DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022

The Natural

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I've actually suspected that what he is doing is copying Cody because he understands that it will make him a gigantic heel and unlike Cody he is very willing to be an actual heel. And to clarify what I mean by that is that he is doing all the things Cody did that inadvertently turned the fans on him with the idea of a legit heel turn.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, sabremike said:

I've actually suspected that what he is doing is copying Cody because he understands that it will make him a gigantic heel and unlike Cody he is very willing to be an actual heel. And to clarify what I mean by that is that he is doing all the things Cody did that inadvertently turned the fans on him with the idea of a legit heel turn.

This actually kind of makes sense, given that it seems this program with Lambert and co. was originally devised with Cody/Brandi in mind. Brandi's painful Philly promo on them was pretty damn heelish. Not sure what they hope to accomplish here with this particular heel vs heel program, I can't see ATT as babyfaces. Maybe the lack of fan support for Sammy/Tay (as the Cody/Brandi stand-ins) ends up being the catalyst for the turn itself once things have wrapped up, or are in the home stretch. On the other hand, it might be interesting to see Page or Sky turn babyface independently of ATT. If we're just trying to get to Sammy vs Sky, or PVZ vs Tay, though, then I don't know if I'm fully supportive of all the different moving parts of this one. Mixed tag double turn?

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

Yeah - if Sammy is doing 4d chess than this is great but I fear too many wrestlers take being booed personally these days. The Tay/Sammy thing is a little convoluted. She obviously got some awful trolling and harassment when the stuff with Sammy's breakup happened. None of that is remotely defensible. But then, seemingly as a response to the "haters" they decided to go overboard with their relationship and talk about their sex life to the point that it is very cringe and off-putting.

It's going to be really delicate because you don't want to go full Edge/Lita where the female of the act is being insulted and degraded by the audience but it's also hard for them to be straight babyfaces because they're both really, really smug and into their relationship.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

There's a full thread of translations from that commentary if anyone else is interested:

This is the kind of reaction media I could eat up every week. Don't know if Shingo is going to be a regular but you get a lot of nice little insights with him because he's worked all over the place.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This actually kind of makes sense, given that it seems this program with Lambert and co. was originally devised with Cody/Brandi in mind. Brandi's painful Philly promo on them was pretty damn heelish. Not sure what they hope to accomplish here with this particular heel vs heel program, I can't see ATT as babyfaces. Maybe the lack of fan support for Sammy/Tay (as the Cody/Brandi stand-ins) ends up being the catalyst for the turn itself once things have wrapped up, or are in the home stretch. On the other hand, it might be interesting to see Page or Sky turn babyface independently of ATT. If we're just trying to get to Sammy vs Sky, or PVZ vs Tay, though, then I don't know if I'm fully supportive of all the different moving parts of this one. Mixed tag double turn?

Honestly if PVZ is not terrible at Pro Wrestling she'll end up a face cause she has that sort of charisma 

• Like 1

reading the Shingo stuff makes me wish I could understand Japanese better because AEW with commentary from NJPW wrestlers sounds hella fun

I might seek these out just to get a feel for the reactions.  I've watched enough puro without English commentary that you can at least feel the emotion and tone of it

RE:  Sammy. 

Kid is a natural cocky heel.  His babyface run did absolutely nothing for me.  Started with him being the one to beat Miro which I was not at all on board with, plus the cheesy shit with Fuego.  Sooner he's back heel the better.  Too pretty and too cocky to be a face, and the Tay stuff certainly isn't going to get him cheered

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Hagan said:

Yeah - if Sammy is doing 4d chess than this is great but I fear too many wrestlers take being booed personally these days. The Tay/Sammy thing is a little convoluted. She obviously got some awful trolling and harassment when the stuff with Sammy's breakup happened. None of that is remotely defensible. But then, seemingly as a response to the "haters" they decided to go overboard with their relationship and talk about their sex life to the point that it is very cringe and off-putting.

It's going to be really delicate because you don't want to go full Edge/Lita where the female of the act is being insulted and degraded by the audience but it's also hard for them to be straight babyfaces because they're both really, really smug and into their relationship.  

I'm not worried about Tay being able to transition back into being a face.  She was an incredible babyface.   I think so far she kinda comes out as a generic WWE-style diva heel, which is a trope I can't stand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Just a reminder Battle of the Belts is a separate show from Dynamite and Rampage so you will have to set your DVR accordingly 

Appreciate it. Such a bummer BOTB seems to be a bit of an afterthought for a second time around, the Clash was a favorite growing up. The only announced match is Nyla/Rosa! I obviously enjoy both ladies, but that one is a foregone conclusion. Would have loved if they did Hangman/Cole II here, or ROH champs vs AEW champs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

reading the Shingo stuff makes me wish I could understand Japanese better because AEW with commentary from NJPW wrestlers sounds hella fun

I might seek these out just to get a feel for the reactions.  I've watched enough puro without English commentary that you can at least feel the emotion and tone of it

Emotion and tone and lack of annoying conversation over the matches is why I prefer Japanese language commentary.  I might need to get NJPWorld again.  Tho, that is one of the more frustrating apps I've ever used.  

Speaking of PURO, we're all sleeping a little on Konosuke Takeshita's AEW arrival.  I mean understandably in that there's no chatter from the top down and he's mostly an unknown or little known perfomer, but I suspect in a short time we'll all be talking about his incredible matches with any number of ppl from this fantastic roster.

• Like 3

This maybe goes into the navel-gazing thread, but it definitely feels like AEW is leaning a bit into bleeding as another way to distinguish themselves from WWE programming. I don't consider myself a blood-sucking freak (like I don't watch death matches/extreme hardcore stuff, I'm very much a chairs/tables/random plunder guy) but I also feel that there are times when a little bit (or in the base of Yuta/Bunny) of color adds a lot to the story.

That said, it should be a relatively rare thing. The Texas Deathmatch between Page and Cole makes some sense storywise (other than the fact that Cole doesn't deserve a rematch) but coming on the heels of the Moxley-Yuta bloodbath it's either going to pale in comparison or have to one-up the violence. I'd be fine if the next blading waits until a huge PPV blowoff.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, JLowe said:

This maybe goes into the navel-gazing thread, but it definitely feels like AEW is leaning a bit into bleeding as another way to distinguish themselves from WWE programming. I don't consider myself a blood-sucking freak (like I don't watch death matches/extreme hardcore stuff, I'm very much a chairs/tables/random plunder guy) but I also feel that there are times when a little bit (or in the base of Yuta/Bunny) of color adds a lot to the story.

That said, it should be a relatively rare thing. The Texas Deathmatch between Page and Cole makes some sense storywise (other than the fact that Cole doesn't deserve a rematch) but coming on the heels of the Moxley-Yuta bloodbath it's either going to pale in comparison or have to one-up the violence. I'd be fine if the next blading waits until a huge PPV blowoff.

Less is more when it comes to blading. Ditto for thumbtacks.

• Like 2