DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Why we counting Morrison in that?

He went away and reinvented himself. Main evented and was champion in multiple promotions during his time away.

I think alot of us thought when he came back he would at least get a push and not be slotted back as Miz's partner.

34 minutes ago, Infinit said:

It happened to Drew, Lashley, Morrison and now Cody.

So who's the next WWE cast-off that makes a triumphant comeback after gaining non-wwe street cred?

Matt Cardona?

Cardona's run has been one of my favorite things about wrestling in the past few years.  I'm not sure I'd want him to stop and go back to WWE.  Cody I could understand, but Cardona is one that seems to just be better off all around.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Infinit said:

So who's the next WWE cast-off that makes a triumphant comeback after gaining non-wwe street cred?

Matt Cardona?

There was a small window where Zack Ryder was as over as any babyface in the company. He didn't need any character rehab until he was booked as a jobber for 5 years straight.

PCO would probably fit the mold better, although he's obviously way too old for WWE to take a look at.

Tay Conti is pretty realistic, although she was a major head-scratcher when WWE got rid of her in the first place. Just about everyone saw her potential.

8 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Cardona's run has been one of my favorite things about wrestling in the past few years.  I'm not sure I'd want him to stop and go back to WWE.  Cody I could understand, but Cardona is one that seems to just be better off all around.

I agree with you...but I could also see him almost being like Cody in that all the things he's done since his release were steps to come back and be a made man in WWE. And I wouldn't fault him if he did that. 

I feel like Zack Ryder was sort of the wrestling equivalent of MEME culture. He went viral for a hot minute but I don't know if he would have had lasting relevance no matter how he was booked.

Was Morrison's return all that triumphant or was it just like..he's back?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Matt Cardona?

Jericho eventually goes back and ends up in a much bigger position than the upper level gatekeeper role he'd had for 20 years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

I feel like Zack Ryder was sort of the wrestling equivalent of MEME culture. He went viral for a hot minute but I don't know if he would have had lasting relevance no matter how he was booked.

Was Morrison's return all that triumphant or was it just like..he's back?

I think a meme wrestler would be more like Fandango or Mizdow. Ryder got a huge pop for his US title win and even got to stand with Punk and Bryan as the workrate faves. He had built up a steady following from his WWECW days. He should have at least had a Ziggler-like career arc bouncing between being an aimeless but always present midcarder, and the occasional significant upper midcard angle.

That's not to say that Dolph wouldn't be way better off artistically if he had been forced to the indies to re-invent himself in the same way Cardona was, but I disagree with the premise that Cardona needed to leave to have a viable WWE career.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Infinit said:

Matt Cardona?

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

Why we counting Morrison in that?

Yeah, the first two guys on that list are both the type of guys Vince would push in the first place.  Morrison was not. 

That makes Cody's future really interesting.  Drew was actually billed as Vince's "Chosen One" before he was fired.  He put it all together and came back, so it was easy for him to get back into a top spot because he's Vince's type.  Was Lashley a similar situation?  I honestly can't remember.  But Cody was a career midcarder in Vince's eyes.  In the list of wrestlers mentioned, he's more Morrison than Drew.  Sure, he's hot now, but will Vince, at some point, say "meh, I just don't see it" and change it up on him?  I doubt it because he's spent a lot and apparently given a fair amount of concessions, but it's Vince, so who knows?  Braun Strowman was his guy last year and now he's working whatever EC3's bullshit is, so who knows? 

Edited by Technico Support

Cody has one chance, really, and that's by leaning into the "gaga" aspect of pro wrestling more than anyone else in the WWE today. That's not what Reigns does. It's not what Brock does. It's not what Drew does. It's not old man Edge. Not really Owens. The guys you get that the most with are Rollins, Miz, and Sami, maybe (and Bayley but that's beside the point), but they're all heels and can't really pull it off as faces. I get the sense Vince doesn't want a 1985 babyface and he doesn't want a 1999 babyface. He wants someone who can stand in front of one of those 1989 backdrops.

Spoiler

WWF Royal Rumble 1989 - Hulk Hogan Interview - video Dailymotion

WWF Royal Rumble 1989 - Ted Dibiase Interview - video Dailymotion

No one could be a better guest on the Brother Love Show than Cody.

