DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/4/2022 - 4/10/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I'm seeing a lot of attribution to John de La Fontaine. The Kung Fu Panda thing would be funny. But the most Cody explanation of all is he probably owns a couple of books filled with great quotes and profound-sounding stuff, and he'll happily pull from them like Lawler with a joke book.

Edited by John from Cincinnati

I might be the only one but calling Cody disingenuous when talking about his dead father after coming back to WWE seems a bit...odd.  I think it's fine for him to feel that moment and if that's how he deals with those emotions then so be it.  Now that he made his intentions clear it's best to put that on the back burner and focus his promos on the task at hand.

And no this isn't me being a Cody apologist as I have ragged on him at times in AEW even if I wasn't as vocal as others.  But if we're gonna pick apart his promo then at least mention how it went long and he's gonna need to find a way to dial it back when there's only so much time.

Bron has a new NXT belt, the N on the belt is slightly modified and matches the new logo of the show and the new Women's belt. The metals of the new belt are updated with more colors but not as much as the new NXT Women's belt.

Nice WCW cliffhanger.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 3

Oh man!  I could dig Bron Breakker up against GUNTHER(walter).  Creed Brothers and Imperium was STIFF!  The Creed Brothers and Bron Breakker should form the Nouveau Varsity Club.  Julius Creed did the GREATEST EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX EVER!  So they're breaking up Imperium?  The Creed Brothers getting jumped by two British dudes which is exciting.  Dexter Lumis is hunkier than Duke Hudson, but Duke kisses his woman deeply, thus he makes up for his physical shortcomings with more workrate.  Actually, Dexter Lumis is way better in this match than Duke Hudson.  The finish was noncommital-  HOW WILL WE EVER KNOW WHO IS THE BETTER KISSER?  Being WWE, I watch the women's tag and all I can think about is how they are going to have the two teams turn on each other eventually.  For some reason, in the WWE, no women can get along for more than two or three months unless you are Kacey and Kaden.  I do dig that they have gotten Raquel Gonzalez to be a sympathetic babyface by giving her a bum knee to counteract her monsterness. Gigi Dolan and Jacy Jane are such good ass kicking heels.  Keep the belts on them!  Y'know, you gotta five count so it wasn't like they cheated to win.  That was good.  Nikkita Lyons and Lash Legend was good for a gal who has 19 matches under her belt (Lyons) versus a gal who has 9 matches under her belt (Legend).  They train these kids up good.  Oh man, GUNTHER's big boot is the best ever.  Breakker hitting Steiner spots is heartwarming.  He even does the questionable Rick Steiner punches.  After trading suplexes, Breakker got rolling offensively and this got good.  The nearfalls were fun.  The best was the short lariat which must have just fucking sucked to take.  The finish was kind of odd after selling the shoulder but they can run this match every week and I will watch.  YAY! NXT!        

• Like 2

All I saw was the main but it seemed real short to me. After watching WALTER just punish people in every match I've seen him in, Bron winning after selling his shoulder for a little while and that's it seems... underwhelming. REALLY underwhelming. 

• Like 1

Vice President of Talent Development Shawn Michaels and WWE Performance Center Head Coach Matt Bloom produced the Breakker vs. Ziggler match on RAW. Rare case of NXT people working for the red brand.

NXT was really good this week. Lash/Nikitta was solid, Creeds/Imperium as dope and Bron/Gunther was dope. Bron is really twitchy in a way that Scott Steiner/Booker T were IMO so his moves look really nasty plus he's so smooth that it seems like he's floating around the ring, it's a case of someone who's really athletic using their athleticism in a different way.

If Guenther moves up, good for him, if he sticks around 2.0 there's some more matchups to be had.

Oh and that last segment with Gacy was nuts! Just floating the edge of overacting but still fun.

Edited by Ramo2653
  • Like 1

Creeds vs. Imperium was good stuff though Aichner walking out disappoints me. Imperium has been one of the best teams in WWE for 2-3 years now. Pretty Deadly moving up is interesting.

Raquel/Dakota vs. TA was better than their Stand and Deliver match even with the flubs. Kind of annoyed to see the belts traded back that fast though Dakota vs. Mandy certainly has my interest.

Lash/Nikita was way the hell better than expected and solid all around.

Bron/GUNTHER was good though wasted on normal NXT tv instead of a PPV or special event. This, Aichner's walkout, and the generic music change pretty much means Imperium is breaking up with them either getting move d the main roster or released. Honestly, a part of me would prefer the latter so they could reform on the indies and terrorize it their or join AEW/ROH even. I don't even watch those but WWE constantly throwing money down the drain with poorly timed tag team/faction breakups just annoys me.

Looking forward to Mandy/Dakota and Grimes/Solo next week. It was nice seeing Grimes/Solo take form with mutual respect. Waller and Sanga almost certainly winning the tag titles is going to annoy the shit out of me.

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I might be the only one but calling Cody disingenuous when talking about his dead father after coming back to WWE seems a bit...odd.  I think it's fine for him to feel that moment and if that's how he deals with those emotions then so be it.  Now that he made his intentions clear it's best to put that on the back burner and focus his promos on the task at hand.

And no this isn't me being a Cody apologist as I have ragged on him at times in AEW even if I wasn't as vocal as others.  But if we're gonna pick apart his promo then at least mention how it went long and he's gonna need to find a way to dial it back when there's only so much time.

It felt disingenuous because of the length and him going back to it several times. I think he has legit emotions about it, but I also think he basically tried to milk it.

