DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/6/2022

29 minutes ago, caley said:

I think it speaks volumes that Regal NEVER seems to use that name when referring to the group. I think it's funny that you have WWE who are ABSOLUTELY opposed to creating stables/naming stables until the last possible minutes vs. AEW: "These two guys teamed once...give them a name!" Not saying one or the other is right/wrong, but it's just funny.

In the same vein, I also enjoyed Danielson outright laughing at Moxley's corny "raining blood!" promo.

I liked Regal's horrified stare into the camera while Moxley was talking.

• Like 1

What an exceptional run this company is on!  Bucks-FTR was definitely their silver medal match after the gold against Mark and Jay.  To be fair to the excellence of this bout's execution, I needed to shed that Briscoes comparison and give this Bucks match a second spin.  And it definitely worked!  Wherever it lands in the MOTY polls, this was a classic!  Christian-Cole put on a nice opener.  I'm a fan of Cole's scumbaggery, but I do think he'd benefit from a little less spot repetition.  I don't know how Christian's knees survived that dive to the floor.  So too Joe's dive.  Nice debut for the big man.  Even in a sound loss, Caster continues to impress, and both he and Bowens are clearly headed for future Main Events.  I absolutely love Heel Jay Lethal!!  His low blow at Supercard (should've got that in the package there) and everything that followed was outstanding.  Excellent promo here.  I also love heel manager Sonjay Dutt.  What's the big surprise for Joe!?!  The Wardlow run-ins are fun, but two's enough for me.  Eddie Kingston's intensity and delivery is remarkable and can make most anything work - even a kinda ridiculous 'we'll commit crimes and announce them to the public beforehand' promo.  Santana's portion was weak here, but I still love him.  Tho he didn't really say anything special Ortiz continues to surprise on the mic.  I'm not sure why, but I loved Hager as the getaway driver.  Also, nice way to start a promo segment.  Jade's a big bright shining star, and it seems impossibly not to love her.  Hayter-Storm had some forced sports entertainment (seemed like quite a lot on this show), but whatever, Hayter and Storm have each other in their crosshairs - so the end result is magnificent!  I dug Julia and Shida just fine.  The crowd seems to be hip to the greatness of Serena Deeb!  God bless Boston!  They need to do some PPV shows there.  Impressive crowd.  And...  

Re: The Tables Match      
First, it might be the influence of Eric from Segunda Caida's love of vulnerable performers (late era Andre etc), but I'm digging the Hardys.  I mean I assume the pained expressions are the real deal, but could it be at least a little of the Boyz beautifully selling of their pain?  I was early to shitting on their late 90s throwback attire, but I've grown very amused and accepting.  Also, the Blade was really great in this dumb match.  I have little doubt that TK didn't see, like everybody over here, how wonky this came off.  I'd love it if AEW called a moratorium on this senseless 'Tables Match' because of what we saw here.  Anybody else feel like tables in general are pretty fuckin stale in 2022?  

• Like 5

Tag was definitely good. It was pretty well balanced/structured (feeling out, leading to a big set piece laden shine, long heat with plenty of hope spots/cutoffs, earned hot tag, big comeback, things breaking down, finishing stretch) Things didn't break down too early which is the cardinal sin of so much 21st century tag wrestling. The Dax "Steamboat/Savage" pin exchanges felt out of place during a heated comeback and there a couple too many kickouts by Cash in the stretch. Otherwise, it was good. The Briscoes match was better though. This had a buzz to start, on the hot tag, to end, but that had a buzz with each new exchange and more violence to boot. That's not a strike against this match, just a sign of how great that one was. My gut says that the Bucks will have different matches relative to their opponents and this specific FTR match was about as good as it'll get for them when it comes to me. If they end up against Mox and Danielson, I'll watch that one too though.

• Like 4

Fwiw, I really enjoyed that tag match. And maybe FTR is just so good at doing the little things that draw me into a match and help me suspend my disbelief that any other team is going to pale in comparison. It just bothers me when the Jacksons can’t be bothered to even pretend like they’ve found themselves in an athletic endeavor. Not that they’d know what that felt like, but damn. Maybe ask someone who’s been in a real fight what it’s like to be in a real fight.

The rest of the show was really good. I could do with less Adam Cole, but iiwii. Hopefully this baby gets put to bed after BOTB and Hangman can move on to a challenger worth his time.

I’m trying not to just bitch about everything. I recognize that some things just aren’t for me. Case in point; why are we pretending the Hardy’s are still a thing in 2022? Not a fan.

Hikaru Shida is criminally underused. Love her. These Owen qualifiers have been fun.

Speaking of that, Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, A_K said:

Blackpool Combat Club sounds like a name you give a generic Create-a-Stable on a '90s videogame.

How appropriate that people are calling them BCC, while AEW fans show BLIND loyalty to this CARBON COPY of other stables!

Fozzie Muppets GIF - Fozzie Muppets Waka GIFs

• Haha 3

I think there's a possibility that Blackpool Combat Club is something that sounds far cooler to Americans, than it does to British people. Because, like, I've been to Blackpool. It's not really a tough person town, it's a Holiday resort. It's a party town. The main form of fighting there is of the "Two Drunk guys lurch at each other/ two drunk women pull each other's hair" type.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

I think there's a possibility that Blackpool Combat Club is something that sounds far cooler to Americans, than it does to British people. Because, like, I've been to Blackpool. It's not really a tough person town, it's a Holiday resort. It's a party town. The main form of fighting there is of the "Two Drunk guys lurch at each other/ two drunk women pull each other's hair" type.

