DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022

The Natural

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Punk debuted with an unchanged ring name + Cult of Personality and cut an I Hate WWE promo, Daniel Bryan Danielson debuted with a ton of fanfare, at a huge show, with his public-domain music (remixed), the stuff Cody did at Wrestlemania was effective and obvious, but there's precedent. This is how things are now. I still contend he dicked Turner over more than anybody else.

Yeah, and all that was in Tony Khan's favor. The shoe was not on the other foot for those examples. 

It's exactly why he shouldn't be posting about independent studies about anti-AEW Twitter spam bots.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Considering how they all just happened, I think yes there most certainly is.

If this was an emotional kneejerk reaction to losing Cody Rhodes, wouldn't it have happened sooner? Cody's Wrestlemania match was on Saturday. His disembodied-head-hovering-over-a-box tv return was on Monday. This is days later, and in the world of Twitter and especially the world of Tony Khan tweeting without thinking, that's an eternity.

I know you're a big Cody stan, but if Tony put even half the stock in him that you think he does, he would have given him what he wanted to get him to stay. He obviously didn't think Cody was worth his asking price. Whether he was right or not, none of us can say -- so far, he's appeared at WrestleMania (which was going to do great numbers with or without him) and on the Raw after WrestleMania, which always has a ratings bump. If business picks up for WWE or dips for AEW, then we'll know he was wrong to let him go.

3 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

If this was an emotional kneejerk reaction to losing Cody Rhodes, wouldn't it have happened sooner? Cody's Wrestlemania match was on Saturday. His disembodied-head-hovering-over-a-box tv return was on Monday. This is days later, and in the world of Twitter and especially the world of Tony Khan tweeting without thinking, that's an eternity.

I know you're a big Cody stan, but if Tony put even half the stock in him that you think he does, he would have given him what he wanted to get him to stay. He obviously didn't think Cody was worth his asking price. Whether he was right or not, none of us can say -- so far, he's appeared at WrestleMania (which was going to do great numbers with or without him) and on the Raw after WrestleMania, which always has a ratings bump. If business picks up for WWE or dips for AEW, then we'll know he was wrong to let him go.

No. He strategically put it out there right before SmackDown and Rampage. 

End of the day Vince is a thoroughbred sociopath (albeit v. old in the tooth) while Khan is a trust fund kid. There's levels to this game (and I have actually increasingly liked Khan over the past 6-12  months).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Same with Jeff Hardy

Jeff Hardy was a stupid signing. They needed to can both of the Hardys yesterday, not amplify that mess while the likes of Keith Lee are being pushed onto the road to nowhere right after joining. Its 2022: besides a one-and-done nostalgia pop (which WWE/F always knew how to do well), no one gives a fuck about seeing a couple of late 40 year old dudes called Matt and Jeff fling themselves from ladders in a vain nod to yester-decade.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Do they get the independent studies from the focus group? 

Cody turned the focus group against them. I absolutely can't stand Rhodes, I think he's an emotionally-manipulative talentless hack who takes his "fans" for being low IQ morons, but the more this gathers pace the more amusing it'll all be actually. You just knew Rhodes is going to be stirring this pot too, and the more it grabs attention and pisses the Jacksonville folks off the more Vince will push him. They'll need some McCarthy-ite trials over there in Jacksonville: root & branch removal of all the Rhodes-ters hiding in plain sight (QT, Starks etc).

Edited by A_K
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Yeah, and all that was in Tony Khan's favor. The shoe was not on the other foot for those examples. 

It's exactly why he shouldn't be posting about independent studies about anti-AEW Twitter spam bots.

TK might have turned this into his Thom Brenneman/Nick Castellanos moment.cf5.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, A_K said:

Jeff Hardy was a stupid signing. They needed to can both of the Hardys yesterday, not amplify that mess while the likes of Keith Lee are being pushed onto the road to nowhere right after joining. Its 2022: besides a one-and-done nostalgia pop (which WWE/F always knew how to do well), no one gives a fuck about seeing a couple of late 40 year old dudes called Matt and Jeff fling themselves from ladders in a vain nod to yester-decade.

I don't think they need to cut Matt and Jeff, but I personally don't see the long-term value of Matt and Jeff nostalgia act, but I do think the Keith Lee thing is a valid point. 

Because you bring in Keith Lee, and then you have so many other new debuts and guys trying to get on TV and their characters serviced, and there's a lack of consistency as a result. Guys end up not wrestling on the main shows for weeks or months.

40 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Because you bring in Keith Lee, and then you have so many other new debuts and guys trying to get on TV and their characters serviced, and there's a lack of consistency as a result. Guys end up not wrestling on the main shows for weeks or months.

Valid point, but wrong guy to use as an example when he's been on the main shows consistently since his return.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Occam's Razor.

You were already given the simplest explanation.

For more on skepticism in pop culture, please check out AIPT Science. ?

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

To add to the AEW Matches I most want to see:

Samoa Joe vs. Minoru Suzuki.

Just announced!

FP3n_dcWUAIiYCh?format=png&name=small

I asked for #FTR vs. Young Bucks II and Samoa Joe vs. Minoru Suzuki, days later confirmation. Hell fucking yeah!!! Cheers Coach Tony K!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I mean they are from Texas as well... (I'm glad Chip Gaines gets brought up so I can finally ask - is it just me or does he resemble AJ Styles?)

Reveal hidden contents

Chip Gaines, Joanna Gaines' Relationship Timeline

Chip may be less controversial

• Sad 1

I support the Sam Houston / Rick Fuller push of Captain Shawn Dean.  I'd like to see Kaun and Madi Wrenkowski string a few wins together in a mini-push or at least get some 50 / 50 booking.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Just announced!

FP3n_dcWUAIiYCh?format=png&name=small

I asked for #FTR vs. Young Bucks II and Samoa Joe vs. Minoru Suzuki, days later confirmation. Hell fucking yeah!!! Cheers Coach Tony K!

Can you ask for a manly men / hoss division tournament next?

- Brodie King

- Miro

- Keith Lee

- Powerhouse Hobbs

- Wardlow

- Luchasaurus

- The Butcher

- Jake Hager

• Like 2

Super late into the my persons talk, but, in case you haven't figured it out:

Jungle Boy!!!!

PAC

Buddy Matthews

Luchasaurus

Adam Page

Kris Statlander

Leyla Hirsch

Not my persons:

Vince MacMahon

That bad Khan

I have no "not my wrestling persons", especially after drink number 3. And during weekdays, there is always household chores during not so hot stuff.

• Like 3

I really want to see a trios match between The Blackpool Combat Club + Yuta Wheeler vs. Best Friends + Orange Cassidy. And a singles match between Dragon and OC, but I've wanted that for a long time. And you also know that all of those guys think of that as some kind of weirdo dream match.

I bet  OC is really high on the favorites list of both Regal and Danielson. 

• Like 6