DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 hours ago, Ace said:

It's the same with Schiavone. The commentary is so much improved when the commentators actually enjoy themselves.

I think it does help that he gets to work with JR. He gets to be around people like Tully, Arn, Sting, Jake and other NWA/WCW Alum it also helps that he was away for so long because we all no much like JR he can't hide it if he isn't feeling what he's watching. I think JR probably would be better if he was away from wrestling all together for a significant amount of time maybe not decades like Schiavone was but long enough to have a break from it an appreciate it on a different level. The business has passed him by in some ways but he still loves it. I feel like it passed me by sometimes even at 34 years old lol but it's going to get further and further away from the wrestling I grew up with but I still love it. Like Flair , say what you will be even at 73 he never comes across as the older guy burying the current generation he always puts over the current guys and seems like he's as much of a fan today as he was starting out.

• Like 1

Some of those proposed WCW logos are dope. How in the world did they land on the one they picked? Like what in the actual fuck. Simple and recognizable are the most important aspects of a logo. When it looks like tribal tattoo or bird shit you fucked up. Not that a better logo would have changed any of the future. It would just be one less talking point for us about the nose dive.

• Like 4

Eric didn't want to use the 1999 logo and was going to use the one WCW Big Bang poster had, if he and Fusient Media Ventures bought out WCW.

I read that the old WCW block logo came in 3 versions, so they changed it slowly over the years in very slight ways. Version 1 and 2 are the same but the second W is flipped in some way for the first version. Version 3 made the C slightly bigger to take up space then the 1999 logo replaced it. 

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Reportedly Bret Hart has signed with WWE, legends contract.  If true, him being WWE and FTR being AEW on that indy show is sorta AEW WWE teamup.

That sucks for Dax, I was hoping we'd see him in AEW again because for the most part they feature legends pretty well in non wrestling roles. I'm sure if he did start being an on screen talent, he wouldn't be on anywhere close to every week but it would've been fun to see him aligned with FTR.

I hope he got some good money out of it because I'm sure Tony Kahn would have offered good money to have him on. Especially since Chicago is a big Bret town and he's been putting over Punk heavy lately too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

That sucks for Dax, I was hoping we'd see him in AEW again because for the most part they feature legends pretty well in non wrestling roles. I'm sure if he did start being an on screen talent, he wouldn't be on anywhere close to every week but it would've been fun to see him aligned with FTR.

I hope he got some good money out of it because I'm sure Tony Kahn would have offered good money to have him on. Especially since Chicago is a big Bret town and he's been putting over Punk heavy lately too.

Agreed, thought for sure with the Owen connection that we were gonna end up getting Bret joining him in the video game at least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Hitman/Roman is legit the cross-generational dream match I didn't know I wanted to see until now.

It would have been Bret vs Diesel 10x better and their matches were dope.

• Like 7

Hitman/Diesel RR 1995 is one of those great matches that doesn't get enough love because of the nothing finish. Absolute classic of a match.

Like a top fifteen or twenty WWE match ever at worst.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Hitman/Roman is legit the cross-generational dream match I didn't know I wanted to see until now.

could have done the hidden chestplate spot again, only with a better payoff than what they did with Bret/Goldberg after that spot

On 4/18/2022 at 1:07 PM, Hagan said:

Yeah - but the implication of that statement is unless you have the nebulous "I can see him or her headlining a Wrestlemania" thing then you don't have "it." It doesn't seem like he's talking about fundamentals but more like charisma and aptitude.  Six months a short window to tell whether or not someone is going to be a star. Shit - how many guys in the NJPW dojo train for years? 

I mean, I know it's Hunter just speaking the corporate line so I shouldn't be overly parsing it but we know how this ends up. They pass on a ton of guys and girls who end up developing down the line and they end up trying to bring them back one day. 

Look how many years it took for Mark Henry to get over as a legit main eventer and monster. And that's after a lot of stops and starts and failed midcard comedy acts. 

6 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Hitman/Diesel RR 1995 is one of those great matches that doesn't get enough love because of the nothing finish. Absolute classic of a match.

Like a top fifteen or twenty WWE match ever at worst.

I didn't see the KotR 94 match was good too

Does anyone have an opposite of a "and then the bell rang" guy? As in someone who you didn't think had that good of a look, no interesting gimmick or personality, and were more or less indifferent to but always enjoyed their matches?

1 hour ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I think the Blackpool Combat Club should come out together to The Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy.

Oh GOD, that would be so awesome. 

There's a ton of Thin Lizzy songs that would work, such as...

Bad Reputation
Killer Without a Cause
Chinatown
Suicide
Jailbreak
Emerald
Cold Sweat
Toughest Street In Town

Honestly, I can't figure out why they aren't Mox's favorite band already. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Does anyone have an opposite of a "and then the bell rang" guy? As in someone who you didn't think had that good of a look, no interesting gimmick or personality, and were more or less indifferent to but always enjoyed their matches?

Greg Gagne. Looked like he should be cashiering at a Home Depot, awful promo but very solid worker

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Trent fits that for me

• Like 7

Gagne's a good shout.

For me, it might be Tito Santana. He's got a bland nice-guy personality and is a mediocre promo, but he's always fun as hell in the ring. 

@Ziggy I'd have RR '95 first, SurSer '95 second, and KotR '94 third, but they do range from all-time great to very good, yes. 

Bret got a lot out of big guys who were still learning to work. He had at least one legitimately good match with Glen "Isaac Yankem" Jacobs in that period, for example. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Gagne's a good shout.

For me, it might be Tito Santana. He's got a bland nice-guy personality and is a mediocre promo, but he's always fun as hell in the ring. 

@Ziggy I'd have RR '95 first, SurSer '95 second, and KotR '94 third, but they do range from all-time great to very good, yes. 

Bret got a lot out of big guys who were still learning to work. He had at least one legitimately good match with Glen "Isaac Yankem" Jacobs in that period, for example. 

Bret had a pretty awesome 94, but I love that in 1995 after the Diesel match at Rumble 95, he was out there wrestling Hakushi, Jean Pierre Lafitte, Jerry Lawler, and Isaac Yankem 2x on PPV. Granted all four are solid to great workers in their own right, it goes to show that Bret Hart was THE WWF workhorse. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Gagne's a good shout.

I'll agree with Tito too. He never struck me as being "exciting" yet at the same time I'm hard pressed to think of any times he outright stunk (that wasn't the fault of his opponent anyway)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Buddy Roberts as a single.

• Like 2