Finally, a new style for Bryan to master. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

not much to add, but i just gotta say:

Samoa Joe is life. perfect debut.

FTR is the best tag team in the world. i never saw their WWE/NXT matches, but their AEW work alone has been fantastic. great as heels. great as faces. good, solid promos. untouchable in-ring. i'm on board whatever they do.

• Like 4

Adam Cole is just bad at being a heel. He's doing something right in how ridiculously over he's managed to get. He should not milk for the cheers to start a match -- go right for something dastardly right away. He just stood over Christian and posed after whipping Christian across the steps (unless he did something that I missed since I watch on Roku) as opposed to jumping on a vulnerable man or choking him on the ring barricade and taunting some fat pig at ringside who only wishes she could have a real man. 

But just thinking -- he'd be REALLY good as a rogue face ala Eddie Guerrero. He could still cheat, do all of his cheapshots, etc. and use that to get the reactions he's getting.  

When someone isn't getting the intended reaction, we always think of it as someone like Rocky or New Day getting booed despite their presentation. It's the same for Adam Cole. He's really over. People want to root for him, and they want to root for him as is.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

"Blackpool" definitely sounds badass to this Canadian. Had no idea what the actual town was like.

Well, to wrestling fans, Blackpool = William Regal, thus it is bad ass.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, A_K said:

Blackpool Combat Club sounds like a name you give a generic Create-a-Stable on a '90s videogame. Whoever came up with that to cover two of the biggest WWE/AEW draws of the past 5-10 years needs to be referred to the Cody Rhodes Focus Group testers.

5 hours ago, caley said:

I think it speaks volumes that Regal NEVER seems to use that name when referring to the group. I think it's funny that you have WWE who are ABSOLUTELY opposed to creating stables/naming stables until the last possible minutes vs. AEW: "These two guys teamed once...give them a name!" Not saying one or the other is right/wrong, but it's just funny.

In the same vein, I also enjoyed Danielson outright laughing at Moxley's corny "raining blood!" promo.

5 hours ago, A_K said:

Yeah, he'll know how cringe it sounds. AEW had so much cringe through their first 6-12 months that they've almost entirely managed to shed (ring gear, music, entrance presentations etc. all were immeasurably improved in '21/'22). Still can be in their wheelhouse at times though. They just need to be careful they dont bungle the Mox/Danielson angle with corny/cringeiness as it could be an all time great pairing.

I suggested Violence Alliance. Violence Alliance is the tag team made up of my CAW and my Dad's CAW in wrestling games.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

not much to add, but i just gotta say:

Samoa Joe is life. perfect debut.

FTR is the best tag team in the world. i never saw their WWE/NXT matches, but their AEW work alone has been fantastic. great as heels. great as faces. good, solid promos. untouchable in-ring. i'm on board whatever they do.

FPuG4yTX0AQIlfx?format=jpg&name=small

In chronological order, #FTR as The Revival in WWE:

The Revival vs. American Alpha. NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Revival vs. American Alpha. NXT TakeOver: The End.

The Revival vs. #DIY. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II.

The Revival vs. #DIY. NXT TakeOver: Toronto. *****. I still think it's The Revival/#FTR's best match. What do you think?

The Revival vs. #DIY vs. Authors of Pain. NXT TakeOver: Orlando.

The Revival vs. Kyle O'Reilly/Bobby Fish. NXT TV, 20th November 2019.

---

The first four are must sees, especially the ***** one.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching it again and FTR v Bucks might be my MOTY so far.

Also I am 100% convinced that this Hardyz reunion tour is going to be a launchpad into one more character shift for their final run. Maybe something along the lines of Foley's "You just want your pound of flesh!" anti Hardcore ECW run.

Heel turn. New look. New music. New moves (lord knows Jeff needs to retire the Swanton) and they can go on one last run up the card before being put away in a TLC Match.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Danielson started to corpse when Regal said he was "off his nut" and then the raining blood line pushed him over the edge. It was beautiful. 

5 hours ago, AxB said:

As an American Blackpool absolutely sounds like the name of a tough guy town, mostly because I've always associated it with Regal and he's a tough guy. When I found out it was a beach town with Ferris wheels and bumper cars that also completely made sense as well. Because Regal is a carny. 

I've rewatched FTR/Briscoes twice now and FTR/Bucks II once. What a run these guys are on right now. Babyface FTR is a revelation. 

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Like 5

Also, one other small thing I loved in this show. During Caster/Joe when The Acclaimed go to do their littler scissor thing in the corner, usually Max is yucking it up and playing to the hard cam but this time he kept his eyes on Joe the entire time, because he knew the second he turned his back on Joe, Joe was gonna kill him. 

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

I've rewatched FTR/Briscoes twice now and FTR/Bucks II once. What a run these guys are on right now. Babyface FTR is a revelation. 

I need to watch both again along with Page/Danielson II, Punk/MJF in Chicago and the Dog Collar Match to determine my current MOTY which right now is Page/Danielson II.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

I have a premonition of what I consider to be a likely future. Andrade and the HFO vs Sting/Darby and the Hardys. Blood. And. Guts.

I dread it because you know Jeff's going to come up with something particularly ridiculously extreme for it.

Unless Sting beats him to it.

• Like 1