DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022

The Natural

16 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

Just watched the hype video for the next show on Youtube and aside from once again seeing how great FTR are... I really, really hate how Sammy makes me dislike Tay Conti. She was such a natural babyface and now I don't wanna see her anymore.

THIS. Sammy Guevara is naturally slappable and Tay Conti was so likeable/adorable. Really sucks to see.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

From the WON radio show this morning - here was Dave's thoughts regarding Discovery/Warner Bros cutting programming

- Dave must have said "anything can happen" a dozen times which is kinda of his way of not ruling anything out no matter how unlikely it might be

- It was during those times where he was like "reasons AEW could end" and it was things like "TK grows to hate wrestling", "TK sells the company". Only reason I am mentioning all of this is because I am sure some shitty clickbait site will post "MELTZER SAYS TK IS LOOKING TO SELL!!!!" and the story will get wildly twisted.

- He doesn't believe AEW would get "cancelled". However, the bigger issue is that AEW will be looking for a rights increase and, at this very moment, it doesn't look like Discovery/WB might necessarily want to give them what they are looking for. They (AEW) could continue to operate at the same money level they currently are on but without the rights increase it would be difficulty for them to grow (to at least allow them to do their bigger picture ideas).

- Like mentioned several times - AEW getting a streaming deal (especially if it is HBO Max) will go a long way in securing their place in the company.

- He said "he wouldn't call it good news for AEW" due to the budget cutting and that the one area that Discovery/WB is looking to expand is getting the rights to more sports (not wrestling). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It was during those times where he was like "reasons AEW could end" and it was things like "TK grows to hate wrestling", "TK sells the company". Only reason I am mentioning all of this is because I am sure some shitty clickbait site will post "MELTZER SAYS TK IS LOOKING TO SELL!!!!" and the story will get wildly twisted.

My worst habit when listening to Dave's shows is unconsciously cherrypicking quotes and figuring out how NEWZ~! sites could warp them into clickbait.

• Like 2

Tony on Sammy/Tay:

“I think Sammy Guevara and Tay Conti have created a very polarizing reaction. They were red hot as babyfaces both of them separately, I believe. I think Sammy was a great, young babyface coming off some really big wins. He is a great TNT Champion and Tay Conti is a great wrestler who has improved so much and, in fact, she was voted The Most Improved Wrestler of the Year award last year in the Observer Awards, voted by the fans. She also had so many exciting matches coming so cool close to winning the championship on pay-per-view against Dr. Britt Baker, then great matches with Jade Cargill, and a huge emotional win in the Street Fight teaming with Anna Jay against Penelope Ford and The Bunny. So, I would like to you know, say that they both have come so far individually but then together, they have really created this polarizing reaction. It's unlike anything I've seen when they're together and fans don't like them. I think it's interesting.”

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/tony-khan-polarizing-reaction-sammy-guevara-and-tay-conti-get-unlike-anything-i-ve-seen?utm_source=TW-Fightful&utm_medium=Fightful Wrestling News&utm_campaign=dlvr.it

Suuuure...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

From the WON radio show this morning - here was Dave's thoughts regarding Discovery/Warner Bros cutting programming

- Dave must have said "anything can happen" a dozen times which is kinda of his way of not ruling anything out no matter how unlikely it might be

- It was during those times where he was like "reasons AEW could end" and it was things like "TK grows to hate wrestling", "TK sells the company". Only reason I am mentioning all of this is because I am sure some shitty clickbait site will post "MELTZER SAYS TK IS LOOKING TO SELL!!!!" and the story will get wildly twisted.

- He doesn't believe AEW would get "cancelled". However, the bigger issue is that AEW will be looking for a rights increase and, at this very moment, it doesn't look like Discovery/WB might necessarily want to give them what they are looking for. They (AEW) could continue to operate at the same money level they currently are on but without the rights increase it would be difficulty for them to grow (to at least allow them to do their bigger picture ideas).

- Like mentioned several times - AEW getting a streaming deal (especially if it is HBO Max) will go a long way in securing their place in the company.

- He said "he wouldn't call it good news for AEW" due to the budget cutting and that the one area that Discovery/WB is looking to expand is getting the rights to more sports (not wrestling). 

So when do they rebrand the TNT Title to the Box Office Championship?

Deonna Purrazzo says...

I’m excited. Nervous. I don’t know how many people will be in the building in Baltimore or what the capacity is, but it will probably be the biggest crowd I’ve ever wrestled in front of, possibly. To have my first match in AEW as a championship match, for the Ring of Honor Women’s Championship, is incredible. Over the last year and a half, there’s been so much talk about what the women’s crossover would be between AEW and IMPACT, and we haven’t really seen anything. To be that first woman to get through Tony’s forbidden door is everything I wanted. Alongside Britt, and people at IMPACT were very vocal about it, this is what we wanted. We wanted to be part of this. I don’t know if it will extend further than me and Mercedes next week, but we’re seeing a taste of it and that’s exciting for all of women’s wrestling.

Here's hoping they run this feud back and forth and for a little while.  

I don’t know how many people will be in the building in Baltimore or what the capacity is, but it will probably be the biggest crowd I’ve ever wrestled in front of, possibly. 

WrestleTix says the capacity with the current set-up for Baltimore is a tick over 4,000. Deonna wrestled Asuka on an episode of Raw (December 16, 2019) that Meltzer reported as having 6,800 in attendance. 

Excited for Deonna regardless. Hope she doesn't just drop the belt as a formality and disappear. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

WrestleTix says the capacity with the current set-up for Baltimore is a tick over 4,000. Deonna wrestled Asuka on an episode of Raw (December 16, 2019) that Meltzer reported as having 6,800 in attendance. 

