DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/6/2022

I've been enjoying the late-breaking card announcements the last few weeks, but sometimes it's good to already know what we're getting!

As far as I know, the participants in the Women's Owen Hart Tournament Qualifier haven't been announced yet. So we've got that to look forward to, which is nice.

Meanwhile, the first Men's Owen Hart Tournament Qualifier has been announced, and it's SAMOA JOE vs Max Caster! 

We are going to get an amusing rap followed by harrowing violence. I think AEW could have gotten away with only announcing this one match...

But oh my stars and garters there is a good deal more:

Matt & Jeff Hardy vs Butcher & Blade in a Tables Match

I am on record as a guy for whom the Attitude Era style of big stunt match is probably my least favourite section of the vast AEW buffet. To be clear: "least favourite" doesn't mean I hate it. George Harrison is probably my least favourite Beatle, but I think George Harrison is a genius and an enlightened soul. "Something" and "Gently Weeps" are two of the greatest songs ever. I just love John, Paul, and Ringo even more than I love George. So, it's my least favourite part of the buffet, but I am looking forward to gorging myself. 

It's perfectly fine to hold two contradictory ideas in your head at the same time. Part of being human.

Adam Cole vs Christian Cage

There is a strong chance this will be Cole's best AEW match, particularly if Cage is allowed to lead. I am really looking forward to.seeing how this match goes!

AAA and ROH Tag Team champions FTR vs Just Drew's Favourite Guys Ever Matt and Nick Jackson The Young Bucks (Part II)

I am unclear whether this will be for both sets of belts or just the AAA ones. Also, I am excessively stoked for this, regardless, with the Bucks as clear heels and FTR as clear good guys presumably giving this a different dynamic from part I when the lines were more blurred. Can FTR compete in two legitimate MOTYCs in the space of a single week? The Briscoes match set a very very very high bar. I'm super looking forward to watching these four guys try to top that.

That is one hell of a good pro wrestling TV show already, and they will probably announce at least one more thing by the time I get back from work and another by the time the show starts. And those things are also likely to be awesome.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5

Most looking forward to #FTR vs. Young Bucks II. When I asked my fellow posters for their most anticipated matches in AEW, I never expected it to be announced a few days later. Good job Coach Tony K reads the board! The first match was a dream match at Full Gear 2020, ***** wrongly won by Young Bucks taking #FTR's AEW World Tag Team Championship and having the long reign that was #FTR's to have. I'll be so pissed if Young Bucks defeat them for the ROH World Tag Team Championship and AAA World Tag Team Championship.

Adam Cole does absolutely nothing for me but if anyone can do something with him, it's Christian Cage. About time Cage is in a big singles match again.

Samoa Joe debuts! Be interesting to see what he has left with age and injuries particularly in his WWE main roster run.

Wincing at the tables match and the Hardy involvement as Matt is knackered and Jeff isn't far off either.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Serious question for any ROH fans - Is there any resentment to Khan having the titles move over the established AEW talent?

I think we all expect ROH to end up as a feeder/development brand for AEW but I don't know how I feel about team AEW walking in and grabbing all the gold...

7 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Adam Cole vs Christian Cage

There is a strong chance this will be Cole's best AEW match, particularly if Cage is allowed to lead. I am really looking forward to.seeing how this match goes!

Dammit Gordlow, you got me.  I didn't care about this match at all.  Christian is my definition of a bland "good hand" and I don't care about his matches.  I like Cole in the ring well enough but am tired of his BRANDING~! entrance.  But now I'm looking forward to this match.  Damn your infectious enthusiasm.

5 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Serious question for any ROH fans - Is there any resentment to Khan having the titles move over the established AEW talent?

I think we all expect ROH to end up as a feeder/development brand for AEW but I don't know how I feel about team AEW walking in and grabbing all the gold...

Well I mean they went through a long period where they played second banana as the jobbers to the stars group for NJPW, so their fans are used to the company being an also-ran, little brother promotion  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Presumably the Bucks went over an undefeated in 2022 and fairly hot Top Flight on a random Rampage so that they can lose to FTR here. That said, right now both teams feel bigger than Jurassic Express, which isn't a good thing.

