DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

Both Mets no-hitters were on Friday nights while I was at a Royals game. So if they throw a 3rd no-hitter on a Friday night while i'm at a Royals game a few years from now, it's a trend.

I think the 2012 no-hitter happened on like one of 2 games I attended that season, which was a going away party for a former KC radio person who is now an FS1 host on a show where he doesn't have to talk much baseball and can annoy people with his NFL/NBA takes every day. Okay that's not a great humbledrag but.

As for tonight's game... I managed to get out of the stadium before it started raining but most of the other people got out even faster because it was a blowout and they warned of impending thunderstorms over the PA during the game. Out of all the thunderstorms i've rode through, that was one of them.

For all the optimism about Royals pitching (Kris Bubic, he only sucked for one inning tonight!), there's some guys who really need to pitch less and they made some mistakes to make the game worse for themselves. They certainly did not use dead baseballs tonight, and the wind was making routine flyballs dramatic.

also, upon seeing the Witt play on a TV instead of live, the whole pushoff thing does help divert some attention from "what the hell were you doing in that spot, Bobby".. like if Gleyber didn't shoulderblock himself into Witt, he's probably able to tag Witt on the overslide. Also the whole thing kinda played out in a way where they could claim that Torres didn't mean to barrel into Witt since Witt, by his own admission, slid trying to make it harder to get tagged out. It didn't even up actually mattering in the game because of the 7th/8th innings though.

Clayton Kershaw became the Dodgers all time leader in strikeouts passing Don Sutton

Kershaw's total at games end is exactly 2700

• Like 1

Basically we are a month in and if we have learned nothing else it is that the AL Central suuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkkkksssssss

• Like 2

BTW - The Yankees start a series in Toronto tomorrow

I missed this but apparently like 2 weeks ago - at least according to Jon Heyman - all the remain Yanks who were unvaccinated got their shots.

So we shall see if that is true

The Royals are in a spot where the pitching is inconsistent (at best) and people blame the hitting when the pitching gives up 6 runs and loses

If you were looking for Monday afternoon live sports (aside from Angels/White Sox), the Royals/Cardinals makeup game scheduled for 3pm Tomorrow has been bumped up to Noon Tomorrow in order to try and avoid rain forecast for the St. Louis area. The Royals and Cardinals will then play each other in KC on Tuesday/Wednesday. Cardinal games are some of my least favorite games to attend of the year so good thing they're wrapping that up in May.

Buck Showalter and the Mets are a great pairing. Both of them live in the shadow of nearby successes (the Mets in the shadow of what the Yankees did from 1996 to 2009, and Showalter in the shadow of what most of his teams do after they drop Buck)

Either we're getting the great story of Buck finally winning one, or the Mets will fail and a bunch of people will feed off of that because of the Mets being whiny babies towards their rivals

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

We'll just bookmark this for the inevitable off-season thread where somehow it gets revealed that like a third of baseball players used fake vaccine cards to get into Canada. 

• Like 4

My favorite thing is Yoan Lopez was optioned down to Triple A yesterday (along with the Cano DFA) so the Mets could get to the roster limit

So his suspension won't even begin till he gets called back up

Which probably means the Mets won't call him back up

EDIT - I should note that the big reason the Mets were pissed about the suspension was because it was only announced 20 minutes before first pitch

Jonathan Sanchez still has a pending suspension over what happened in his last MLB game in 2013.

Francisley Bueno was suspended over something that happened in 2008 with the Braves, he served that suspension in September 2012 when he was with the Royals.

The suspensions came down faster than the usual 48 hours, but the Mets were also playing a Tuesday afternoon game in Atlanta and as I already said, the league didn't want another series where the Mets and Braves started getting into it. Not that controversy would ever happen from Acuna getting hit by a pitch or something.

Miguel Sano is having surgery for a torn meniscus in his knee.

He really should miss the rest of the season but apparently the Twins are trying to be all MAYBE HE WILL BE BACK FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/minor-league-baseball-to-move-second-base-closer-to-home-plate-in-2022-as-part-of-rules-experiment-per-report/

Here's a wacky idea to increase scoring: stop letting incompetent windbags stand behind home plate and call a pitch that's 2 feet off the plate a strike.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/minor-league-baseball-to-move-second-base-closer-to-home-plate-in-2022-as-part-of-rules-experiment-per-report/

Here's a wacky idea to increase scoring: stop letting incompetent windbags stand behind home plate and call a pitch that's 2 feet off the plate a strike.

I'd also throw in "stop managing teams via a spreadsheet that says strikeouts are better than putting the ball in play"  or "maybe big market teams should stop running themselves like small market teams"

• Like 1