DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

They should have Elias and Ezekiel on the roster at the same time on different shows and act like they're different people

Bzzzztt. That sounds like a story with writing that could generate interest in a low midcarder, PAL. Not happening. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Seeing multiple paragraphs of banter about AEW's metrics,growth, finances, etc makes me fully understand Eric Bischoff's disregard for Conrad everytime he brings up the gate figure or some other Meltzer gobbledygook from a 30 year old WCW PPV on 83 Weeks

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think everything in pop culture has just dropped due to all the choices available, be it tv, movies, sports, wrestling, comics.

To me, discussing minutae like ratings and demographics is an instant turn off these days. Just part of the growing overanalysis of everything.

Can I just sit and watch a baseball game without thinking about OPS+ or fielding range stats or what have you? ?

THIS. 

I'm so happy F4W posts timestamps.  Dave gets so into numbers and I'm just mashing the hell out of that "+ 2 minutes" button.

• Like 1

I think analysis is fun and good and there is no such thing as "overanalysis." I wish people would think more about things, why they happen, what they might mean for the future, etc., in general. 

I get that some people don't want that in their pop culture, which is fine, but I appreciate people doing more thinking about the things that they consume. 

I also think the disagreements are worthwhile when people take away different things from the facts. I feel like I learn from being a third party to a good discussion about what the facts w/r/t whatever topic is being discussed are telling us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Bzzzztt. That sounds like a story with writing that could generate interest in a low midcarder, PAL. Not happening. 

Not sure the overlap between WWE fans and State Government fans is enough to make a good double-dipping storyline successful

22 hours ago, Hagan said:

Just to further clarify - a study came out in 2020 that 45 percent of accounts tweeting about Covid were bots.

Take that number and extrapolate it for EVERYTHING else on Twitter, from Will Smith, to the war in Ukraine, to Adam Cole’s height, to Live Morgan’s booking.

I forget the specifics, but a couple years ago there was a proven incident where a protest and counter protest were entirely set up on social media by Russia. Like whatever the issue, pro or con, one side was set up to go to a place for a protest, and then a counter protest was created in response. Russia got two groups of Americans to go to a specific place and start yelling at each other. That’s some crazy shit man. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I didn't think he was, but during the Mountie's Superstars debut, Vince acknowledges he's Jacques Rougeau and acknowledges the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers. 

In that time frame they would usually acknowledge someone’s “known” name during their first tv match, after that it was the gimmick name and maybe Gorilla or Lord Al would mention the “known” name during a Prime Time bout. I think the only exception was Barry Darsow when he went from Smash to Repo Man, even Sheiky Baby’s past was acknowledged when he showed up as Colonel Mustafa. 

32 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I forget the specifics, but a couple years ago there was a proven incident where a protest and counter protest were entirely set up on social media by Russia. Like whatever the issue, pro or con, one side was set up to go to a place for a protest, and then a counter protest was created in response. Russia got two groups of Americans to go to a specific place and start yelling at each other. That’s some crazy shit man. 

Yeah, it's funny to joke about Tony Khan tweeting about bots, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's telling the truth.  If you spend any time on Twitter at all, you'll realize that any conversation can be overrun by bots and accounts that are less than a week old with no followers.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey yo whoa ho. Is this a joke or some kinda conspiracy theory I haven't heard of? 

If memory serves me correct... during Dusty's ECW run Steve Corino accused Dusty of cutting Magnum's breaks in a promo leading up to their bullrope match

James

• Like 7

3 hours ago, matt925 said:

Not to derail the thread, but they did it a lot.  There was a famous one in Texas where they set up head to head anti-muslim and pro-muslim counter protests, and it also happened with BLM type rallies.  And when they weren't outright organizing stuff on social media they would co-opt and amplify existing divisions, riling up and encouraging both sides to get more radical.  We ignore foreign influence on our domestic politics at our own peril

FWIW Meltzer says what Tony is talking about absolutely has legs, and his questionable twittering is "strategic" ?‍♂️

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
italics
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably it's also an offshoot of the "theory" that the Royal Family killed Diana and Dodi. 

When did PWI run that article???

8-28-2012+6-39-31+PM.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey yo whoa ho. Is this a joke or some kinda conspiracy theory I haven't heard of? 

Yeah as @J.H. mentioned it’s from a promo Corino cut on Dusty during their ECW feud. It still cracks me up.

