DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

The Atlanta Braves acquired the 35th pick in Sunday's Major League Baseball draft from the Kansas City Royals for center-field prospect Drew Waters, right-handed pitching prospect Andrew Hoffmann and Double-A third baseman CJ Alexander.

The draft choice, which is tradable because it is a competitive-balance pick given to small-market and low-revenue teams, comes with a slot value of $2,202,100. The Braves' bonus pool will swell to more than $10.2 million, moving them from the 19th-most available money to ninth.

Waters, 23, was at one point a consensus top-100 prospect but has plateaued at Triple-A over the past two seasons. A switch-hitter whose glove is good enough to keep him in center field long term, Waters is the key to the deal for Kansas City, joining its young core of Bobby Witt Jr., MJ Melendez, Vinnie Pasquantino and the soon-to-arrive Nick Pratto. Waters has been added to Kansas City's 40-man roster and optioned to Triple-A Omaha.

Chosen with the 41st pick in the 2017 draft, Waters is hitting .246/.305/.393 in 49 games at Triple-A this season. The emergence of Michael Harris II, the Braves' rookie center fielder, made Waters expendable.

Alright, maybe it's good that the Fish traded JT for pennies on the dollar.  

Anywho...  Albert Pujols is entering the home run derby.  Because it's fun to watch a 42 year old hit balls 250 feet  er...  I mean, a future Hall of Famer take a final bow. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Pretty confident that JT Realmuto spent a portion of 1997 cheering Stone Cold and calling Bret Hart "Shitman"

Considering he's hitting .240 with an OPS of .684 it's probably better for them that he doesn't play

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

It's funny that you think Pujols is only 42

tbf, I typed in 50 at first, but then thought, eh, I'll change it to what wiki says. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

It's funny that you think Pujols is only 42

Pujols is the one guy whose age rumors have persisted despite him going to school in the US. A bunch of players got banged on age fabrication for travelling post-9/11 so either Pujols is baseball's Colonel Tom Parker or he might actually be born in 1980. They've popped some other good players for that so it's not like DHS is protecting Pujols' reputation when they wouldn't do that for Vlad Guerrero or Miguel Tejada

A certain amount of the rumors started with suburban people mad that Pujols smashed the baseball in high school games in 1998.

Orioles are officially at .500

This also means that no team in the AL East - a division where the 1st place team has a 14 game lead - has a losing record

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Orioles are officially at .500

This also means that no team in the AL East - a division where the 1st place team has a 14 game lead - has a losing record

I'm fucking giddy.  I have no expectations about anything especially this year.  But it sure is nice to after the years they've been having.  I do have to laugh when the team says one main reason is that they're just having more fun.  It's like they all saw "Rookie of the Year" and went "Yeah, that's it, let's have some fun!"

I still expect them to finish maybe in 4th place especially since All Star break hasn't happened yet.  But even if they're fifth and it's a tight race I'll take it.  Sometimes it's best to just enjoy the progress however little it may be.

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Blue Jays have fired Charlie Montoyo.

Well now

Someone clearly still has outsized expectations for this season

Bench Coach John Schneider will be interim for the rest of the season

I didn't realize Schneider knew how to make all the pitchers healthy but here we are

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Considering he's hitting .240 with an OPS of .684 it's probably better for them that he doesn't play

With those numbers, that's nearly a team leader on the Cubs.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I didn't realize Schneider knew how to make all the pitchers healthy but here we are

Maybe he gives them Uncle Jesse's shine.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I have no idea what Passan is talking about with the losing the clubhouse stuff. Where did that come from?

There's been regression with a lot of the players this year. There is chatter there is too much of a hands off approach to the young guys and there is a lack of accountability. When Guerrero has 2 balls pass through the webbing of his glove in one half season why is he still using a shitty glove. Probably the same reason his ass is getting bigger. He only works out in the off season and no one is keeping on him. Charlie also has his little league approach to the lineup. Everyone gets a turn. Raimel Tapia is the 4th OF we shouldn't be seeing him every day when the other guys are healthy. No reason Bo Bichette still needs to throw the high heat all the time on routine ground balls. No need for guys to have weekly games off. Charlie was a good guy for a team with no expectations that was young with several Spanish speaking players. He is struggling this year and often has that confused look on his face

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Of course you could blame Charlie for overusing certain relief pitchers leading to their injuries. Even if you don't trust certain guys you can't keep rolling out Yimi Garcia 3 nights in a row

On 7/11/2022 at 12:10 PM, Cobra Commander said:

meanwhile the Royals are in Toronto on Thursday so guess I’ll find out which guys could have kept them under 85% vaccinated last year.

The answer is.... TEN~!

In a later Tweet, Passan pointed out that 25 players TOTAL had been unable to play in Canada so far this season

The Royals with 10 all by their little lonesome

• Haha 1