DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah because there weren't brawls in the NL when pitchers hit.

The only way to stop pitchers from throwing at batters it to put the ball on a tee and eliminate the position entirely.

The Angels specifically changed their starter yesterday to a rookie who could eat a suspension just so they could throw at the Mariners very first batter. So when get they "get their revenge", they aren't waiting for the perfect scenario where the pitcher might end up at bat - especially if it is a relief pitcher.

Trevor Hoffman had 36 plate appearances in his entire career. That is a whole lotta teams never getting a chance to throw at him if that is what they are waiting for.

It all goes back to the bullshit of "Unwritten Rules" - you either have managers telling a rookie to do it or the veteran (think Justin Verlander or Max Scherzer types) who do it on there own. It also falls on the umps - there should have been ejections after the very first pitch. There weren't so Angels tried AGAIN. All because they didn't like that Mike Trout got a pitch up and in the night before.

If Ohtani was on the mound - no one is getting thrown at yesterday.

This has zero to do with there being a DH

Fair enough. Just let them throw at batters, and ban charging? My guy takes one, your guy takes one, move on. . .unless you go for the dome. Hit a guy in the head and its 60 games or somesuch.

I'd go with "for every batter hit, the pitching team's best position player (determined by whatever advanced metric) is suspended for 7 games", and I'd think you'd find a remarkable regaining of pitch control within weeks.

Edited by Hamhock

e128093e-b017-4d59-83d0-d4ccc2b19c5a_tex

I'm not even mad,. Mariners gave up nothing to get him and this means Vinnie P FINALLY gets called up a month after I initially stashed him in my fantasy league.

Billionaire sports businessman David Blitzer has officially joined the Cleveland Guardians as a minority owner and will eventually take control of the ballclub.

The team announced its agreement with Blitzer, 52, and his investment group Monday, the final step in him taking a minority stake in the American League team.

Owner Paul Dolan had been looking for a minority investor for several years and ended his search with Blitzer, who also has ownership stakes in the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers and NHL's New Jersey Devils.

Major League Baseball approved Blitzer's purchase earlier this month. In addition to the Sixers and Devils, Blitzer also has sports holdings with soccer clubs Crystal Palace and Real Salt Lake.

It is believed that Blitzer initially will have 25-30% ownership and will have the right to increase his stake to a controlling interest in several years.

Blitzer's addition should give the Guardians an infusion of capital to perhaps be more aggressive in free agency and in signing some of their younger players.

Oakland catcher Sean Murphy had 2 catcher interferences called against him in the same inning last night in a game against the Yankees

The last time that happened was July 2020 against Baltimore's Pedro Severino when they were playing.... the Yankees

Murphy admitted he was at fault

"That's a terrible mistake, terrible mistakes. I feel bad for my pitchers," said Murphy, a 2021 Gold Glove catcher. "Too close. Those are big guys. I got to know they have long swings. I got to back up."

It's real simple to end brawls and end throwing at guys. 

Throw at a guy? 20 games. 

Charge the mound? 20 games. 

Grab the hitter after he gets hit? 20 games. 

Leave your position, dugout, or bullpen? 20 games. 

You're the manager and any of the above happen? 20 games. 

You're the owner and any of the above happen? $1,000,000. 

And if any guy gets suspended for the above, you lose his roster spot for the duration so you're 1 guy short for the next 20.

You'll see brawls disappear immediately. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tabe said:

And if any guy gets suspended for the above, you lose his roster spot for the duration so you're 1 guy short for the next 20.

This actually already happens

However, the rub is that MLB allows the teams to stagger the suspensions so they aren't losing all the guys at once.

I also want to put in the reminder that MLB would need MLBPA's approval for any drastic punishment changes.

So as much as you might all love 50 game suspensions or what not - they will never happen.

The only thing I could see being agreed upon is automatic suspensions for leaving the dugout/bullpen

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This actually already happens

However, the rub is that MLB allows the teams to stagger the suspensions so they aren't losing all the guys at once.

Yeah, the staggering thing would have to go. 

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I also want to put in the reminder that MLB would need MLBPA's approval for any drastic punishment changes.

So as much as you might all love 50 game suspensions or what not - they will never happen.

The only thing I could see being agreed upon is automatic suspensions for leaving the dugout/bullpen

Even just the "leaving the dugout/bullpen" penalties would probably kill brawls since that would leave the batter 1 vs 9 if he charges the mound.