Last year's TripleMania was also around 4500K (at least that was what was claimed)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Last year's TripleMania was also around 4500K (at least that was what was claimed)

I know it's Mexico and all, but I'm pretty sure last year's TripleMania didn't pull 4.5 Million.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I know it's Mexico and all, but I'm pretty sure last year's TripleMania didn't pull 4.5 Million.

No, that's in pesos. You gotta do the conversion.

• Haha 13

10 hours ago, Casey said:

The first woman to get through the Forbidden Door would have been Thunder Rosa, surely? She debuted during the pandemic era shows as the NWA World Women's Champion.

She was talking about between AEW and IMPACT.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

THIS. Sammy Guevara is naturally slappable and Tay Conti was so likeable/adorable. Really sucks to see.

This is debatable because Sammy was also pretty loved by the crowd during his face run.

Whatever it is, I don’t mind whatever they are now because it’s suddenly getting nuclear heat from the crowd and it enhances his matches. You’d think these guys are running around kicking puppies in their vlogs if you go by the crowd reactions.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1

Meltzer won’t have a single remote clue as to AEW status w/ the network - it’s a bit of the old psychic con artist trick or throw a lot of statements up in the air and maybe one will stick. Frankly in this volatile economic climate where cash flow is strapped and valuations are getting shredded, the network probably don’t know themselves yet, either. I’d think growth YOY will be a bit of a concern for them (as it is for every business in all walks of life at the moment), which is why AEW will strap the title to Punk and possibly move the tag titles to a more mainstream name pairing too. Whoever is talking about streaming as make or break clearly is living in the 2020 universe again - media companies will be actively moving out of the cash-burning business.

Edited by A_K

No offense to anybody who has been fretting over AEW’s TV deal in here, because I understand where the anxiety comes from, but nobody who knows what’s really going on in the TV business today is worried about AEW’s TV deal. All the fretting over tenths and hundredths of a decimal point from week to week is strictly coming from the Wrestling Bubble. Dynamite is a very successful cable property. Rampage is even a solid hit for a late Friday night death slot show. Discovery could double what Warner has been paying AEW and still be getting a hell of a bargain on their rate of return. Warner were making out like thieves with AEW.

Much like how FOX selling off their scripted TV production led to WWE being hugely overpaid for the Smackdown rights because of their need for first-run programming, Discovery shuttering Turner’s TV production only makes AEW more valuable/integral to Discovery’s TNT/TBS strategy moving forward. Everything that’s actually happened with Discovery so far has only improved AEW’s position. They’re going to get paid.

The only downside to AEW’s TV business right now is that I’m sure TK would’ve preferred to get a new deal hammered out this year,  well ahead of the current deal’s end in 2023, but all the corporate changeover could push that off.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EVA said:

No offense to anybody who has been fretting over AEW’s TV deal in here, because I understand where the anxiety comes from, but nobody who knows what’s really going on in the TV business today is worried about AEW’s TV deal. All the fretting over tenths and hundredths of a decimal point from week to week is strictly coming from the Wrestling Bubble. Dynamite is a very successful cable property. Rampage is even a solid hit for a late Friday night death slot show. Discovery could double what Warner has been paying AEW and still be getting a hell of a bargain on their rate of return. Warner were making out like thieves with AEW.

Much like how FOX selling off their scripted TV production led to WWE being hugely overpaid for the Smackdown rights because of their need for first-run programming, Discovery shuttering Turner’s TV production only makes AEW more valuable/integral to Discovery’s TNT/TBS strategy moving forward. Everything that’s actually happened with Discovery so far has only improved AEW’s position. They’re going to get paid.

The only downside to AEW’s TV business right now is that I’m sure TK would’ve preferred to get a new deal hammered out this year,  well ahead of the current deal’s end in 2023, but all the corporate changeover could push that off.

Live content (sports) are the only content that is consistently winning the nights on cable. If anything, Discovery shuttering the scripted shows enhances AEW's position. Short of shuttering down both TNT and TBS, they need content on non-sports nights. Comcast shutter NBC Sports, and has scattered the remaining sports broadcasts all over the place. SuperCross which I enjoy has been a pain to find each Saturday this year as Comcast has it on a different channel. Plus it is putting it on at different times on the east coast venues (use to always be on Saturday nights).   

Now if the Khan's decide to take their ball and go home, that is a different story. Could it happen, sure. I think the biggest concern remains TK burning out. 

• Like 3

Wasn't Nitro still doing pretty decent ratings, compared to the rest of TV, when AOL shut WCW down? Aren't ad rates for wrestling STILL lower than what their ratings should demand? Some people just think wrestling is scummy and weird, and want nothing to do with it. Sure money talks, but a whim can change anything. Not every decision in the TV business is rational.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dog said:

Wasn't Nitro still doing pretty decent ratings, compared to the rest of TV, when AOL shut WCW down? Aren't ad rates for wrestling STILL lower than what their ratings should demand? Some people just think wrestling is scummy and weird, and want nothing to do with it. Sure money talks, but a whim can change anything. Not every decision in the TV business is rational.

Exactly. If AOL keeps wrestling, then WCW would have survived with Bischoff's group buying. But no TV made for no deal. Story as old as time for wrestling. Since the 50s, wrestling and TV are intertwined. Now could AEW or someone else pioneer a streaming solution - sure. It will be interesting to see how the NFL does on Prime this fall. First time out of market games are only on a streaming platform for the NFL. 

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
38 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Saying "well they cancelled Nitro so anything is possible" is completely ignoring the fact that TV and the entire entertainment landscape is worlds different now.  That's like judging TV in the 80s by 1950s standards.

Can we judge today's TV by 1990s standards? BRING BACK FIRST RUN SYNDICATION! The world's itching for new American Gladiators, dang it.