Shida vs Julia should be pretty chippy. Caster is not the guy I'd lead with for Joe relative to someone who could bump for him more, but Caster can definitely stooge for him which is almost as good. Cole vs Cage feels like me taking my medicine but I'll watch it. I'd much rather see a Butcher/Blade vs Hardys regular southern tag than a tables tag.

Let's see what they give us along the lines of Punk or Danielson or Mox or Garcia (or Darby or Dustin, etc.,etc.) later today.

I'll say this. It'd be a really good week to give Yuta a featured singles win (where he takes 50% or more) against a guy like Nese or Solo or Angels (if they want him to lean more tweener).

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Presumably the Bucks went over an undefeated in 2022 and fairly hot Top Flight on a random Rampage so that they can lose to FTR here. That said, right now both teams feel bigger than Jurassic Express, which isn't a good thing.

Shida vs Julia should be pretty chippy. Caster is not the guy I'd lead with for Joe relative to someone who could bump for him more, but Caster can definitely stooge for him which is almost as good. Cole vs Cage feels like me taking my medicine but I'll watch it. I'd much rather see a Butcher/Blade vs Hardys regular southern tag than a tables tag.

Let's see what they give us along the lines of Punk or Danielson or Mox or Garcia (or Darby or Dustin, etc.,etc.) later today.

I'll say this. It'd be a really good week to give Yuta a featured singles win (where he takes 50% or more) against a guy like Nese or Solo or Angels (if they want him to lean more tweener).

Yeah, this is two underwhelming AEW World Tag Team Championship reigns in a row for me with Jurassic Express and Lucha Brothers. Hangman Page as AEW World Champion has gone off the boil since facing Bryan Danielson with his lame rivalry vs. Adam Cole.

I strongly believe:

Eddie Kingston should have beat Miro for the TNT Championship.

Bryan Danielson should have beat Adam Page for the AEW World Championship.

Bryan Danielson is the best wrestler in the world and the GOAT, you put the title on him for that reason. I like Jon Moxley, I do but feel the Blackpool Combat Club is a waste of Bryan Danielson and William Regal when Bryan would tear it up in the main event scene. Look at that hot streak of matches Danielson was on vs. Kenny Omega, Minoru Suzuki, Eddie Kingston and Adam Page twice.

Edited by The Natural

I strongly disagree with Danielson beating Page. You just had a nearly year long storyline to get Page the belt, to kneecap it with losing so soon to Danielson would neuter the long term push that he got. Danielson doesn't need the belt, he can get people over just fine and have pretty good matches without it.  We're past the stage of saying "Man, Danielson vs X would be dream-match EPIC!", and having Danielson making new stars is a great use of his talent. Also, I think having him with Moxley takes some of the pressure off Mox coming back from rehab. I love the storyline they're telling that the BCC wants to tear down the flippy-floppy style, and get wrestling back to a place where it's a FIGHT, and you're going to get your head kicked in, win or lose, and that to hang with them you need to find a place in your head that not only tolerates pain, but relishes it. Loves it.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, this is two underwhelming AEW World Tag Team Championship reigns in a row for me with Jurassic Express and Lucha Brothers.

Four in a row for me.  FTR only held the belts for two months, the Bucks' reign too often just felt like a backdrop for Elite shenanigans, and I can't even remember the Lucha Bros' reign.  I miss the simple pandemic era days of Page & Omega where they seemingly defended the belts every other week in excellent, close matches.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Four in a row for me.  FTR only held the belts for two months, the Bucks' reign too often just felt like a backdrop for Elite shenanigans, and I can't even remember the Lucha Bros' reign.  I miss the simple pandemic era days of Page & Omega where they seemingly defended the belts every other week in excellent, close matches.

I'd definitely agree with #FTR, they should have the long reign the Young Bucks had. I probably agree with you on the Young Bucks also. Off the top of my head, the only two defences by the Bucks which stayed with me was vs. Jon Moxley/Eddie Kingston at Double or Nothing 2021 and dropping them to the Lucha Brothers at All Out 2021.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

So what are AEW's rules for a Tables match gonna be? Isn't WWE's "whoever goes through A table (emphasis on the singular) loses"? Shit, they should make it best out of five in that case. 

Why do you hate the Hardys so?

?

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Why do you hate the Hardys so?

?

Give AEW Jeff Hardy 3-5 chances and the odds are about 80% he’s going to hurt the other guy as bad as himself. 

• Like 1