DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022

The Natural

There’s a part of me that misses being a captive audience to the local affiliate Action Pack syndication blocks because there was just nothing else on for me in the middle of the day on Saturday. Should’ve gone outside, probably would be normal now, but that ship has sailed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Can we judge today's TV by 1990s standards? BRING BACK FIRST RUN SYNDICATION! The world's itching for new American Gladiators, dang it.

Speaking of, I remember watching American Gladiators on ESPNClassics before AWA on ESPN would play (this was like 06, I became an Unknown Soldier mark - sue me). Well, two years later they tried to reboot the show (in 2008) and it sucked. So if they do bring it back, they need that OG recipe.

Now. Let's talk the perfect wrestlers to double as Gladiators. Brian Cages new gig?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Speaking of, I remember watching American Gladiators on ESPNClassics before AWA on ESPN would play (this was like 06, I became an Unknown Soldier mark - sue me). Well, two years later they tried to reboot the show (in 2008) and it sucked. So if they do bring it back, they need that OG recipe.

Now. Let's talk the perfect wrestlers to double as Gladiators. Brian Cages new gig?

Wardlow. Huge and fast.

• Like 3

So, my fine friends here at DVDVR, who in AEW would you like to see managed by Stokely Hathaway?

There is literally no wrong answer to this question. Abadon? Sure! Orange Cassidy? Hilarity! Marina Shafir? Why the hell not? Rusev? Perhaps a strange prophet but we'll take it. The entire Japanese contingent for Forbidden Door? Well the timing might not work great, but maybe next time! Wardlow? Maybe not Wardlow but it'd probably still be over! Private Party? Writes itself. Hardy Boyz? Give him one of those super tight Michael Hayes 1999 shirts!

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

So, my fine friends here at DVDVR, who in AEW would you like to see managed by Malcon Bivens/Stokely Hathaway?

There is literally no wrong answer to this question. Abadon? Sure! Orange Cassidy? Hilarity! Marina Shafir? Why the hell not? Rusev? Perhaps a strange prophet but we'll take it. The entire Japanese contingent for Forbidden Door? Well the timing might not work great, but maybe next time! Wardlow? Maybe not Wardlow but it'd probably still be over! Private Party? Writes itself. Hardy Boyz? Give him one of those super tight Michael Hayes 1999 shirts!

Tons of people. Him and Smart Mark co managing Jade ala Heenan and Perfect w/ Flair. The Acclaimed would work, Being the COO of the AFO. I don't want to sound like I only want him stuck with African Americans but AEW hasn't had a main event african american talent yet and I could see Stokley being the peice that gets Hobbs or Keith Lee there.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'd like to think we could all get behind Jamie Hayter or Kris Statlander bludgeoning contenders with those Joust sticks.

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I'd like to think we could all get behind Jamie Hayter or Kris Statlander bludgeoning contenders with those Joust sticks.

Yes, I vote for this political party.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Tons of people. Him and Smart Mark co managing Jade ala Heenan and Perfect w/ Flair. The Acclaimed would work, Being the COO of the AFO. I don't want to sound like I only want him stuck with African Americans but AEW hasn't had a main event african american talent yet and I could see Stokley being the peice that gets Hobbs or Keith Lee there.

I just pitched this in main discussion thread, but you beat me to it.

At this point, they may as well break down all the heels into different stables repped by a key group of managers trading contracts (when guys/girls start getting stale) ala Heenan, Hart, Slick, Mr. Fuji, and Luscious Johnny. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At this point, they may as well break down all the heels into different stables repped by a key group of managers trading contracts (when guys/girls start getting stale) ala Heenan, Hart, Slick, Mr. Fuji, and Luscious Johnny. 

I just love the idea of Jade having this huge entourage, Red Velvet, Keira Hogan, two managers, maybe a movement coach or an athletic trainer the rest of the baddies. Like she's Mayweather or a 90's rapper

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Rarely has there been such a no brainer pickup as Stokely. Easy money, let's go.

This Wardlow/MJF feud ends with Wardlow using War Pigs as his entrance theme, right?

Tony Khan: I'm just one of the guys just like the fans.....so what I did last night is bought the publishing rights to the entire Black Sabbath catalogue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It’s all fun and games until QT Marshall sells Comoroto to MJF.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Joe vs Necro Butcher was my first exposure to both of them and also one of the things I downloaded from Limewire that helped murder my mom’s desktop computer. 

I remember the commentary being hysterical, but I didn’t realize it was Punk, Eddie, and Prazak. 

• Like 3

It's a high bar to go to a show right now even without the pandemic. I'd have to probably bug someone from the board to meet up because I don't think Mark wants anything to do with AEW. That said, I don't feel too bad about not going to next week's Baltimore show. Jericho vs Santana, Jeff vs Fish, Wardlow vs Cass aren't exactly pulls. BCC vs Butcher/Blade/Angelico sounds like a ton of fun on paper but they do a match like that every week now. I have no strong feelings about Deonna vs Mercedes which I imagine will be good but I've never seen Deonna I think, so I have no personal connection there. They announced Storm/Soho vs Britt/Hayter for Rampage and again that's fun but it's not a Punk vs Dustin or Dax vs Cash kind of draw for me. Feels more like a show where AEW is the draw as opposed to one match. Maybe some other time.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
21 minutes ago, DEAN said:

First you got this.

And then this:

Sooooo Yuka Sakazaki versus Hikaru Shida in the Owen Hart Cup?

If Sakazaki is missing shows next week for AEW, then the timing doesn't really line up, because Shida's in Japan next week (she's working Ice Ribbon 5/4, then I think I saw she's working WAVE on 5/5).

Could happen 5/11 though! I wouldn't complain, Shida vs Sakazaki would be a bunch of fun.

18 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I don’t know if it’s her athletic background or her prior career in stuntwork, but Statlander absolutely looks like an American Gladiator.

16 hours ago, Jiji said:

Rarely has there been such a no brainer pickup as Stokely. Easy money, let's go.

This Wardlow/MJF feud ends with Wardlow using War Pigs as his entrance theme, right?

Every fucking time I hear that song, I get hung up on the rhyming of “masses” with……”masses.”

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Edited by Technico Support