DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

Just now, Tabe said:

I was ready 5+ years ago.  I don't see any negatives to it, so long as they're accurate.

The accuracy of tennis' Hawkeye has pretty much ended the discussion for me. Obviously there are differences sport to sport but there's no way the basic technological concept isn't doable at this point.

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

The accuracy of tennis' Hawkeye has pretty much ended the discussion for me. Obviously there are differences sport to sport but there's no way the basic technological concept isn't doable at this point.

The systems they use in tennis for the lines are freaking awesome.  I love the 3d animation you get and the drama that the challenges create.  

And I would agree - the accuracy of Hawkeye would seem to indicate that we can have something similar in MLB and not worry about the accuracy.  Assuming that's correct - and I'm sure it is - I want robo umpires yesterday.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Not gonna lie, I am very ready for robo-umpires.

the catch is that if you're a left-handed pitcher throwing a pitch to the location in that Hader/Schwarber PA, it's going over part of the plate before landing in a glove to the left of the plate

Be careful what you wish for

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

the catch is that if you're a left-handed pitcher throwing a pitch to the location in that Hader/Schwarber PA, it's going over part of the plate before landing in a glove to the left of the plate

Be careful what you wish for

So... a strike?

• Like 2

Just now, Raziel said:

So... a strike?

anybody thinking Roboumps would lead to less called strikes outside of the on-screen zone might be a bit disappointed when that doesn't happen

so there's sort of a delicate line between adjusting for the fact that there's too many strikeouts without turning them into walks. Anybody acting like a larger strikezone will lead to less strikeouts is selling some voodoo economics

• Like 1

Too many strike outs is more on the analytics people convincing Front Office that strike outs are OK now because statistically always trying for HR's is better than hitting for contact.   Most people want the robo-umps because there's way too much difference from ump to ump on what the strike zone is.  That's bad for both hitters *and* pitchers.  Strikes are balls that catch the plate between the knees and numbers.  There's too many umps that either keep their own zone, or get fooled by a Catcher being able to pull his glove in quickly.   

I'd think that people understanding probability to decide that there's a higher possibility of an out through a pitcher getting a strikeout than through a pitcher allowing contact is also a big factor in the increase in strikeouts. A certain amount of this only gets reversed if pitchers decide to become less good and pursue less favorable outcomes.

Jomboys breakdown of Angel's less than stellar night. He had a great point: since the DH is in the NL now, maybe all umps shouldn't have to call the plate. Put Angel at 3B and don't put him behind the plate since he's so bad there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

anybody thinking Roboumps would lead to less called strikes outside of the on-screen zone might be a bit disappointed when that doesn't happen

so there's sort of a delicate line between adjusting for the fact that there's too many strikeouts without turning them into walks. Anybody acting like a larger strikezone will lead to less strikeouts is selling some voodoo economics

The on-screen zone will get synchronized to the zone being used by the robo umps. 

13 hours ago, cubbymark said:

That would work too, but it's clear as day MLB isn't going to. Angel being designated 3B ump might be for the best.

The problem with making him designated 3B ump is that I believe he is the person who decides appeals.  So if I was a catcher and I knew this dumbass is just guessing I would appeal probably half of the pitches in the game.   

MLB and MLBPA have agreed to delay the pitching roster limit again

Teams from May 2 - May 29 will be allowed to have up to 14 pitchers on the roster. The long ago agreed upon 13 pitcher limit will start Memorial Day.

The roster size will still reduce from 28 to 26 on May 2.

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

The on-screen zone will get synchronized to the zone being used by the robo umps. 

Hopefully that would result in some good non-2D replays since they’re probably not gonna show a 3D zone overlay live through the CF hard camera.

Anyways…

49 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Hopefully that would result in some good non-2D replays since they’re probably not gonna show a 3D zone overlay live through the CF hard camera.

Yeah, I would imagine we'd get a similar 2D view from the CF hard camera during live play - maybe with a slight drop shadow to indicate 3D depth? - but then 3D replays like tennis does.

Hawkeye is a pretty good system and the best part of it is Hawkeye replays.

Some stadiums could have an over the plate camera right now and some might not be able to get that camera working in a way where a foul ball won’t wipe out the camera one day.