DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

54 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Now here's an interesting one...where would Vince McMahon fit?

He'd be Satan, of course, chewing on the bodies of the worst sinners for eternity. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Aren't those comments just like >90% Cornette stans? 

With a healthy helping of bots, of course. 

Even if this was the case, it doesn't make it wrong. The following is all written under the assumption that - as claimed by the man himself - Tony Kahn is really doing all the booking. 

Everyone can enjoy what they enjoy, but the booking, outside of a few exceptions has been questionable at the very best (I really liked the most of Punk vs MJF and Punk vs Eddie e. g.).

People could make a point how Tony is giving his core audience the matches they want. This would make his matchmaking good and him a good matchmaker. 

The way he gets there often adds nothing to it. There is also stuff like a (not really) Texas Death Match as the first match of a World Title match, the heel getting his head flushed down the toilet in week 2 of a featured blood feud, War Games in the middle of a feud, beating the No. 1 contender in a Lights Out match on TV then claiming he is still undefeated...

The booking part, for all the goodwill I can totally understand, has definitely potential to grow and improve the product as a whole. Kahn was a boatload of ventures and I can totally see him being spread way too thin to properly book a wrestling promotion. 

Now for the question of who actually IS out there, that's very legitimate. The only person coming to my mind that - at one point - had a good rep and from what I know is still alive & not done with wrestling, and could be available is Hunter Johnston (Delirious), was he still with ROH when Kahn picked them up? 

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Even if this was the case, it doesn't make it wrong. The following is all written under the assumption that - as claimed by the man himself - Tony Kahn is really doing all the booking. 

Everyone can enjoy what they enjoy, but the booking, outside of a few exceptions has been questionable at the very best (I really liked the most of Punk vs MJF and Punk vs Eddie e. g.).

People could make a point how Tony is giving his core audience the matches they want. This would make his matchmaking good and him a good matchmaker. 

Now for the question of who actually IS out there, that's very legitimate. The only person coming to my mind that - at one point - had a good rep and from what I know is still alive & not done with wrestling, and could be available is Hunter Johnston (Delirious), was he still with ROH when Kahn picked them up? 

I'm sure he could bring in Gabe, all things considered he's done a good job. I thought most of the top guys are pretty hands on with the booking that they are involved in. I think it also helps that AEW books for long term and because they only have 4 to 5 PPVs a year, that helps too. I was listening to his interview on the Rasslin podcast about a week ago and it seems he does book with ratings and demographics in mind but I think he's more concerned with long term booking. With WWE you have Vince McMahon who's more ADHD than a 5 year old kid and so indecisive that he changes direction as the show goes on. On top of countless writers with no wrestling background then a ton of old school wrestling minds on the creative team.

I'm sure Tony Kahn has alot on his plate but atleast when it comes to his wrestling ventures he has more structure than Vince does and he seems to have a better sense of direction than Vince does. 

WWE still has a deep roster of some amazing talent and is still capable of putting together great shows. It's still the name brand in Wrestling so it's going to continue to be an uphill battle for AEW to establish itself outside the hardcore wrestling audience they have.

WWE applied to trademark the following:

Roxanne Perez (Rok-C)

Alba Fyre

Cruz Del Torio (i letter added)

Katana Chance

I guess Katana Chance will be IO's new name. Sarray is still on NXT 2.0 feuding with Hulk Hogan's clone daughter.

• Sad 1

On 4/15/2022 at 5:40 PM, ReiseReise said:

I'm pretty positive it is his real name, he used a different ring name in Germany to honor his father, iirc. 

There are very few people naming their kid Ludwig over here these days, Kaiser is quite a common family name though. 

Ludwig sounds like a 80+-year-old while most Günthers that I know are between 50 and 65.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:10 AM, ReiseReise said:

There was a German Wrestler calling himself Triple C ages ago. Believe me, you wouldn't want to be associated with him as long as we talk wrestling (I'm sure he's a swell guy outside of wrestling)... 

That's a name I have not thought of for a LONG time. I mainly remember him being one of the biggest spammers on the early 2000 German wrestling message boards (and as you indicated that he had a reputation of being one of the worst "wrestlers" of the German scene back then).

1 minute ago, Robert s said:

Ludwig sounds like a 80+-year-old while most Günthers that I know are between 50 and 65.

First Ludwig in WWE since Borga! Not too many Ludwigs over here in '93, either. Much less now, except that parents these days seem to give their children old sounding names for whatever reason. Spite, I guess?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

He'd be Satan, of course, chewing on the bodies of the worst sinners for eternity. 

If Vince had his way, he'd be gnawing on Ted Turner, Ole Anderson and whoever was the last person that sneezed in his presence.

• Like 2

I think Russo would be in Circle 8 with the evil counselors. Cornette would be in the 5th Circle. I'm putting Hogan in the 2nd Circle for looking at Elizabeth with lust in his eyes!!!!! DIG IT!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I think Russo would be in Circle 8 with the evil counselors. Cornette would be in the 5th Circle. I'm putting Hogan in the 2nd Circle for looking at Elizabeth with lust in his eyes!!!!! DIG IT!

That hand WAS on her ass at Summerslam.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Kacy Catanzaro new name is Katana Chance. Kay Lee Ray will be using the name Alba Fyre.

Very nice trolling. 

Vince tried saying Kacy Catanzaro and whatever came out of his mouth resembled Katana Chance and people around him were like "Ok, then. That is what she will be called from now on!" Seems like I took my leave at the right moment.

Edited by Shartnado
Were, not very
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

How long until Vince changes his own name?

I am very much here for Vince coming out on Raw as Vance McGarnigle and pretending like it was always his name. Also for the ensuing chaos as people sell WWE stock thinking it's  being run by someone else. "I trust Vince McMahon to run this thing into the ground, but not this Vance character! Sell sell sell!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Robert s said:

That's a name I have not thought of for a LONG time. I mainly remember him being one of the biggest spammers on the early 2000 German wrestling message boards (and as you indicated that he had a reputation of being one of the worst "wrestlers" of the German scene back then).

I borrowed & watched a "best of" a friend of mine had when he was trading. I unfortunately lost the tape, and I would love claim this to be my contribution to improve European wrestling, it was not on purpose.

Matches were from 2000 to 2003ish I'd say and boy howdy was it bad. Back then the traditional catch scene (CWA) in the German speaking area had collapsed and a lot of guys who were into ECW flooded the scene. Lots of hitting each other with plunder, no basic skills or knowledge for actual wrestling. There was one match at a public swimming pool. Yeah, nothing good about it.