DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Seeing multiple paragraphs of banter about AEW's metrics,growth, finances, etc makes me fully understand Eric Bischoff's disregard for Conrad everytime he brings up the gate figure or some other Meltzer gobbledygook from a 30 year old WCW PPV on 83 Weeks

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

TK tweeting some stupid shit that gets them thrown off TV remains the #1 enterprise risk AEW faces.

Take. His. Twitter. Away.

I mean, the #1 risk to AEW is that Tony starts off bad with the new Warnermedia bosses and that could happen off of Twitter too.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Seeing multiple paragraphs of banter about AEW's metrics,growth, finances, etc makes me fully understand Eric Bischoff's disregard for Conrad everytime he brings up the gate figure or some other Meltzer gobbledygook from a 30 year old WCW PPV on 83 Weeks

Disregard? But Eric's always insisting he loves to Get In The Weeds.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
58 minutes ago, Matt D said:

As a general rule in life, I will feel more kinship towards someone I can have an intelligent conversation with about Ken the Box than someone that I cannot have such a conversation with. That's not to say I like all of my kin, certainly.

I still stand by my long-held opinion that if the Drill Baba match was held in a gym instead of a back alley, that would be at least remembered in somewhat similar esteem as Ken the Box.

Alas.

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Disregard? But Eric's always insisting he loves to Get In The Weeds.

Bisch responds selectively because he's trying to Control His Narrative. We should cut him some slack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just imagined the idea of Bischoff tweeting Raw spoilers in 1995 as his way of hyping Nitro

AEW might need a Mean Gene type who can be the messenger for stuff that Tony can't tweet. There's not really a good candidate for that because JR isn't gonna do that.

ATTENTION HOTLINE FANS

An independent study confirms that social media is manipulated by bots. Does this explain the anti-AEW forces online? Call 1-900-909-9900 to find out which rival federation could be responsible for this deceitful conduct. They will not let me tell you more about this on television. Kids, ask for your parents permission

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Some WWE notes from Meltz:

- Boogs' injury at Mania was legit and caused the finish almost 10 minutes early.   Dave estimates he's out at least 6 months, probably a lot longer.

- The Austin/Owens match was made into a match when Steve decided he was doing well enough in training to be able to put on a good match. The 'brawl' was just an out in case he didn't. 

- Brock & Ronda are booked for Backlash.  However, the Brock/Roman story is done. 

- Cody did a pilot for what sounds like a travel channel-type winery/distillery show.  (This is one of his exclusive deal things.)

- Alexa Bliss's disappearance from TV has been a mix of her wedding to singer Ryan Cabrera and no Mania angle.  

- Imperium (GUNTHER and Barthel) are moving up, but being broken up.  They'll probably be on separate brands.  No word on Aichner. 

- LA Knight and Raquel Gonzalez still appear to be getting called up.  

- Simone Johnson (daughter of The Rock) is going to have her 3rd (possibly 4th?) knee surgery.  Note, she is only 20 years old. 

Anything on if Grayson Waller's arm injury was a work or a shoot?

@SirSmellingtonofCascadiaTrue that ratings have been on a downward spiral for two decades and wrestling is certainly less popular than it was but how much of that is attributed to cable cutting and streaming options etc. Everything is down across the board except maybe the NFL. 

I do think WWE and maybe AEW too have work to do if they want to grow their fan bases for the future but its just hard to say wrestling is "niche" when we just saw over 70,000 fans in Dallas for two nights and both WWE and AEW are still hovering in the top 3 in their time slots on cable 

• Like 1

I think everything in pop culture has just dropped due to all the choices available, be it tv, movies, sports, wrestling, comics.

To me, discussing minutae like ratings and demographics is an instant turn off these days. Just part of the growing overanalysis of everything.

Can I just sit and watch a baseball game without thinking about OPS+ or fielding range stats or what have you? ?

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

AEW might need a Mean Gene type who can be the messenger for stuff that Tony can't tweet. There's not really a good candidate for that because JR isn't gonna do that.

I'm free on Wednesday nights.

• Like 4

I still don't get how WWE can take someone from a weekly cable TV show and debut them on a different show with a completely new name and ignore what they did on the other show. It's not like they're calling people up from OVW and FCW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I still don't get how WWE can take someone from a weekly cable TV show and debut them on a different show with a completely new name and ignore what they did on the other show. It's not like they're calling people up from OVW and FCW.

They've been doing since at least 1983, right? 

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

They've been doing since at least 1983, right? 

Let me rephrase that lol.

Taking talents like Pete Dunne and Walter and Marcel Barthel who have been featured on WWE TV and randomly renaming then when they debut on another show is dumb.

• Like 2

i watched an old episode of WWF Superstars today (7/18/92). It had WWF Champion Macho Man Randy Savage (my all time #1) in a pretaped interview. Plus squashes by Repo Man AND the Mountie? on man, 9 year old me would by PSYCHED!

anyway, all it really made me want to see is 1992 Razor Ramon vs. 2022 Cody Rhodes. that's weird, right? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i watched an old episode of WWF Superstars today (7/18/92). It had WWF Champion Macho Man Randy Savage (my all time #1) in a pretaped interview. Plus squashes by Repo Man AND the Mountie? on man, 9 year old me would by PSYCHED!

anyway, all it really made me want to see is 1992 Razor Ramon vs. 2022 Cody Rhodes. that's weird, right? 

I would be much more interested in thinking about how that would play out instead of ratings and bot talk. And I bet it would be absolutely incredible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Let me rephrase that lol.

Taking talents like Pete Dunne and Walter and Marcel Barthel who have been featured on WWE TV and randomly renaming then when they debut on another show is dumb.

Funny how just a couple posts ater, someone mentioned The Mountie and Repo Man, 2 wwf guys given new gimmicks. 

Did they ever say The Mountie was Jacques Rougeau or was he always just The Mountie? 

Edited by odessasteps

the hilarious thing about Jacques is that the Quebecers gimmick made no sense (especially the theme song!) without the context of acknowledging he had formerly been The Mountie.

Which they never officially did, on US television anyway.

Monsoon and Jacques himself snuck in periodic acknowledgments [Monsoon acknowledging his status as a former Intercontinental Champion] and Jacques occasionally teasing interviewer/broadcaster Ray Rougeau in a way that wink-nudged they were brothers, but they probably were doing that on their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Funny how just a couple later, someone mentioned The Mountie and Repo Man, 2 wwf guys given new gimmicks. 

Did they ever The Mountie was Jacques Rougeau or he always just The Mountie? 

I didn't think he was, but during the Mountie's Superstars debut, Vince acknowledges he's Jacques Rougeau and acknowledges the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I didn't think he was, but during the Mountie's Superstars debut, Vince acknowledges he's Jacques Rougeau and acknowledges the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers. 

I fuckin love that Canada has no urban development in these vignettes. It's all trees and mountains and maybe a street sign for no reason because there aren't really any roads. 

The actual RCMP getting mad at the portrayal of the Mountie is silly because I don't think it was Jacques Rougeau who participated in the '60s Scoop. You can't get more heelish than that. A shock stick is small beer in comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2