DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

30 minutes ago, J.H. said:

You get a wrestler named Davey Jones he ither needs 3 compadres or change his name to Bowie and form a stable called the Diamond Dogs

James

Someone online recently made a list of all the bowie songs that could be superhero names. Similar idea. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Putting the guy in a mummy outfit in 1995 probably dooms him no matter what. So you’d kinda need to make the Yeti look like Bigfoot, even if yetis and Bigfoots are different things

Yeti should've been a Bigfoot. Then they could've had him up there against the monster trucks at Havoc.

18 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Also since it’s a WCW videotape, there’s parts of Havoc 91 which weren’t on the tape that I’ve never seen.

Wonder if the WWE would be able to do a stadium event in Scotland to finish the series of huge UK events.

I'm pretty sure - it's been a long time - that Steve Austin/Dustin Rhodes and Brian Pillman/Ricky Morton were the only things on the show worth watching. 

15 hours ago, Infinit said:

It really is crazy that nowing how Hogan was that he never got his heat back on the Yeti for the vicious humping he got at Havoc 95 lol. Even as a Nitro main event in November before they abandoned the Yeti gimmick. (He was a ninja Yeti and then the Super Black Ninja before he disappeared and came back as Flock member Reese)

Yeti was in the WW3 battle royal. Can't find who eliminated him though.

• Like 1

A future WrestleMania match between The Rock and Roman Reigns was teased during a scene on this week's episode of "Young Rock."

The sixth episode of the show's second season aired on Tuesday night. During the program, Rock was just beginning his wrestling training with his father, Rocky Johnson, at the time. He's later shown with his family watching Yokozuna (Rodney Anoaʻi) wrestle at the Royal Rumble on television. A young Joe Anoaʻi (Roman Reigns) is watching the event as well. Joe jumps on Rock's shoulders and asks for someone to give him a Samoan Drop. When no one responds, he asks them all to "acknowledge" him.  

Joe pleads with his cousin to wrestle him in the living room but Rock tells him, "The world's not ready. A match that big can only happen at WrestleMania." 

It was reported in the February 7, 2022 edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that WWE is hopeful that The Rock vs. Roman Reigns will take place at WrestleMania 39. 

"The idea is to lead to the biggest WrestleMania ever in 2023 at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, CA, with Reigns vs. The Rock and Becky Lynch vs. Rousey," Dave Meltzer wrote regarding the build-up to WrestleMania 39. "Of course a million things may happen between then and now and with Dwayne Johnson’s schedule, it may not be possible."

3 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I wasn't watching WCW on the regular during that time, did Luger turn heel right before Hogan got DP'ed?

Sort of. He was a face when he fought Meng earlier that night, then a heel vs. Savage and then both he and Savage did a run-in during the main event and Luger fought with Savage. So to answer your question with a quote from the man himself...I DON'T KNOW!!!

lex-luger-superbrawl-saturday.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Marcel said:

I'm pretty sure - it's been a long time - that Steve Austin/Dustin Rhodes and Brian Pillman/Ricky Morton were the only things on the show worth watching. 

Terry Taylor-Bobby Eaton and the title match between Luger and Ron Simmons were also pretty good, with Eaton-Taylor probably the best match on the card (and of course, edited off of the VHs version of the show). That was actually a decent recovery show on the back of the Great American Bash '91 disaster.

• Like 2

As the story goes originally the Yeti was envisioned to be Giant Gonzalez in a white fur bodysuit similar to his WWE outfit. They had an outfit created in his size for the role. Hogan was high on him and did something on that European tour with him before he left WWE in 1993, and got him onto a few of the action TV shows Hogan was doing. I believe it was a health issue that had Giant Gonzalez back out. Since the suit couldn't fit Ron Ries they just went a different way and did the mummy thing instead of getting a new suit made. No idea why. Or why they didn't at least change the character name to not be a yeti anymore.

But the name makes sense if you picture Giant Gonzalez in an all white version of his WWE look.

• Like 2

A good reminder that the battle for the truth is never lost. My buddy has recently fallen back into wrestling after a decade away and even then he never really experienced much of non-WWE North American wrestling since the end of WCW. He's been watching the TNA Pluto Channel and has dropped some "man, TNA is really good. Don't know why it got so much hate." 

See, this is the stuff we gotta fight back against. I have to explain that a lot of the in-ring stuff was, indeed, great but it was surrounded by some of the most trash booking in wrestling history that ran everyone off. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, J.H. said:

You get a wrestler named Davey Jones he ither needs 3 compadres or change his name to Bowie and form a stable called the Diamond Dogs

James

Wouldn't it be ironic if he violated some stupid WWE backstage protocol and the veterans wouldn't let Davey Jones change in the locker room?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

My friends down in Mexico texted me this morning asking to settle a debate..

Who is the greatest Mexican wrestler of all time? Santo, Blue Demon, or someone else? 

I nominated Super Porky.

Who are you to doubt El Dandy?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, J.H. said:

James

Tag team are goofing around backstage throwing a football around and accidentally hit one of the women in the face with it. This guy makes his debut and takes her to the Slammys.

He later turns heel concerned at the prospect of being a gatekeeper babyface, cutting a promo refusing to be their stepping stone, before losing a Loser Takes The Last Train To Clarksville match and is never seen again.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Former WWE producer Pat Buck joined AEW, he is one of their producers. He started last week. I guess he helps with the bigger dudes matches, shooty dudes matches and the MMA people matches, or maybe not.

Edited by Blue Dragon

1 minute ago, Blue Dragon said:

Former WWE producer Pat Buck joined AEW, he is one of their producers. He started last week. I guess he helps with the bigger dudes matches or shooty dudes matches, or maybe not.

Oh hey, I’ve got an idea who he can work with….

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Former WWE producer Pat Buck joined AEW, he is one of their producers. He started last week. I guess he helps with the bigger dudes matches, shooty dudes matches and the MMA people matches, or maybe not.

“Hey guys, great to be here. Listen, I saw that you signed some giant former basketball player who’s had about 4 months of training. Have I got an idea for you...”

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Looks like Claudio's new name may be Claudio Csro.

I don't know why he wouldn't just go back to being referred to as Claudio Castagnoli. When that's your legal name, very few names are going to be better.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know why he wouldn't just go back to being referred to as Claudio Castagnoli. When that's your legal name, very few names are going to be better.

I think he wants to exploit the WWE recognition he had.