DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I never thought about it, but of course Hunter and DDP would get along. Page was probably one of the only wrestlers in the 90s besides Hunter watching both companies’ shows as a form of homework. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Charlie Hass was such a good tag team guy. WGTT should have never been broken up and should have had a 20 year run like the Rock n Rolls or the Midnights. Enjoyed his runs with Bob Holly (another solid tag guy) and Rico.

And Campy, Fun, Face Rico was an oddly positive portrayal of gay culture in wrestling. And JR would always try to put him over. 

Hass talked about how even during his run with Rico even then guys didn't want to work with Rico or make him look good. He put him over how legit tough he was but the Adrian Street gimmick was basically a death sentence for him. I remember I had a before they were stars DVD from '03 that featured all the recently called up OVW guys and outside of Dinsmore and the Bashams and Flash Flanagan, Rico seemed like the better overall worker of all the first crop of OVW call ups on that tape and you had Cornette put him over on the alternate commentary he did with Meltzer. But your right JR put him over as a tough guy inspite of the gimmick. I was happy to see him get to actually work on the main roster but that type gimmick in WWE unless your getting build up to eventually get paired again the top Babyface or the Undertaker like Goldust was then its a death sentence.

• Like 2

I forgot about the WCW HOF. 

Lou Thesz

Verne Gagne

Mr. Wrestling II

Eddie Graham

Harley Race

Ernie Ladd

The Crusher

Dick the Bruiser

Ole Anderson

Masked Assassin

Wahoo McDaniel

Dusty Rhodes

Antonio Inoki

Angelo Poffo

Terry Funk

Big John Studd

Gordon Solie.

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Random: guessing the overlap between American pro wrestlers who got most of their work in Japan and fans of the song "Big In Japan" by Alphaville isn't that huge

Unless Bruiser Brody was really into new wave synth pop

I never knew that song was an original. I've only ever known the cover by Guano Apes. The opening part of this version sounds like something Brody or another wild man wrestler would actually enter the ring to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

I forgot about the WCW HOF. 

Lou Thesz

Verne Gagne

Mr. Wrestling II

Eddie Graham

Harley Race

Ernie Ladd

The Crusher

Dick the Bruiser

Ole Anderson

Masked Assassin

Wahoo McDaniel

Dusty Rhodes

Antonio Inoki

Angelo Poffo

Terry Funk

Big John Studd

Gordon Solie.

It would have been interesting to see what WWE/F centric talent with little to no history in that territory would have been put in their Hall of Fame had they still been around. I look at Studd as a WWF guy primarily buy I'm aware he had history in Mid Atlantic and other NWA affiliated Territories.

If WWE never bought WCW and got its library they probably wouldn't even invest and value their history like they do and even think to of having a Hall of Fame as often as they do

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Random: guessing the overlap between American pro wrestlers who got most of their work in Japan and fans of the song "Big In Japan" by Alphaville isn't that huge

I love that song but it's up there with Electric Avenue and Born in the USA in the category of "songs that a good deal of people don't realize are depressing."

The theme was based on two friends who were involved in the sordid drug scene of Berlin's Zoo station. The song tells of such lovers who fantasize about being drug-free. The refrain "big in Japan" symbolises this idea of being successful in another world. Said Gold, "that line has a certain meaning. It means that if you're a complete loser, you're telling other people, 'I'm not a loser because in Japan I'm really big.' It's the lie of the loser and it fitted perfectly into the story of these junkies, which the song is about, in a very tragic way."  Gold later explained "we originally weren’t sure whether we should put it on the album, because it’s a bit autobiographical in that it reflects my time in West Berlin in the late 70s, with the drug scene around the train station and the zoo, and all the underground things. It has nothing to do with Japan."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Vince only bought out select WCW assets and their library. AOL Time Warner kept World Championship Wrestling, Inc and reverted it to the originally planned Universal Wrestling Corporation name. Which ended in 2017, so "WCW" the old company really died in 2017.

WCW, Inc. (Started in 2001) is a subsidiary of WWE and is the legal holder of some WCW trademarks and all of the other assets associated with that defunct promotion. The other defunct promotions and their related assets (ECW, AWA, JCP,  SMW, etc.) are the property of WWE Libraries Inc.

The rest of the WCW trademarks are under World Wresting Entertainment Inc.

Some WCW trademarks haven't been renewed, for example; "where the big boys play", the late 90's logo, even the WWF made Alliance era logo etc.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

What do you think the ratio is of workers who prefer Tom Waits' Big in Japan to Alphaville's Big in Japan?

• Like 2

That late-'90s WCW logo is so bad that somebody should have burned the paperwork that gave WWE the trademark for it as a symbolic gesture when it came up for renewal.

• Like 1

Remember when people who put over Mauro Ranallo because he would get generally excited for so much at NXT.  Well good to see Michael Cole having the same feeling at times.

You can tell he is SO HAPPY that he doesn't have to deal with the RAW bullshit.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

That late-'90s WCW logo is so bad that somebody should have burned the paperwork that gave WWE the trademark for it as a symbolic gesture when it came up for renewal.

Didn't DEAN make the comment that it was really bold of WCW to base their corporate logo on one of Juventud Guerrera's tattoos?

James

3 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Didn't DEAN make the comment that it was really bold of WCW to base their corporate logo on one of Juventud Guerrera's tattoos?

James

I've always assumed that it was based off Goldberg's shitty "tribal" armband tattoo

There were multiple new logos made but the one everyone hated got picked and was picked randomly and too late to change when word came around.

T89Ns4Y.jpeg

They ran ad with the 1999 logo saying it supposed to be bird shit oddly enough.

BVkWyx7M1QNIN5Zs61nU1srRosbZgyWaEhy_jn-Z

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I love that song but it's up there with Electric Avenue and Born in the USA in the category of "songs that a good deal of people don't realize are depressing."

See also Hillary Clinton using "American Girl" as a campaign theme 

Re: the WCW logo someone once called it "the exploding vagina logo" and now I can't unsee it

• Haha 2

The logos @Blue Dragonhas posted above comes from that Nitro book by Guy Evans. It's worth reading for the head office stuff that I don't think was necessarily well-circulated otherwise. 

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of most of those logos. I get that the logo needed an update, but none of those were it.

It's hard to follow that scratch logo rebrand the WWF had, to be fair. That scratch logo is one of the '90s-est things around, and that is meant as the highest of compliments. 

• Like 1

Rico's problem is he was probably a little too old by the time his release rolled around .. what, roughly 45, at a time the fed were trying to reposition youth for the future. Within the next 6 months, the WC/IC/USC would cycle across Shelton Benjamin, Orlando Jordan, Carlito, Cena, Batista .. guys like Cade & Murdoch + La Resistance getting tag title runs .. all of whom would have been in their early-to-mid 20s.

Pretty obvious emphasis on youth, and that's likely why Rico went. He'd be pretty much done with the industry shortly after.

• Like 1