DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

It's time for Maddon to retire. I think the Cubs squeezed the last ounce of anything good out of him and that last drop got squeezed out just before the 2016 NLCS. The Cubs essentially won in spite of whatever in the fuck Maddon was doing near the end of the NLCS and during the entire WS. I'll never forget the story from game 7 where Theo had watched how Maddon was overusing Chapman and told him to not do it again. And then that whole game wound up being a rollercoaster ride that probably didn't need to happen, complete with again rushing in Chapman way too early, which lead to Theo running down to the clubhouse to find out what the fuck was going on.

All that Maddon was left with after that time was his wackiness and "charm." I mean, this guy had his pitcher walk in a run to try and fire up his team. It's really saying a lot when I would trust Dusty with managing a team more than Maddon at this point.

• Like 2

can Joe Maddon get a 3rd job by getting someone fired in his favor? (Renteria with the Cubs, Brad Ausmus with the Angels)

Really the only openings for Maddon right now are White Sox if Tony La Russa totally melts down, the Phillies which would probably go badly, and idk if there's really anything else that fits his patten of jumping into promising jobs so that people think he got things going. Yet, Maddon might have a slightly better case right now than Joe Girardi.

Managers who were hired before Maddon won a World Series with the Cubs: Francona, Cash, Counsell, Servais, Mattingly, Roberts, Snitker

Managers who were hired between the Cubs WS victory and the Cubs dropping Joe: Lovullo, Bud Black, Martinez, Boone, Bell, Baldelli, Montoyo, Woodward, Hyde

And everybody hired since: Matheny, Ross, Kapler, Shelton, Dusty, La Russa, Hinch, Cora, Marmol, Melvin, Showalter, Kotsay, the Phillies job, and the Angels job.

BTW, team meeting in Miami today, if anybody wants to think that the Marlins will join the club of firings soon.

Sandy Alcantara threw 9 innings of shut out ball, but OF COURSE... he got a ND, because of course.  

Miami promptly gave up a run in the 10th, BUT.... Jazz scored a run on an appealed out.   And then...

Baseball rules.  Nothing better. 

• Like 2

LAA up to 14 straight losses

Last night they decided that the entire team would use Nickelback as their walkup songs... so that happened.

• Haha 1

I've been so out of the baseball loop this season. The Reds have been so-awful plus the off-season lockout mess just kind of ruined it for me this year. I had no idea that the Phillies fired Girardi and the Angels axed Maddon. I'm fully expecting the Reds to part ways with David Bell after the season, although their misfortunes this year were mostly their own fault after jettisoning Barnhart, Miley, Gray, Suarez, Winker, and Garrett among others.

I think I've watched only a handful of games this year and those were mostly whatever games were on national TV or the featured game on MLB Network or YouTube TV. Once the NHL playoffs are over, I'll tune back in and maybe check out the All-Star Game. 

The Reds might as well throw in the towel at this rate. They’ve been hit with injuries pretty much all season.

With Stephenson on the shelf, the catching squadron for the next 4-6 weeks will be made up of Aramis Garcia and Chris Okey, who was called up from the minors today. I suppose there’s also Kyle Farmer they could use in a pinch too.

the Rays management appointing a spokesman for the group that didn't wear the Rainbow logo still seems like one of those things where I'm left to wonder "how did they decide who to pick" because the actual spokesman actually gets more heat than the rest of the group because he's the one being quoted and if you're doing something that isn't going to be popular, it's not the worst thing in the world to not get quoted on why you're doing that

Just now, RIPPA said:

Royce Lewis has torn the ACL in his right knee.... again

Got hurt the day after I picked him up. As did Haniger. As did Manuel Margot.

Point being if any of you wants to see a major leaguer get injured apparently I just need to add them to my fantasy team and it'll happen.

BTW - the Chargers aren't the only current pro sports team that has family ownership feuding with each other

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34071306/orioles-ceo-john-angelos-wrested-control-team-expense-brother-suit-claims

Basically one Angelos brother is suing the other brother over control of the Orioles