DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So you are saying that Gabe Kapler wasn't the main reason why the Phillies sucked.  

You could also say that Joe Girardi is less-good as a manager when he doesn't have A-Rod, Mark Teixeira, Derek Jeter, and Robinson Cano in the lineup everyday.

3 minutes ago, Tabe said:

You could also say that Joe Girardi is less-good as a manager when he doesn't have A-Rod, Mark Teixeira, Derek Jeter, and Robinson Cano in the lineup everyday.

To be fair - if someone is putting Cano in their lineup now, they should be fired

(Side Note - the Padres already punted on that little experiment)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Astros and Yordan Alvarez are in agreement on a six year, $115 million extension. Begins next season.

$19m per for a corner outfielder with a career 154 OPS+ and is just 25 seems like a very good deal for the Astros.

It buys out his three arb years and his first 3 FA years. Theoretically he will now hit FA at the age of 28

The Contract breakdown is

• 2023 - 7 million
  • 2024 - 10 million
  • 2025 - 15 million
  • 2026 - 2028 - 26 million

For all intents and purposes, it is the 2nd largest deal for a player in the third year of service time (Freddie Freeman is #1)

Andujar is doing great and Stanton is coming back, so it means send Miggy (and Locastro) back down to SWB because hey, let's keep paying 2 free outs because they have no options.

Yes, I know the whole reason is Andujar has options and Gallo/Hicks don't, but fuck just cut one of those two already, they're actively dragging down the team.

20 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Andujar is doing great and Stanton is coming back, so it means send Miggy (and Locastro) back down to SWB because hey, let's keep paying 2 free outs because they have no options.

Yes, I know the whole reason is Andujar has options and Gallo/Hicks don't, but fuck just cut one of those two already, they're actively dragging down the team.

I saw a Stat today on MLB Central that showed Gallo was hitting .080 with the Yanks with a runner on 2nd! Trade him to anyone that is willing to give you anything for him. 

Obviously the runner on 2nd needs to stop distracting Joey Gallo while he's trying to bat

There were quite a few position players pitching on Friday. The Royals weren't one of those teams despite falling behind 10-0 (and then cutting it to 10-3), which is probably well enough since the Royals roster doesn't exactly have any position players expendable enough to pitch an inning aside from Ryan O'Hearn, who is a first baseman that occasionally tries playing the outfield. O'Hearn was once so expendable that he pinch-ran for a backup catcher midgame after the catcher left due to injury, and then exited the game as the Royals moved Salvador Perez from DH to Catcher for the rest of the game.

Also, the Royals roster has had stuff like "two first basemen who don't start while the two biggest prospects in AAA are also first basemen" and "two COVID-replacement centerfielders that don't start so that Whit Merrifield can play Centerfield".

The roster is a mess. Also the team is the worst in baseball.

Andujar requests to be traded.  Good for him.  If the team always under .500 Hicks and Gallo would've been DFA'd already.  Sadly, they'll get more for Andujar than they would right now for Gallo and Hicks combined. 

I normally don't go in for "they should do this" type of scenarios but I had an idea today: The Mariners should sign Robinson Cano again then see if they can trade him and Jarred Kelenic to the Mets for Edwin Diaz.

• Haha 2

The Angels have lost 10 straight

Mike Trout is currently in a 0-23 slump

But hey, Shohei Ohtani occasionally hits a HR so lets keep hyping them up

Fucking ESPN

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Angels have lost 10 straight

Mike Trout is currently in a 0-23 slump

But hey, Shohei Ohtani occasionally hits a HR so lets keep hyping them up

Fucking ESPN

Okay, Michele Tafoye. ?

Yanks swept the Tigers to get their record to 39-15

Since it is officially one third of the season - that is apparently the best record in the 1st third of the season since the 2001 Mariners (42-12)

And we all know how that turned out...

(Today's game also started at 11:30 am which was super weird)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yanks swept the Tigers to get their record to 39-15

Since it is officially one third of the season - that is apparently the best record in the 1st third of the season since the 2001 Mariners (42-12)

And we all know how that turned out...

(Today's game also started at 11:30 am which was super weird)

And we know how that turned out. ?

I am amused at the new trend of managers being the ones who look like they want to throw punches and the rest of the team being like “shit I guess we need to go out there”

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am amused at the new trend of managers being the ones who look like they want to throw punches and the rest of the team being like “shit I guess we need to go out there”

Servais looked really tough with 50 guys between him and Dusty Baker.  I feel like Baker would probably break him in half if Servais HAD gotten close.

I'm also amused that MLB absolutely refuses to do anything to eliminate bench-clearing stuff.  They could end things immediately but they ... don't.  The NHL eliminated them bench-clearing brawls basically overnight.  The NBA did as well.  But MLB is all "nah, don't feel like it" for some reason.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Servais looked really tough with 50 guys between him and Dusty Baker.  I feel like Baker would probably break him in half if Servais HAD gotten close.

I'm also amused that MLB absolutely refuses to do anything to eliminate bench-clearing stuff.  They could end things immediately but they ... don't.  The NHL eliminated them bench-clearing brawls basically overnight.  The NBA did as well.  But MLB is all "nah, don't feel like it" for some reason.  

Tradition! The same reason MLB still does a lot of stupid stuff that other sports stopped doing.

6 hours ago, Gorman said:

That was the Peacock game - looking forward to seeing Cleveland play this coming Sunday morning.

I gotta say, i was impressed with Peacock's presentation, and how they set up the booth (Benetti doing the straight PBP every game, with the two color guys being regular color guys of the teams playing).  You'd think having a 3 man booth with guys that don't work with each other normally stepping over each other, but it was pretty neat having insight to what teams normally do that you wouldn't know about unless you watched a lot of the team. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Tradition! The same reason MLB still does a lot of stupid stuff that other sports stopped doing.

I have to remind myself how dumb MLB is at times.  Kinda remarkable that they're so dumb that they're behind the NH FREAKING L  by 35 years on something.