DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

For some reason, a play where Christian Yelich was called out on an obvious blown call came up on my newsfeed today.  And I got to wondering, "What the heck ever happened to Christian Yelich?"

In 2018 & 2019, he was arguably the best player in the NL.  MVP in 2018, runner-up in 2019.  Batting champ both years.  Slugging, OPS, and OPS+ champ both years.  36 homers, then 44.

Since 2020?  .205, .248, .238 batting averages.  Slugging .430, .373, .431.  A TOTAL of 26 homers.  

So, what gives?  Any actual explanation?

8 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

His Back has been giving him problems the last 2 years but this year he has looked more like his MVP Form. 

He's hitting .238.

Because the Mets are cursed - Max Scherzer will miss 6 to 8 weeks due to an oblique strain

Well I guess at least his arm won't be fatigued come Sept

3 hours ago, Super Ape said:

This is why I’ve just been pretending the lockout is still going on.

That's less than the Tigers who have had to compete against the Yankees!

6 hours ago, Super Ape said:

the A's left in 1954, have now officially been the Oakland A's longer than they were the Philadelphia A's, and they're still winning the Philly sports championship battle

7 hours ago, Super Ape said:

And he even overcounted - it’s 14 times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At least Donaldson isn’t taking the “if he can say it, why can’t I?” approach

Of course the context of what directly preceded the 2019 SI article might provide precedent if MLB suspends Donaldson for a game over this

“I called him a weak-ass f------ n-----,” [Anderson] says. “That’s what I said.”

He doesn’t regret it. He doesn’t think he deserved to be suspended. He doesn’t think baseball’s mostly white hierarchy should be allowed to tell him when and how he can use a word that for two centuries has been used to oppress his people

The Cubs just might be able to make the Reds not look like the worst team in baseball over these next four games. I have faith that my shitty team is up to the task.

Man, and now I'm wondering if I can even know who all is on the team now. There's Willson, Suzuki, Nico, Happ, Hendricks, Stroman, Frank, uhhh...umm...Oh, Heyward. Off the top of my head I can only think of 8 active players. 

Looks at roster...

Holy shit. Drew Smyly? Clint Frazier? Andrelton Simmons?

Now, I could swear that ownership and Jed both said the team would be competitive. I'm sure they wouldn't be lying.

The Padres have put Mike Clevinger right back on the IL after only 3 starts this time with a right triceps strain

I am sure he will totally be fine and that isn't ominous at all

How many of the callers/talkers spent time talking about having black friends?

Now if this gets the White Sox hot and keeps TLR around through at least the end of the year. Also suspect MLB doesn’t mind if there’s a little bit of a New York/Chicago rivalry even if they don’t play each other again this year

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Cubs just might be able to make the Reds not look like the worst team in baseball over these next four games. I have faith that my shitty team is up to the task.

Man, and now I'm wondering if I can even know who all is on the team now. There's Willson, Suzuki, Nico, Happ, Hendricks, Stroman, Frank, uhhh...umm...Oh, Heyward. Off the top of my head I can only think of 8 active players. 

Looks at roster...

Holy shit. Drew Smyly? Clint Frazier? Andrelton Simmons?

Now, I could swear that ownership and Jed both said the team would be competitive. I'm sure they wouldn't be lying.

There is only Schwisdom, Craig.

Schwisdom.

Also, this.

When your own social media account is trolling you...

• Haha 1

How could I forget Patrick Wisdom or even David Bote.

On the one hand, looking at what's going on with Baez and Bryant, it made sense in hindsight to get rid of them, along with Rizzo. The problem is that all of it was half-assed. They still got basically nothing for Darvish, they didn't want to trade away other pieces of the core team like Willson or Hendricks when they could have, and the returns on the other players didn't even come remotely close to reloading the team to set them up for a new window of contention. 

Oh well. I'm a Cubs fan. I'm used to this team being utter shit, but this is starting to look worse than when the Tribune/Zell owned the team.

Maybe the Ricketts will sell the team to help fund their shithead brother's run at the presidency? Just wishful thinking on my part.

54 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The one guy I heard (who I would have guessed was black) said "we don't need this on the Yankees. They were already the last team to have a black player." 

Oh no, that "honor" goes to the Boston Red Sox who brought in Pumpsie Green in mid-1959, in response to a lawsuit by the NAACP.  Elston Howard was the first for the Yankees* in 1955.

* - this, of course, assumes that you disregard the rumors/evidence that Babe Ruth was, in fact, black or mixed race.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:11 PM, Cobra Commander said:

At least Donaldson isn’t taking the “if he can say it, why can’t I?” approach

Of course the context of what directly preceded the 2019 SI article might provide precedent if MLB suspends Donaldson for a game over this

This approach has gotten Josh the grand prize of a one (1) game suspension.   

He's appealing, but of course, since it's Donaldson, he's already going to miss tonight because --  of course -- he has COVID.