DVDVR Message Board

UFC 273: Volkanovski vs. Korean Zombie (04/09/2022) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

FNMbFU4XoAEYhjJ.jpg?1646604647

UFC 273: Volkanovski vs. Korean Zombie 
April 9, 2022
Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

UFC Featherweight Championship: Alexander Volkanovski © (144.5) vs. Chan Sung Jung (144.5) (third defense) - Volkanovski, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (4:05)
UFC Bantamweight Championship: Aljamain Sterling © (134.5) vs. Petr Yan (134) (first defense) - Sterling, DEC (split)
Gilbert Burns (170) vs. Khamzat Chimaev (170) - Chimaev, DEC (unanimous)
Mackenzie Dern (115.5) vs. Tecia Torres (115.5) - Dern, DEC (split)
Vinc Pichel (155.5) vs. Mark O. Madsen (155) - Madsen, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Ian Garry (170.5) vs. Darian Weeks (170.5) - Garry, DEC
Anthony Hernandez (186) vs. Josh Fremd (185.5) - Hernandez, DEC (unanimous)
Aspen Ladd (136) vs. Raquel Pennington (134.5) - Pennington, DEC (unanimous)
Mickey Gall (170.5) vs. Mike Malott (170.5) - Malott, KO (punches), R1 (3:41)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Oleksiy Oliynyk (244) vs. Jared Vanderaa (266) - Oliynyk, SUB (neck crank), R1 (3:39)
Piera Rodriguez (115) vs. Kay Hansen (118.5)** - Rodriguez, DEC (unanimous)
Julio Arce (136.5)* vs. Daniel Santos (135.5) - Arce, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Oleksiy Oliynyk
Performance of the Night: Alexander Volkanovski
Fight of the Night: Gilbert Burns vs. Khamzat Chimaev

Attendance: 14,605
Gate: $3.55 million

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one. Hoping The Korean Zombie wins the UFC Featherweight Championship from Alexander Volkanovski for the entertainment he's provided to MMA fans through the years. It's a fight between two fighters I both like.  Sterling vs. Yan 2 is the rematch of the first fight in UFC history to have a UFC Championship changes hands by disqualification. I think Yan gets his revenge providing he keeps his emotions in check.

Edited by The Natural

I love the Zombie and would love to see him hold a belt at some point in his career, but I don't expect him to get past Volkanovski.  I am looking forward to the toxic stew that is Sterling and Yan.  I dig the fights where the participants legit cannot stand each other.  Burns vs. Chimaev should be a shootout.  It will be my luck that both men pick this fight to be cerebral and this shit goes the distance.  Hey, Tecia and Rocky are fighting on the same night.  They may share the same hospital room provided that Aspen Ladd survives the weight cut.  Maybe UFC should consider conducting hydration tests at the initial weigh-in like ONE does.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

By the way, I thought Dern vs. Torres was super compelling. Compared to what she was a few years ago, Dern's standup is way better. Still has a ways to go, but she didn't look completely lost and wasn't wildly throwing right hands.