• Like 3

Can anyone help me work out the cheapest / easiest way to watch GCW's back-catalogue? Fite.TV is not an intuitive site. I see you can pay monthly for it, but don't know what would be included. The GCW ppvs are expensive on their own. Is there any other way? In the UK if that makes a difference. Thank you.

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Cody has one chance, really, and that's by leaning into the "gaga" aspect of pro wrestling more than anyone else in the WWE today. That's not what Reigns does. It's not what Brock does. It's not what Drew does. It's not old man Edge. Not really Owens. The guys you get that the most with are Rollins, Miz, and Sami, maybe (and Bayley but that's beside the point), but they're all heels and can't really pull it off as faces. I get the sense Vince doesn't want a 1985 babyface and he doesn't want a 1999 babyface. He wants someone who can stand in front of one of those 1989 backdrops.

Reveal hidden contents

WWF Royal Rumble 1989 - Hulk Hogan Interview - video Dailymotion

WWF Royal Rumble 1989 - Ted Dibiase Interview - video Dailymotion

No one could be a better guest on the Brother Love Show than Cody.

Great point.  Problem is, Cody talks like he wants to be a 1985 babyface.  He wants to be Crockett Dusty, not Vince Dusty.  Not that Cody actually has any conviction; I'm just going by what he's said most recently.  He could give a voice cracking, lip quivering, tears at the corners of his eyes promo about how he wants to reclaim polka dots and showmanship and be hanging off the back of a garbage truck in a month.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Can anyone help me work out the cheapest / easiest way to watch GCW's back-catalogue? Fite.TV is not an intuitive site. I see you can pay monthly for it, but don't know what would be included. The GCW ppvs are expensive on their own. Is there any other way? In the UK if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Unfortunately there isn't any means to watch their backlog. You have to buy them show by show. IWTV has some GCW shows up to late 2020. GCW doesn't have a dedicated streaming service and doesn't have any plans to do so, at least publicly. You'll need to fly the skull and bones to find their back log.

• Thanks 1

That's a key reason I dropped IWTV.  I signed up for it thinking all these cool indies would be posting all their latest shows, but what I got was some indies posting most shows (Beyond Wrestling) while others were hit or miss (like Black Label putting some shows on IWTV but others on Fite only) and GCW dropping off of IWTV entirely. 

Now I'm back with Highspots because money wise, it's far cheaper to wait six months for PWG than to wait however long DVDs take to come out and pay around $27 each, and then anything else I watch on the service (mostly shoots) is just gravy.

Highspots joke tweeted (or maybe serious?) that they were for sale, too, after TK bought ROH.  Indy wrestling seriously needs a money mark to consolidate its shit into a profitable (for all parties) streaming service.  Throw in a good UI while you're at it, because IWTV and Highspots' interfaces are trash and Highspots doesn't even have an Apple TV app.  Fuuuuuuck.

IWTV is really good if you like deathmatches or just indies in general. If you are looking to follow certain promotions it probably won't be worth it. They just added a lot of high quality AJW shows.

I know IWTV/GCW are or were involved in a lawsuit at one point that seemed to boil down to money and ownership of master tapes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, the first two guys on that list are both the type of guys Vince would push in the first place.  Morrison was not. 

That makes Cody's future really interesting.  Drew was actually billed as Vince's "Chosen One" before he was fired.  He put it all together and came back, so it was easy for him to get back into a top spot because he's Vince's type.  Was Lashley a similar situation?

Not really. Drew was pushed hard and flopped, Lashley was pushed hard and just kind of leveled off as an upper midcarder. He did get to work that Mania angle with Vince and Trump (23 I think), which is way more significant than anything Drew did in his first run. Both guys are in about the same spot now, but it's a much bigger step up for Drew than Bobby. Bobby was well on his way to being a career midcard/occasional secondary champ guy like Sheamus. I don't think he's really in a better spot other than he feels fresher for having been off WWE tv for several years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Has a reigning champion been released before?

In WWE or ever - since the answer is both to YES

Madusa is the big example - since that is why she showed up on Nitro with the title belt

EDIT - I think the most recent time in WWE was Enzo who was Cruiserweight champ when they let him go

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1