DVDVR Message Board

Can't move pages back/forward

BrianS81177

20 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Everything seems just sort of random. Doesn't matter which browser or anything like that.

Sometimes I can use the page thing to go through the threads, sometimes I can't.

Sometimes my links to tweets automatically embed, sometimes they don't.

Not sure whether the issue is on my end or the server end, honestly.

The part that really fucks with me is I use Chrome, it works at home 10% of the time but works from my office computer 100% of the time. Both have the same version of Windows and basically everything else the same.

Okay, so I think I figured it out.

When the board loads in Chrome and it's like this (as it is normally), I'm unable to add links or embed or anything.

https://ibb.co/4sgySdY

When I'm in a thread and there's a new reply and I click through to it, it'll change to this, and all pages going forward while in that session, it'll let me embed and all other features.

https://ibb.co/dpJmNdG

No idea how to fix it, but at least the error can be visualized. 

• 1 month later...

This is just going to be an everlasting issue, isn't it? I never had this issue before with Chrome, but now it's happening with Chrome where clicking on pages numbers in a thread doesn't do anything unless I right click the page number and open it in a new tab.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found a way to make this consistently work on desktop.  I got back into Firefox and there's a setting under Privacy & Security there's an option to enable HTTPS only on all windows.  So far it's been working quite well though the only odd thing that would happen is it would say the site's not supported for https.  I would just go back a page and click on the link again which has been working so far.  And this also took care of the Twitter display issue as well as hovering over reactions which I couldn't do elsewhere.  I would rather not have to stick with one browser for the board but if this saves spares me some of the hassle then this might work out fine.

EDIT:  Well, spoke too soon on the Twitter front.  Turns out forcing https caused an issue with other sites so that won't fix everything here.

Now I did do a quick Google search and wonder if @DEAN or anybody tried this yet.  https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/configuration-options/using-ssl-https-r273/  I know it's a step too far to ask to have a look at the admin console but I would be curious to see if there's anything worth checking.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So here's something interesting.

When I'm on my VPN, going forward or backward works perfectly.

When I go off my VPN, I have to open the next page in a new tab.

I tested it the other day by going off my VPN in the same browser and suddenly it stopped working, then going back on my VPN and it worked again.

So the long and the short of it is that Verizon (or Xfinity or whoever) is messing with our heads, man.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2023 at 12:13 PM, Sparkleface said:

So here's something interesting.

When I'm on my VPN, going forward or backward works perfectly.

When I go off my VPN, I have to open the next page in a new tab.

I tested it the other day by going off my VPN in the same browser and suddenly it stopped working, then going back on my VPN and it worked again.

So the long and the short of it is that Verizon (or Xfinity or whoever) is messing with our heads, man.

I too am accessing with an Xfinity connection on a Verizon-branded device, so you may be on to something with that - the only thing that gives me pause with that theory is that I have had ZERO problem with the mobile version of Firefox on the same device. It's actually taken me a bit of time to get used to using the buttons, tagging, and image insert as intended again instead of the various workarounds we've been using

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I too am accessing with an Xfinity connection on a Verizon-branded device, so you may be on to something with that - the only thing that gives me pause with that theory is that I have had ZERO problem with the mobile version of Firefox on the same device. It's actually taken me a bit of time to get used to using the buttons, tagging, and image insert as intended again instead of the various workarounds we've been using

I did some testing a little while back and off-VPN, nothing works. Twitter/image embeds, moving to next page, even creating links. Go back on VPN, it all works again.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

I did some testing a little while back and off-VPN, nothing works. Twitter/image embeds, moving to next page, even creating links. Go back on VPN, it all works again.

Very interesting. I wonder now if it's a security setting somewhere within Chrome, or like an auto-enabled proxy or something. I'm not the most-tech savvy here, but I'm decent at troubleshooting because the IT dept. at my IRL job is wildly inept, so I might keep researching for the hell of it

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

On 7/24/2023 at 12:27 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Very interesting. I wonder now if it's a security setting somewhere within Chrome, or like an auto-enabled proxy or something. I'm not the most-tech savvy here, but I'm decent at troubleshooting because the IT dept. at my IRL job is wildly inept, so I might keep researching for the hell of it

On 7/24/2023 at 11:17 PM, Brian Fowler said:

It remains but hit or miss. Sometimes the page forward button works fine, sometimes it doesn't. No apparent rhyme or reason.

i have zero idea what is causing this, but when the site loads under https:// then nothing works. if it is not the secured version, all links and buttons work flawlessly. seems random as to which version will load. i'm accessing across multiple devices, but always using chrome. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 10:40 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Someone figured out that it's something to do with our or Insight's SSL.  Then, you know, all that happened.

Guess it's time it gets looked into.

Man, if I am understanding what I've found on Google about that correctly, that one could go either way. It could be something as simple as the name not matching (like whether the www. is included) or there could be something much deeper.

Honestly, at this point, depending on the time/cost involved in repairing (which I'm sure many of us would be glad to contribute to) it might be worth just throwing up a stickied post telling everyone to just use Firefox if they can. I've been using it all week, and I've had zero issues with tagging, images, navigation, you name it.

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Man, if I am understanding what I've found on Google about that correctly, that one could go either way. It could be something as simple as the name not matching (like whether the www. is included) or there could be something much deeper.

Honestly, at this point, depending on the time/cost involved in repairing (which I'm sure many of us would be glad to contribute to) it might be worth just throwing up a stickied post telling everyone to just use Firefox if they can. I've been using it all week, and I've had zero issues with tagging, images, navigation, you name it.

Suggesting that visitors use one specific browser seems very 2002 to me. And especially one that is, at this point, increasingly niche.  Firefox has been on a downward trend for over a decade.

from Wikipedia:

As of April 2023, according to StatCounter, it had a 5.65% usage share as a desktop web browser, making it the fourth-most popular desktop web browser after Google Chrome (66.1%), Safari (11.87%), and Microsoft Edge (11%). Across all platforms, it again places fourth with a usage share of 2.77%

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I wish I could say that advice works for me but no matter what browser it is, it won't work unless DVDVR shows as unsecured. Tried it in Chrome, Edge, Firefox and even Opera.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...