DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022

The Natural

23 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Seats around 23,500 fans.

I wonder about politics and if the show will be mostly multiple tags. 

Anyway that's 5 ppvs for AEW this year.

The punk show sold out at 15,316. I’m not even positive they match that but of course I also said it was dumb to do rampage live in SoCal. It will prob sell out. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, matt925 said:

The punk show sold out at 15,316. I’m not even positive they match that but of course I also said it was dumb to do rampage live in SoCal. It will prob sell out. 

This will 10000% sell out

• Like 7

20 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Did anyone ever see Cody Rhodes going back to WWE a year ago? 

Yes. Here's why:

The day Tony took over creative, AEW as Cody saw it in his mind ceased to exist. Cody used to blow a lot of smoke about "making his music his way." When it became apparent that the music he was making wouldn't be "his" in either place, I think he decided to get paid the most he possibly could to play. 

• Sad 1

Golden Lovers vs. Cole and White. Guy on twitter said GL vs. Danielson/Mox. Don't really care too much so long as we get Omega and Ibushi interaction. Anything but Omega vs. Ospreay. Plz don't. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Golden Lovers vs. Cole and White. Guy on twitter said GL vs. Danielson/Mox. Don't really care too much so long as we get Omega and Ibushi interaction. Anything but Omega vs. Ospreay. Plz don't. 

There it is. Omega vs ibushi or golden lovers vs anyone = instant sellout. 

The G1 Supercard was basically a split ROH/NJPW card, with just 2 or 3 matches with cross-promotional action.

Its kind of a toss-up for me. If they book Forbidden Door like that show, you’re more likely to see big, relevant matches. If they go cross-promotional, you’re probably looking at more tag matches, but those could actually be more fun, in their own way. Something like BCC vs. Chaos would rule.

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Be interesting to see if it's AEW vs. AEW matches, NJPW vs. NJPW or AEW vs. NJPW. Wasn't the combined NJPW/ROH MSG show made up of NJPW only matches and ROH matches?

The New Japan/ROH show had the tag title match with GoD vs. EVIL & SANADA vs. PCO & Brody King vs. The Briscoes. There was also Jeff Cobb vs. Will Ospreay in a match for the ROH TV title and the Never Openweight title. There was the battle royal which featured both ROH and New Japan wrestlers. There was also the three way match for the IWGP Jr. heavyweight title with Dragon Lee, Taiji Ishimori, and Bandido. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

If OC is healthy you have to run the Yano match. 1997 era Jericho and Garcia vs 1997 era Yuji Nagata (w/ Sonny Onoo) and [pick a young lion] would be awesome too.

Time to bust out Starrcade 95. 

Yuya Uemura, please and thank you.

I'd love it if Omega was healthy enough to wrestle on this show, but hasn't it been radio silence about his return, by and large? (Come to think of it, Ibushi was removed from the New Japan Cup and nothing has been said - that I've caught, anyway - about his return either.)

Anyway, there's a not-insignificant contingent that will buy a ticket for this for even a potential hint of Omega/Ibushi interaction. But yeah, I think it's been covered above: if you want to be 100% dead certain your AEW/NJPW pro-wrestling show sells out, put Okada/Punk on as main event, and book a Golden Lovers tag match if both guys are available.

Hell with it, I'll fanboy out for a second. Give me Takagi/Naito vs. Cole/Switchblade. Shingo can get his "Shingo Takagi BAYBAY!" chant started here, and it gives us all the best possible chance of hearing the LIJ roll call on U.S. soil.

Edit: I really like @The Natural's idea of getting Danielson/ZSJ done on this show. Run the dream matches while you can. That match sells itself wherever it takes place. My only reservation might be to save it for the G1 if it's possible for Danielson to participate in that this year/maybe next.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teflon Turtle said:

I'd love it if Omega was healthy enough to wrestle on this show, but hasn't it been radio silence about his return, by and large? (Come to think of it, Ibushi was removed from the New Japan Cup and nothing has been said - that I've caught, anyway - about his return either.)

Meltzer, with his source almost assuredly being Omega, said he was getting a couple of surgeries and sometime around June would likely be his return date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you should lower expectations significantly. There will be good stuff, but they are not giving away Okada/Dragon here. NJPW would want that one for the Dome. We should be looking at this as the kickoff to a long-term period of cross-promotional stuff. They’re not going to empty the chamber right off the bat.

Punk/Kenta seems like a solid bet, though. Especially if Punk is champ. That means more in the US than Japan, and NJPW probably wouldn’t mind feeding Kenta to AEW’s champ.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Infinit said:

This will 10000% sell out

I'd be shocked if this didn't sell out on day one. Chicago is wonderfully easy to travel to, with two good-to-world-class airports, and folks will be coming from all over the country.