posts. 

Arez was the first thing I thought of during the Tony Nese match.  More Strange Style!

• Like 3

Trent vs Bryan was badass!

Yuta vs Mox starts out nice. I'm starting to warm up to not only Mox's in ring stuff, but the female vocs version of Wild Thing as well. Bleeding Yuta! Holy shit! Yuta with a performance of his life! Amazing! Regal hand! Holy fuck!

Edited by Shartnado
Shit that ruled!
  • Like 4

What a fun episode of Rampage. Trent vs. Bryan was a really good match. But man, Yuta vs Mox was amazing. I almost wish that was a PPV match. Wheeler brought it big time and it feels like a new star was born especially with the crowd chanting his name. Excellent all around.

• Like 3