DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

On 5/4/2022 at 1:57 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Something he said... 100%

The still is after the ejection, but the video is clear.  I eagerly await Jomboy's lip reading.

Ask and ye shall receive

Edited by elizium
  • Haha 1

If Baldelli has had COVID before, it's not mentioned on his Wikipedia, but quite a few of you probably remember that his playing career was shortened by a mitochondrial channelopathy causing severe muscle fatigue, so getting a different disease that also causes fatigue is not great.

Lately it feels like pro athletes (or at least baseball players), politicians, and maybe a few celebrities are making up a lot of the publicized "hey this person has COVID" stories.

I'm sure the numbers or estimates of tests conducted per day is somewhere but it seems like there's not as much testing and we're pretty solidly in Bob Dylan's 115th Dream mode of COVID handling ("I repeated that my friends were all in jail / With a sigh / He gave me his card, he said / "Call me if they die"")

30 minutes ago, elizium said:

Ask and yes shall receive

Bumgarner instigated the whole thing by complaining about balls & strikes but handcheck umpire definitely escalated and went way beyond what he should have been doing.  He's clearly daring Bumgarner to say something and itching to toss him and Bumgarner obliges.  They never announce anything but handcheck umpire definitely deserves some punishment for that.

if Bumgarner lived in an area with toll roads, he comes off like he would occasionally throw coins at a tollbooth operator because he's having a bad day

That being said, the whole thing sorta came off like someone in an airport getting hassled at the TSA line.

Although I should note that I've flown once since 1995 and that was nearly 15 years ago (a general date I can only remember because the Sopranos finale happened while I was in San Diego). So my perception of what an argument at a TSA line would look like isn't based on witnessing anything, and I wore sandals for my two flights in 2007.

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

if Bumgarner lived in an area with toll roads, he comes off like he would occasionally throw coins at a tollbooth operator because he's having a bad day

I think what we saw is what happens when two (or three, depending on your opinion of home plate ump) jerks get together and decide to have a phallus-measuring contest.

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

well, the Phillies bullpen is in midseason form in the 9th

It was the first time since Sept 97 that the Mets have come back and won after trailing by 6 or more runs in the 9th (or later)

Only the third time in the franchise’s history 

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

I knew the Reds were a mess but damn this record of 3-22 is like expansion team bad.  I mean for once Pirates don't have to worry about hugging last price for once 

The Reds suck to be sure to but to be a little fair to them - they schedule has been absolutely brutal

@Atlanta (where they actually won 2 games), @LAD, 6 games against San Diego, @Milwaukee and home against St Louis

They are about to start a 4 game series at home with the Pirates so we shall see who is truly the worst now

also to be fair Reds ownership seems to have about as much contempt for it's fanbase as A's ownership does so the suckage is quite possibly intentional

how old is G.A.B.?  Is it their turn to start playing the New Stadium Or We Move game soon?

1 minute ago, BobbyWhioux said:

also to be fair Reds ownership seems to have about as much contempt for it's fanbase as A's ownership does so the suckage is quite possibly intentional

how old is G.A.B.?  Is it their turn to start playing the New Stadium Or We Move game soon?

Oh its definitely intentional

GAB is 19 years old - it opened in 2003

The President who shit on the fan base also said that the team is look to build a new stadium but at the moment it is all WE ARE STAYING~!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh its definitely intentional

GAB is 19 years old - it opened in 2003

The President who shit on the fan base also said that the team is look to build a new stadium but at the moment it is all WE ARE STAYING~!

yeah, and the A's still go through the motions of pushing the #rootedinoakland hashtag too, as the team president spends every weekend schmoozing in the same city that just stole the Raiders.  Always a claim of being committed to staying so as to better blame the "uncooperative" city/county government later.

It's always the same, innit

19 years seems a little quick but then again Turner Field barely lasted 20 years so i suppose they've successfully inched the frog's water this much closer to boiling

20 years seems to be the new timeline for all sports

Especially for all the shit built at the turn of the century since a lot of them don't have the things that teams crave now - luxury suites

That being said a lot of MLB parks built right before GAB were much better designed and are beloved by fans (the former Miller Park, PNC, Oracle, Minute Maid, etc...)

In fairness, the Reds aren't asking for a new park (YET...but give it time).  They ARE asking for renovations...for reasons, of course.  

The issue you're probably remembering was the owner's son/CEO going on the radio and losing his cool about Reds fans calling the Castellini family cheap.  His statement was to the effect that "IF we sold the team, what guarantee would you have that a new owner group would not move the team?"

Which was vague extortion and idiocy since the Reds would be one of maybe 5-6 teams MLB would never allow to move. 

Li'l Castellini has since backtracked and apologized.

That said, doing a fire sale in a pique after a labor situation AND starting off as poorly the Reds are is going to table all that.  For now.

• Like 1

MLB is up to 5 games postponed due to the shitty weather the East Coast (and parts of the Midwest are having)

Sox vs Sox is still on but that game is in Boston so I could easily seeing it getting boned like the 4th inning

Meanwhile in KC, Kauffman Stadium is approaching it's 50th anniversary at the same time that the new ownership is talking up a downtown stadium

Without going too deep into dynamics. The stadium and most of Kansas City is in Jackson County. There's more people in the county living closer to the current stadium location than to downtown KCMO. But people living on the Kansas side of the KC Metro and north of the Missouri River would be closer to downtown KCMO. So if any sort of actual vote is involved, they'd need a certain percentage of the electorate to agree to move the stadium farther away from them.

As most of you probably know, the Royals and Chiefs stadiums are in the same complex and the Chiefs have floated the idea of moving out of Arrowhead and to Kansas, which feels like it's part of the Royals/Downtown process where the Royals go downtown and the Chiefs will stay and they'll get an even larger parking lot or something.

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

The Mariners are promoting their top pitching prospect George Kirby from AA to the majors and he will start on Monday against the Phillies

Man, that's a lot to ask of a guy with just 24-2/3 innings at AA. 

From that same game

The White Sox blew an 8-2 lead in the 9th

Josh Naylor became the first player in MLB history to have 8 RBIs in the 8th inning or later (run scoring double in the 8th, Grand Slam in 9th that tied it, 3 run HR in the 11th)*

He is also the first player to ever have multiple 3 run (or Grand Slam) HRs in the 9th inning on

*- since 1920 when the RBI became an official stat

• Like 2