DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

Pete Alonso got hit in the head AGAIN last night (a total of 3 more Mets were hit) and NY has had enough

Mets starter Chris Bassitt (and to a lesser extent, Buck Showwalter) are blaming MLB and the new baseballs

New York Mets right-hander Chris Bassitt expressed frustration and concern for his teammates after three more Mets batters were plunked in Tuesday night's 3-0 win over the St. Louis Cardinals, raising the team's major league-leading total to 18.

Bassitt blamed the baseballs, which he says are "all different."

"It's extremely annoying to see your teammates constantly get hit, and if you get hit by certain pitches it is what it is, but to get hit in the head the amount that we're getting hit is unbelievable," Bassitt said. "I had some close calls tonight, and I've been hit in the face [by a line drive] and I don't want to do that to anybody ever, but MLB has a very big problem with the baseballs. They're bad. Everyone in the league knows it. Every pitcher knows it. They're bad.

"They don't care. MLB doesn't give a damn about it. They don't care. We've told them our problems with them, and they don't care."

---------

Mets manager Buck Showalter said Alonso passed all of his concussion tests after Tuesday night's game but said Alonso will probably sit out Wednesday afternoon's game.

Showalter echoed Bassitt's concern about Mets batters being hit in the head with pitches.

"It's one thing to get hit in the toe or knee, but we're getting a lot of balls in the head and the neck, and it's just not good. Not good," Showalter said. "You care about your players, and without getting into right and wrong and what have you, you reach a point where it's about safety of your players. We're lucky. You're talking about a pitch that broke his helmet. It's not good, I'm not happy."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33813547/chris-bassitt-rips-mlb-new-york-mets-suffer-3-more-hbps-care

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

congrats to the bettors who put their money on the first Mets fight of the year involving one of their pitchers throwing up and in instead of one of their hitters getting one up and in

It's so stupid of the Mets to blame the baseballs.  Blame the guys throwing them.  And, based on the video, they apparently agree with me, since they decided to start retaliating against the Cardinals.

• Thanks 1

Top of the 8th was a HBP on the foot on a 3-2 count. Bottom of the 8th, time for one at Arenado. The pitcher in that situation didn't get ejected, he was able to adjust his control against the pinch-hitter for Arenado.

The whole Mets HBP saga is sorta inching from a thing where they're the sympathetic party to the Mets whining a bunch.

Anyways, the pitch wasn't quite the same as the Clemens/Manny ALCS pitch that led to the Don Zimmer toss but I suspect Arenado is the the Cardinal most likely to wanna fight a dude. He already did it before as a Colorado Rockie.

• Like 1

bad news for some of you fantasy sports types

Losing Mondesi is more addition through subtraction since you get Merrifield back in the infield, Lopez back at shortstop, and Mondesi wasn't hitting and really has never come close to meeting the endless hype that he has gotten from the Royals org.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Top of the 8th was a HBP on the foot on a 3-2 count. Bottom of the 8th, time for one at Arenado. The pitcher in that situation didn't get ejected, he was able to adjust his control against the pinch-hitter for Arenado.

The whole Mets HBP saga is sorta inching from a thing where they're the sympathetic party to the Mets whining a bunch.

Anyways, the pitch wasn't quite the same as the Clemens/Manny ALCS pitch that led to the Don Zimmer toss but I suspect Arenado is the the Cardinal most likely to wanna fight a dude. He already did it before as a Colorado Rockie.

The Arenado pitch was a lot closer - not close but closer - than the Clemens/Manny pitch.  

As for that rookie Arenado fight, it always cracks me up when pitchers throw at guys and then hightail it out of Dodge when the batter wants to discuss things.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Merrifield hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire this year either

Being 33 and coming off of his worst hitting year since his rookie year will do that. But in the scheme of things, the only positions with worse hitting than 2nd basemen in 2021 were catchers and second basemen. Meanwhile First Basemen were the only position hitting better than Right Fielders. Whit really shouldn't play every day automatically (he's played 485 games in a row) or hit at the top of the order (but well, he's sorta there by default) but his bat could fit better at 2B than RF.

There's also an open door to various scenarios where other guys get playing time who could hit better than Mondesi's career 82 OPS+. Edward Olivares sorta got some folk hero status for getting demoted constantly last year no matter what he did in the majors. Kyle Isbel is sort of a gritty white dude that Midwesterners will naturally overrate.

The game today is sort of the story of the year for the Royals, either the pitching is really good, or it's giving up 7 runs and Scott Barlow is having to explain that his FB velo will go up over the summer.

Giancarlo Stanton hit his 350th HR last night - 7th fastest to do so

Stanton and Trout are probably the only folks who are gonna hit major milestones (350+) for a little while (I mean I guess Pujols and Nelson Cruz can if they play forever)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Giancarlo Stanton hit his 350th HR last night - 7th fastest to do so

Stanton and Trout are probably the only folks who are gonna hit major milestones (350+) for a little while (I mean I guess Pujols and Nelson Cruz can if they play forever)

As Michael McDonald would say, "I keep forgetting" that Stanton has been around as long as he has.  This is his 13th season.  Feels more like his 8th and not just because he basically missed two seasons in 2019/20.

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

update from the War on Dingers

Maybe it's a single no matter what but, man, that was never a no-doubt homer.  Don't stand there and admire it, Mr. Career 91 OPS+.

• Haha 1

Dayton also said is that the reason Brady Singer was sent down was because they are converting him back to a SP and they need to get him stretched out

Also, if Singer spends about 3 weeks stretching out in AAA, his free agency is bumped back a year because they didn’t wait on promoting him in 2020 and kept him up in the majors in 2021. Just a happy little coincidence.

When it comes to Mondesi, some people are gonna note that he was suspended for part of 2016 due to clenbuterol/“Dominican cough syrup” and that he sure does have a lot of muscle injuries.

But Dayton mentioned that they couldn’t depend on Mondesi as an every day guy, and then he played every inning in April until he got hurt for the year. That’s not a great look for the front office/Matheny communication.

Friend of mine actually runs the pitch clock for his local minor league team.  He loves his job but I haven't talked to him about the actual impact of the clock on the game itself yet.

As for the rest, I feel like most of Tucker Davidson's complaints are just adjustment pains.  Gripes about feeling rushed and the like - tough.  It only feels rushed because they're so used to screwing around before.  Losing walk-up songs and routines are a plus, not a minus.  Games ending on pitch clock violations?  Tough.  Work faster.  And so on.

I can maybe see an argument for allowing a couple extra seconds when guys are on base though.

• Like 1

At a Royals game where they’re hosting the Yankees. I’m not sure if the Yankee fan contingent at this game has any strong opinions about any non-Judge/Stanton Yankees.

The game is on AppleTV, which the cordcutters will also whine about. CB Bucknor is the home plate ump because sure. Wind blowing out to left with LHPs pitching.