Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION


Recommended Posts

Just now, clintthecrippler said:

I thought the Disco timeline was that he got asked to put over Jackie, refused, got fired, worked indies for a few months, attempted to squeeze his way into the WWF (no idea how close this was to actually happening but the big RUMORZ from folks like SCOOPS was that he was going to be the protégé brought into WWF by Honky Tonk Man that ended up being Billy Gunn in the "RockaBILLY" gimmick), and then ended up crawling back to WCW who gave him the ultimatum of fulfilling the original request of jobbing to Jackie when he came back. 

Yeah, that's exactly what happened.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Yuta joining but he needs his own "beatdown" attack instead of stealing Moxleys "elbows to the side of the head" as I don't think he's landing the elbows as snug as Mox is

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It kind of blows my mind people could find this story lame and cringe but not the stuff WWE was doing in 1995 & 1996. Really? lol

Oh, to clarify I'd wager the vast majority I'm referring to were either not watching WWF in 95/96 or were those who watched since kids and were just in the habit. I assume those who came in to wrestling at the time (which at that point may have been most of the viewers) would have hated much of the earlier few years... well except Sid, everyone always loves Sid. I think it is fair to say that while Canada/US was better than the dregs of the prior couple years in WWF it also came off kinda lame and forced next to WCW and the NWO.

 

TBF I think the reason the angle was run at all is because they were forced to run Canada a lot at that time due to it being a relative stronghold in their battle with WCW but like... I think in retrospect it could be argued that trying to run Austin as a heel every third week or so after his Mania battle with Bret was less than ideal? The fact that he ignited once they gave up on that despite having a broken-ish neck at that time makes me lean in that direction personally.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

I like Yuta joining but he needs his own "beatdown" attack instead of stealing Moxleys "elbows to the side of the head" as I don't think he's landing the elbows as snug as Mox is

Mox just stole 'em from Danielson, so it's all good. Bryan's a good guy, though. "Here Mox, you take one of my best moves, I'll just dust off this old stomp since any repeated impact move I do will get over instantly."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

OIP.4hdKRV3bkCSAvJwpK-or0gHaEK?pid=ImgDe

Extreme Rules 2012 turns ten today. One of the best wrestling shows ever. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar was one of the most unique matches ever blending pro-wrestling with MMA and John Cena taking a real beating. My 2012 MOTY and Card of the Year. Gave it *****. Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan was also great, Two out of Three Falls. One of my favourite match stipulations. CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho's Chicago Street Fight was better than their WrestleMania XXVIII match earlier that month too.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The front office at Turner info makes it worth it. You will know the in-ring and backstage stuff, but the book has upper-mgmt memos and TNT marketing directives and other interesting stuff that was new to me, at least.

Yeah actually I shouldn't have said it was largely info I knew in my previous post. Tons of it will look familiar if you've been online for a while, but the perspectives and quotes from Turner and production people make it much, much more interesting than that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

OIP.4hdKRV3bkCSAvJwpK-or0gHaEK?pid=ImgDe

Extreme Rules 2012 turns ten today. One of the best wrestling shows ever. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar was one of the most unique matches ever blending pro-wrestling with MMA and John Cena taking a real beating. My 2012 MOTY and Card of the Year. Gave it *****. Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan was also great, Two out of Three Falls. One of my favourite match stipulations. CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho's Chicago Street Fight was better than their WrestleMania XXVIII match earlier that month too.

Brock's face here, and in general really, fills me with a strong urge to quote the 'Imagine if this guy came up to you' line from I Think You Should Leave. He looks like Cena's just fished him out of the sea after angering an elder god.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From today’s Uni Watch 

Quote

During Wednesday night’s Late Late Show with James Corden, Corden (a West Ham fan) made an audience member in a Manchester United jersey cover it up with a show T-shirt. Knowing what we know about late night TV, I’m 95% certain that this was cooked up in the writer’s room and that audience member is a plant 

Sounds familiar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2022 at 10:20 AM, Technico Support said:

What a show to come back for.  And you stayed a fan after that show?  Damn.

Not only did I stick around but my mind was blown by everything WCW. I know what I'm supposed to say is the luchadores are what drew me in, but let's be real. WCW was like waking up from a coma after a decade. Hulk Hogan was now a villain. Sting thought he was the crow. Bret Hart was in the middle of it. Razor/Diesel were now going by their real names and in the cool kids club. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2022 at 3:44 PM, Zimbra said:

I think it's the "Pro Science Pro Choice Pro Wrestling" sign guy from a couple weeks ago.

I knew nothing about the guy but having those signs in Texas was something we applauded.  Too bad he's a shithead.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:40 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

I'm behind on their podcast, but this isn't entirely surprising in light of how much they discussed expanding their repertoire and exploring other interests from the beginning.

I am, of course, gutted they're hanging it up, but pleased they're going out at close to the top of their game instead of barely hanging on out of necessity.
 

[And this is wrestling after all, virtually no one stays retired Forever-forever.  Fingers can remain crossed for one last one-off someday]

I had no idea about their BrandArmy page (didn't even know what that site was until now) but I still feel they're destined to be in a hit sitcom.  They're just so damn funny and it wouldn't surprise me if they have something lined up soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, username said:

I think in retrospect it could be argued that trying to run Austin as a heel every third week or so after his Mania battle with Bret was less than ideal? The fact that he ignited once they gave up on that despite having a broken-ish neck at that time makes me lean in that direction personally.

while it goes against conventional logic, having Austin be a heel every so often may have actually helped his anti-hero vibe. Especially since he didn't really change his character too much once it started to hit. Once he had a full on villain & authority figure to go against, obviously all bets are off. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, twiztor said:

while it goes against conventional logic, having Austin be a heel every so often may have actually helped his anti-hero vibe. Especially since he didn't really change his character too much once it started to hit. Once he had a full on villain & authority figure to go against, obviously all bets are off. 

There are certain moments that feel kind of etched in my head as key ones for an internet fan. In 98-03 or so a lot of the times, it was connected to Benoit. One was that weekend where Benoit won the TV title on a house show and lost it back and they didn't acknowledge it on TV. Another was when someone (I think Michael Hayes) was pushing hard that post face-turn (02/03 probably) Benoit would end a Smackdown by attacking another face just to prove that he was an entity unto himself and still dangerous and unpredictable, like Austin, and it was vetoed as Vince freaked out and refilmed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That sucks for Dakota Kai, though I suspect she'd hit a wall in terms of how WWE saw her. Athena, Tegan and Dakota would all help AEW very much. ROH is gonna need a women's division, too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...