• Like 2

Despite the 1995 laser tag arena presentation, NXT 2.0 is getting consistently better by the week. Some of the gimmicks and angles are still total clownshoes, but the in-ring product is generally above average. I'm not wild about Imperium breaking up, but the name and music changes and watered down presentation it's probably for the best. Breaker/Walter would have been much better saved for a big event, but it was a fantastic heavy hitting match regardless. Has there been anyone who got this good this quick as Breaker? Given his family lineage he's got a leg up on most people, but he still gets everything, even his selling. Wade Barrett is also quickly becoming a favorite commentator of mine; I find myself getting several good laughs out of his quips throughout the show.

I don't doubt Cody has strong feelings about his father and trying to fill his boots and whatnot, but you could have made a drinking game out of how often he mentioned Dusty in his promo.

That Reigns segment at the end was highly anticlimactic.

• Like 1

I think it’s fair to say that none of us are mind readers, so we can’t 100% know if Cody’s emotional reactions during that promo were genuine or not. Sure. But when you’ve seen him work those exact same affectations into numerous promos over the years, and considering that this is a PRO WRESTLER we’re talking about, I also think it’s reasonable to cast some side-eye at it. Especially taking into account that some of the affectations are really...odd (especially the quick jerk of his head). As someone whose profession unfortunately requires me to look people in the face while they choke back tears on a daily basis, some of these little mannerisms I’ve never seen from another human being. And others I’ve only seen from people who were trying to work me or someone else.

Edited by EVA

Yeah - Cody's promo was great but there's this weird disconnect where one of the selling points of AEW and, really, most non-WWE wrestling is the authenticity of the performers. Cody is selling authenticity (mentioning Liberty, his dad, dreams of being WWWF champion as a kid) but you can't shake the feeling that it's all bullshit. 

Like...none of us know the real Roman Reigns. We know muh-muh-muh muh Tribal Chief but his character isn't trying to sell you his authentic self. It's a very comic book boss character. Most WWE characters are pretty one dimensional. Cody is trying to do the AEW presentation where we are supposed to be rooting for the real guy chasing his dream but I think the problem is that so much of what he says just feels so disingenuous and carny. 

And it's pretty clear that may be just the kind of person he is. 

• Like 1

We will have to see what Roman does next. Maybe hmmm...Roman vs Drew is next?

For now the unified titles are treated similarly like FMW's old FMW Double Championship and Zero 1's Junior Two Crown Championship, two separate titles but under 1 name and both come together as a bundle.

13 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I might be the only one but calling Cody disingenuous when talking about his dead father after coming back to WWE seems a bit...odd.  

You wouldn't be the only one my friend.

They pointing out just how FAKE his sincerity is using clips of his from past promos

• Like 1

I mean, I know that I'm being worked by a pro wrestling promo and all wrestlers are inherently meant to be liars but was Dusty becoming WWF champion some burning ambition to the point that a young child had to promise to bring the belt home to avenge his father? 

I mean, as a storytelling device it's a homerun but, again, Cody is trying to sell authenticity. 

I was a little disappointed in Walter / Bron. It really feels like Walter / Gunther whatever is a Brock level talent, not Bron. Finish was a bit abrupt, especially after Bron just nonchalantly kicked out of three of Walter’s finishers. Also I noticed that when Bron started selling the left shoulder, Gunther knocked him out of the ring, put a hammerlock on the left arm and threw him into the stairs and Bron put his right shoulder into the steps and continued to sell the left shoulder. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I mean, I know that I'm being worked by a pro wrestling promo and all wrestlers are inherently meant to be liars but was Dusty becoming WWF champion some burning ambition to the point that a young child had to promise to bring the belt home to avenge his father? 

I mean, as a storytelling device it's a homerun but, again, Cody is trying to sell authenticity. 

I can believe Dusty thought he should have beaten Billy Graham in 1978 and been champion instead of Bob Backlund. I don’t know if Dusty thought he should have been champion in 1988 or 1989. Well, I can, but he should have known better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I can believe Dusty thought he should have beaten Billy Graham in 1978 and been champion instead of Bob Backlund. I don’t know if Dusty thought he should have been champion in 1988 or 1989. Well, I can, but he should have known better. 

Imagine the butterfly effect of Dusty beating Superstar and he stayed in New York for a few years. Would he have become the power broker he became through his time in Florida? Does he get the book and get that amazing run in JCP from 84-88? Wild stuff.

3 hours ago, Hagan said:

Yeah - Cody's promo was great but there's this weird disconnect where one of the selling points of AEW and, really, most non-WWE wrestling is the authenticity of the performers. Cody is selling authenticity (mentioning Liberty, his dad, dreams of being WWWF champion as a kid) but you can't shake the feeling that it's all bullshit. 

Like...none of us know the real Roman Reigns. We know muh-muh-muh muh Tribal Chief but his character isn't trying to sell you his authentic self. It's a very comic book boss character. Most WWE characters are pretty one dimensional. Cody is trying to do the AEW presentation where we are supposed to be rooting for the real guy chasing his dream but I think the problem is that so much of what he says just feels so disingenuous and carny. 

And it's pretty clear that may be just the kind of person he is. 

Great post. I’m not sure how it’s going to work. All it takes is one Reigns or Miz or similar promo where they rightfully point out that 1) everyone has a dad, and 2) everyone wants to be WWE champion, and that Cody isn’t special. Like you said, it just isn’t part and parcel of how WWE typically presents its characters.

But yeah, a Reigns says something like that, the fans go “shit, he’s right,” and then I’m not sure what happens.

The good news is Vince can force the issue on the heel turn for when that time inevitably comes. 

Edited by For Great Justice