DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

7 hours ago, elizium said:

Happy 10 year anniversary to "That's a clown question, bro."

I loved that from Bryce. It WAS a clown question. 

Apparently, Joe Maddon got a Mohawk to help break the Angels' losing streak. The players never saw it, though, because he got fired first. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - the Chargers aren't the only current pro sports team that has family ownership feuding with each other

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34071306/orioles-ceo-john-angelos-wrested-control-team-expense-brother-suit-claims

Basically one Angelos brother is suing the other brother over control of the Orioles

To follow up on this - John Angelos is the current Chairman and CEO of the Os

Louis Angelos is the one suing and, unsurprisingly, one of the things Louis said was that John was going to do was move the team to Tennessee

So John released a statement this morning that was basically the Orioles will leave Baltimore over his dead body.

(https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/lawsuit-alleges-son-of-peter-angelos-sought-to-wrest-control-of-orioles-from-brother - this is a really good recap of the entire lawsuit)

I do like that one of the things Louis is pissed about is that Brady Anderson of all people was fired

I believe that Angelos wants to move the team but there are two major things holding them back.   The fact that they still have one of the 5 best stadiums in the majors or that the reaction to them moving would make the Colts move in 1984 look like a regular apartment move.   Not getting out of there in the middle of the night this time

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I believe that Angelos wants to move the team but there are two major things holding them back.   The fact that they still have one of the 5 best stadiums in the majors or that the reaction to them moving would make the Colts move in 1984 look like a regular apartment move.   Not getting out of there in the middle of the night this time

Maryland just threw a big bag of money at them.

They aren't going anywhere unless the family sells the team - which going back to the lawsuit, seems to be part of the issue as it seems that Louis (not in charge brother) and Gloria (the sister) seem to want to sell. John (brother in charge) and the Mom (whose name I am spacing on) want to keep the team in Baltimore.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hey - they could be the Tigers who just put Eduardo Rodriguez on the restricted list because he is refusing to play for them or something

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/06/tigers-place-eduardo-rodriguez-on-restricted-list.html

Read that article and feel like I didn't learn anything. Very confusing (story, not the article). 

Edited by Tabe

The Cards Miles Mikolas lost a no hitter with 2 outs in the 9th (and 2 strikes on the hitter)

He gave up a hit on his 129th pitch which is the most in the majors this season 

(For the record - Mikolas says he is in the best shape of his life and that number of pitches doesn't bother him)

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Good grief.  They say if you watch enough baseball, you'll see something you've never seen before.  I've seen thousands of games - never seen that!  Unreal.  What a perfect storm of stuff - a shattered bat, a broken piece that somehow keeps rotating instead of going forward like they always do, the broken end (instead of the unbroken end) being the one to go toward the ump, AND just the right angle to go through the narrow mask opening.  Wow.  Glad it wasn't worse cuz that could've been really, really bad for him.

The Astros become the first team to have 2 Immaculate Innings in one game. Luis Garcia and Phil Maton each threw one.

There have now been 106 recorded immaculate innings in major league history, and Wednesday marked the first time there have been two on the same day. And the Astros managed to twirl them both, moving them into a tie for most by one franchise with the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers (nine each).

Get your shocked faces ready... 

Heyman is reporting that MLB owners are furious at the Oakland situation.   The A's ownership apparently pocketed all of their revenue sharing money and are still dragging their feet on the new stadium.  

Manfred seems to think the deal will get done, but lord almighty, is it more than past time to Montreal them and get them to a new city. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Manfred seems to think the deal will get done, but lord almighty, is it more than past time to Montreal them and get them to a new city. 

Well that basically goes hand in hand yesterday with Manfred basically saying Tampa and Oakland needed new stadiums or he would consider moving them.

He means it this time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Heyman is reporting that MLB owners are furious at the Oakland situation.   The A's ownership apparently pocketed all of their revenue sharing money and...

They're furious they didn't keep doing it themselves!

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well that basically goes hand in hand yesterday with Manfred basically saying Tampa and Oakland needed new stadiums or he would consider moving them.

He means it this time!

I, for one, cannot wait for the 2024 MLB TV special where Charlotte and Portland have a lottery to decide which city gets the A's and which gets the Rays. 

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Heyman is reporting that MLB owners are furious at the Oakland situation.   The A's ownership apparently pocketed all of their revenue sharing money and are still dragging their feet on the new stadium.  

I'm so shocked that ownership would just pocket the money and not spend it.  I just cannot fathom an ownership doing that.  No way.  You're lying to me.