Even if there might be a base for the "bot" theory, Khan comes across as if he's lumping at least the majority of critics into this ominous bot crowd. That's an impression I get. 

He just seems really thin skinned and this feels like another "Big Swole" level instance, were he'd be better off not using Twitter to get his points across. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Dave defending TK? Shocking 

Meltzer is a weird, weird dude. Parallel to the lengthy conversation in previous pages about decline of wrestling popularity / "niche" status .. all I can say is that when that guy is the 'journalistic' figurehead, yeah, you can see why the industry may be led down a dark and weird path.

Anyway, I digress. They should probably be careful dabbling in this "bot" discussion, lest they want to shine a light on whatever journalistic 'incentives' have existed for Meltzer and in his ilk in their coverage on AEW over the past 36 months. This street goes both ways.

Yeah my main thought about all this bot talk (beyond the obvious "Tony has really thin skin" observation that I've thought for ages) is that it is almost certainly true and almost certainly dumb to point out as it raises the obvious follow-up question "...what about the pro-AEW tweets?". Given that AEW is a company that exists in 2022 you may not want to shine a light on what they do to advance their online presence, which I assume much like virtually every other company of a certain size is at least something.

4 hours ago, username said:

Yeah my main thought about all this bot talk (beyond the obvious "Tony has really thin skin" observation that I've thought for ages) is that it is almost certainly true and almost certainly dumb to point out as it raises the obvious follow-up question "...what about the pro-AEW tweets?". Given that AEW is a company that exists in 2022 you may not want to shine a light on what they do to advance their online presence, which I assume much like virtually every other company of a certain size is at least something.

From everything I've read Twitter's own algorithms promote negativity and controversy.  But there's a difference between boosting yourself on the platform and targeting a competitor with gimmick accounts and bots.  I'm not active on twitter, is this normal between say KFC and Popeyes?

I'd like to think Tony isn't stupid enough to suggest something like that without some evidence behind it, but then again if I had evidence I'd be looking at possible litigation not clicking send on my twitter app.  Dave and Bryan are being cryptic but to me reading between the lines it sounds like Tony's building up evidence of a coordinated effort by "someone" to fuck with their upcoming TV negotiations. 

I don't know man, the whole thing is pretty stupid.  I will laugh my ass off if Nick Khan is behind the pro-wrestling version of the Internet Research Agency.  This is what a 21st century wrestling war looks like, can't wait to hear what Cornette has to say ?

7 hours ago, username said:

Yeah my main thought about all this bot talk (beyond the obvious "Tony has really thin skin" observation that I've thought for ages) is that it is almost certainly true and almost certainly dumb to point out as it raises the obvious follow-up question "...what about the pro-AEW tweets?". 

This is actually a major takeaway for me, I had the feeling for a while that Dave Meltzer was replaced by a robot somewhere in the 2010s. I mean, there is a weird algorithm / mathematic formula, involving multipliers for numbers of people, Flips and ladders. Aswell as Tokio Dome +2*...

Edited by ReiseReise
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

This is actually a major takeaway for me, I had the feeling for a while that Dave Meltzer was replaced by a robot somewhere in the 2010s. I mean, there is a weird algorithm / mathematic formula, involving multipliers for numbers of people, Flips and ladders. Aswell as Tokio Dome +2*...

Yeah. I was probably a bit awry in my previous post saying he's a "'journalistic' figurehead" .. he clearly has some AEW sources but otherwise speaking he's basically an evangelical snakeoil salesman w/o credentials. He's certainly got no WWE access, and when you consider Lesnar did a lengthy ESPN piece ahead of WM, Rhodes has been on the interview-trail w/ various TV sports outlets & Spotify pieces .. yeah, he's basically a glorified amateur with a newsletter, and its pretty easy to see where his agendas lie.

Hopefully Khan figures this out. Unfortunately Rhodes played him like a fiddle. Leveraged him to go from underground indy-darling to having mainstream exposure w/ Shaq, TBS Talent Show panelist etc., then like a chameleon changed his colours.

2 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Wouldn't the grammar have improved if Dave was replaced by a bot?

• Haha 3

I can hardly find any information on the Shinjiro Ohtani situation and I'm very very concerned.

Match vs. Sugiura @ the ZERO-ONE 21st Anniversary Show ends after Ohtani can't get up from a German. When he came to he couldn't move his limbs.

• Sad 7