DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I’ve been enjoying all the Cody press from yesterday, but dude is, um, shall we say “inconsistent” in describing his motivations for leaving AEW. Like, I saw one interview where, in one breath, he denies that he left because of money, saying that TK would’ve given him whatever he wanted, but then in the next he talks about how he and TK had grown apart.

Like, damn dude, how needy are you that you feel you’ve “grown apart” from a guy allegedly willing to pay you whatever you want?

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’ve been enjoying all the Cody press from yesterday, but dude is, um, shall we say “inconsistent” in describing his motivations for leaving AEW. Like, I saw one interview where, in one breath, he denies that he left because of money, saying that TK would’ve given him whatever he wanted, but then in the next he talks about how he and TK had grown apart.

Like, damn dude, how needy are you that you feel you’ve “grown apart” from a guy allegedly willing to pay you whatever you want?

I don't think those ideas are too hard to square. Fair to say Vince McMahon could be paying Bryan Danielson whatever he wants right now, but they grew apart because Bryan had other priorities. These ideas aren't terribly contradictory. And based at least on Cody talking about not wanting to be a gatekeeper for whatever shiny new toy Tony has, it's clear he had concerns about how he was being taken care of that extend beyond just money. 

Now of course people can choose how much of that they want to believe. Cody's presentation of events, and even perhaps much of his experience of them, was always likely going to protect himself in a way. As to the truth, Cody and Tony seem content speaking only vaguely on the matter. So unless Kenny or the Bucks or someone wants to stir some shit, it's unlikely we get a more complete accounting of what took place for some time. 

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Stardust contract stipulation debunked already....

Rhodes has made it clear in past interviews that he doesn’t like the run as Stardust. After returning to WWE this weekend, Rhodes spoke with Ariel Helwani and revealed that he asked WWE not to mention his past as Stardust. He said the following:

So Cody...what if we have you feud with Stardust where it's like you're trying to vanquish the Stardust persona in your mind?

47 minutes ago, EVA said:

Cody definitely likes to talk out of both sides of his mouth, as most pro wrestlers do. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Cody talking about not wanting to be a gatekeeper for whatever shiny new toy Tony has

Right, and he also said something about not wanting to be a 15-time TNT champion.  But the dude booked himself into a "I can never challenge for the world title if I lose" loss against Khan's objections, so what else are you going to do with him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are we so jaded that we cannot enjoy a carny doing carny shit?

I find this Cody stuff delightful and look forward to getting updates on his booking and how he reacts to it in this thread over the next few years. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Right, and he also said something about not wanting to be a 15-time TNT champion.  But the dude booked himself into a "I can never challenge for the world title if I lose" loss against Khan's objections, so what else are you going to do with him?

I mean, it seemed ready-fucking-made for him to turn heel and break the stip. It's the easiest out on the planet Earth. We've all fantasy booked it a million times here. It would be infuriating if it wasn't hilarious. But on the real, it seems like a positive for all parties involved, no matter how baffling.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Brand Split and he wins the AEW (Rampage brand) Universal Title.

• Haha 2

Ok, hear me out ...

What if ... Cody going to WWE is his worked shoot way of eventually getting back to AEW under a new contract, written without the "can't challenge for the world title" stip?

• Like 1

Edge's faction stuff

Spoiler

WWE may add Rhea to whatever Edge's unamed faction is, nothing was reported about Liv Morgan. I noticed Edge and his goon did the Undertaker kneel poses. Some fanboy on twitter or so thinks the new faction is like one of those JoJo Bizarre Adventures characters pairings, but I don't read that stuff so I wouldn't know.

20 minutes ago, nate said:

Ok, hear me out ...

What if ... Cody going to WWE is his worked shoot way of eventually getting back to AEW under a new contract, written without the "can't challenge for the world title" stip?

I was thinking something like this. I asked how long his WWE contract is because, being only 36, I can absolutely see him going straight back as soon as it's up.

Go to Vince, get paid squillions, raise your profile even higher, then walk back to AEW and declare "I've got a shiny NEW contract!" ala Futurama Nixon.

Cody returning in 3 years to immediately take the AEW title away from Darby or Sammy would be the greatest 'I'll never turn heel' heel move of all time.

• Like 4

Cody is kind of two-faced saying he won't talk about what happened with Tony Khan but he continues to drop all sorts of hints. 

To me it's simple. Cody wants to be the top guy. He wants to be the world champion. He went back to WWE because there was a window where that might now actually happen. WWE has exhausted or milked dry a lot of their top stars, and there's no other legit contenders to challenge Roman Reigns. 

I mean even look at the women's division. Are you really going to tell me Becky Lynch is still at the level of stardom she was three years ago? She didn't even co-headline either night.

Cody booked the dumb title stipulation for his match with Jericho. He did all the stupid I WON'T TURN promos, and he all but set up a heel turn he would never bite on. He's totally US f'n Agent.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

Edge's faction stuff

Hide contents

WWE may add Rhea to whatever Edge's unamed faction is, nothing was reported about Liv Morgan. I noticed Edge and his goon did the Undertaker kneel poses. Some fanboy on twitter or so thinks the new faction is like one of those JoJo Bizarre Adventures characters pairings, but I don't read that stuff so I wouldn't know.

I was calling Edge Huntertaker based upon his entrance yesterday.

Next year's Collective is booked for the Ukrainian Cultural Center. 

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I can easily see him being the Waltman of this generation that goes back and forth between the companies multiple times. 

I think Jarrett fits that description much better because he had October to October deals including quitting WWF in 1995 and then coming back only to get hurt a few months after coming back and leaving again once his deal ran out in October 1996. 

Listening to his podcast and all the mediocre to nonsensical creative they had for him (the NWA episode is fucking hilarious), he was basically the pro wrestling equivalent of a utility player. The best stretch of his career up until maybe TNA was late 1994 to summer 1995 simply because he had been in WWF for a year to a year and a half, and he got to go against some top guys because he was Kliq adjacent. 

Waltman, if he didn't get hurt constantly and have the outside the ring issues, probably would have never had that WCW run to begin with.

• Like 5