Bryce Harper is having surgery on his fractured thumb and will miss at least 6 weeks.

So there is a chance that if the Phillies completely fade, he is done for the year.

Kenley Jansen has been placed immediately on the IL with an irregular heartbeat.

This is the 2nd time in his career he has dealt with this. The first time was in 2018 and Jansen had a heart procedure then

How many souls would've vacated the Angels fanbase if he suddenly went down shrieking and clutching his shoulder... only to pop up 10 seconds later completely fine?

5 hours ago, Pete said:

How many souls would've vacated the Angels fanbase if he suddenly went down shrieking and clutching his shoulder... only to pop up 10 seconds later completely fine?

And the mirror version:

Archie Bradley of the Angels is out at least a month after breaking his elbow trying to join the fight. He leaped out climbed over the dugout railing and fell. 

Boston blew a lead in the 9th and lost to Toronto.  

Boston's sports media types are fuming that their closer, Tanner Houck wasn't there because he's unvaccinated and didn't travel with the team.

The Red Sox are 9 games over .500 and still 13 games back.  So it's not like they can afford this sort of nonsense.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:35 AM, RIPPA said:

Oakland catcher Sean Murphy had 2 catcher interferences called against him in the same inning last night in a game against the Yankees

The last time that happened was July 2020 against Baltimore's Pedro Severino when they were playing.... the Yankees

Murphy admitted he was at fault

Judge and Stanton were the hitters in both instances.

Still, I appreciate the A's finding unique ways to be shit and lose games as part of Operation: Suck Your Way To Vegas.  "Catcher's Interference Twice In Three Batters" is one I'd never seen before.  Same for the larger sequence of "BB, CI, HBP, CI, then start giving up hits too."

Edited by BobbyWhioux

On 6/28/2022 at 3:47 PM, Chaos said:

The Atlanta homecoming made Freddie Freeman fire his agents that brokered his botched free agency.

I doubt he's in Los Angeles for the duration of his deal.

Take this with a grain of salt because its Gottlieb but...

ESPN has a big suck up piece about Rob Manfred

The title is "he doesn't hate baseball. He wants to save it!" so you know where this is headed. OH YOU ARE SO MISUNDERSTOOD ROB!!!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34130915/hate-baseball-wants-save-it

That being said, a few things from it

• He basically is following Theo Epstein's manifesto from a few years ago on how to improve the game.
  • Pitch clock is pretty much certain for next season
  • Goal is to have Robo-umps in some form in 2024
  • Expansion to 32 teams is one Manfred's top goals
  • Manfred doesn't seem keen to reinstate Pete Rose, however, he claims he would have a face to face meeting with Rose to allow him to plead his case if he (Rose) wanted one
  • Raul Ibanez works for the commissioner's office as senior vice president of on-field operations
  • In probably the biggest lie in the piece, Manfred claims that MLB is working to phase "blackout clauses" out of TV deals

There are also a lot of details in regards to handle of various contentious issues including the most recent strike where Manfred showed he is an old man who doesn't understand the world of social media now

Manfred was certain that both sides were on the verge of striking a deal on Sunday night, Feb. 27, less than 48 hours before he announced the cancellation of the regular season's first week. What Manfred says he didn't count on were details from the talks immediately leaking on social media from some players, agents -- and even a few baseball writers who took to Twitter and other platforms to trash a deal they said or suggested was bad for players.

With growing fury, Manfred watched the criticism play out on his cellphone. In his view, the social media opposition helped harden players' resolve against a deal that had seemed within reach. Then came the postponing of Opening Day, and that smile.

When I visit Manfred at MLB headquarters shortly after the CBA was signed, he bounds into a conference room, plops himself in a chair and immediately launches into a rant against players and unnamed media members he says embraced the union message. "You're supposed to cover the story -- not be a part of the story. I mean, I'm not a journalist, but even I know that. I think that's kind of Rule 1, right?" Manfred says.

Manfred then describes a recent chat with Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh about the way social media impacts labor negotiations in real time. "I feel like a f---ing dinosaur," Manfred recalls telling Walsh. "Rob," Walsh replied, "social media has changed bargaining."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm amazed that in that collision between Jeremy Pena and Yordan Alvarez that Alvarez seemed to take the worst of it. I mean Pena isn't exactly a little dude, he's 6'0 and 200 lbs, but Alvarez is massive.