DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Since we recently had a referendum on Triple H's career and match quality, here's another good TV match he had: Against Hardcore Holly on Sunday Night Heat. It ended in a non-finish, but still a surprisingly good TV match. Like pre-quad injury, Triple H was legit probably one of my favorite main event guys on the WWE roster. Like I definitely preferred Triple H over Rock and Stone Cold at that point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

All the talk about HHH retirement got me thinking best HHH non gimmick match singles or tag?

Someone's going to be the smart ass and say it, so it might as well be me. HHH vs. Ultimate Warrior @ WM12.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

All the talk about HHH retirement got me thinking best HHH non gimmick match singles or tag?

officially, my answer is always vs Warrior at WM12 ?

but it might be that one against Taka Michinoku that one time on RAW. His best iteration of channeling the "touring NWA champ almost eats an upset against Cinderella" energy he tried to capture so often.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

officially, my answer is always vs Warrior at WM12 ?

but it might be that one against Taka Michinoku that one time on RAW. His best iteration of channeling the "touring NWA champ almost eats an upset against Cinderella" energy he tried to capture so often.

My serious answer was also going to be the TAKA match. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan. WrestleMania XXX.

Steve Austin/Triple H vs. Chris Jericho/Chris Benoit. RAW, May 2001.

• Like 5

Offhand the best non gimmick HHH match to me is either the 03 Raw main event with Shawn or the Wrestlemania match with Bryan. That said its been way too long since I saw any of his stuff from back in 99-02. There might be some stuff there on those levels.

• Like 2

Was the first Wrestlemania Batista Match a normal 1-on-1? I think yes and I really liked it back then, although it wasn't universally liked iirc. It was good as a standalone and great as a three part act that cemented Batista as a top guy. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Was the first Wrestlemania Batista Match a normal 1-on-1? I think yes and I really liked it back then, although it wasn't universally liked iirc. It was good as a standalone and great as a three part act that cemented Batista as a top guy. 

Yes it was. It was an inoffensive match. It did it's job. Put Batista over and made him look great. Like the heat was there and the fans popped for Batista winning. It worked the way it needed to. Maybe a little overly long.

How many weeks, or days, before Cody becomes an afterthought by the non or casual WWE viewers that have been locked into this (pretty legitimately exciting) story?  The WWE roster is full of super talented ppl, like Steen and Zayn and a few of the ladies for example, that I love, but I never watch WWETV to see any of them.  I don't see Cody attracting my attention anymore than wanting to see his Mania debut (which I liked).  I'm sure I'll check out a clip of him on Raw, but I have doubts that I'll be following up much more than that.  Curious how others feel on this.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t it be funny if the real reason Steve Austin waited 19 years before coming back for one last match, was because he wanted to make sure there was no way Triple H could get himself inserted into the match, or otherwise sabotage it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I also remember really liking the Triple H vs Jericho phantom title change match from a 2000 Raw. I haven't seen it in forever. But I would think that fits in the really good non gimmick matches as well. I'd have to see it again to judge, maybe the really fun angle is what make it stick out.

• Like 1

The Bryan match at 30 is his best. 

I think the Rikishi match from Smackdown in 2000 is his best TV match. That match was HOT and he actually worked it according to his role really well as the cocky ace who wasn't taking this dancing idiot seriously and who then found himself deep in trouble because of it. 

The REDACTED/Jericho tag with Austin is definitely his best tag match. 

I think the stuff of his post '00 that I liked at the time has aged really poorly (Michaels comeback match at Summerslam, WM triple threat) and I have always been way down on the other stuff that seems to get acclaim from people during that era (any of the Flair matches, any of the Batista matches).

This is going to sound crazy, but his Hog Pen match against Henry Godwinn is actually pretty damned good and worth a second viewing. Other than that, I don't think he was very good as young athletic bumper Hunter either. Had boring Mero matches before Mero got injured and was a shell of himself. Didn't do anything of note against good ring generals like Owen or Goldust. 

Hunter in a gimmicky brawl is genuinely good, but otherwise he ranges from boring to actively shitty, usually. 

• Like 1

I know we've grown more sour on Shawn as time's gone by, but his and Hunter's match on Raw in '03 is about as nuclear hot and well-executed as I can remember a non-gimmick HHH singles. There's some good Rock and Benoit stuff in 2000 also, but that's down to Benoit was great and Rock was impossibly over. 

• Like 2

I think Shawn is probably underrated pre-comeback and properly-rated post-comeback. Post-comeback had way too many modern WWE epics with lots of laying around and ridiculous facial expressions that even a defense of "playing to the cheap seats" wouldn't work for. 

But the guy had two of the three best ladder matches in WWF history and they were two of the first three that the company had ever had, he was always an awesome tag worker that you could easily do a multi-disc tag comp for, and I'm not bothered by the critiques pre-comeback Michaels gets all the time (weak offense, bumping and generally working his way into the face role of a match when he's supposed to be a heel, etc.).

He also has what is the best casket match by a million miles, too. Shawn's still excellent IMO. I actually believe that the "Mark Henry > Shawn Michaels" thread was a valid thread and that Michaels is all-time great and underrated, but that's probably because Mark Henry from about 2006 through 2015 was an amazing superheavyweight, like one of the best American superheavies ever. It's not because I think Shawn sucks. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Yes it was. It was an inoffensive match. It did it's job. Put Batista over and made him look great. Like the heat was there and the fans popped for Batista winning. It worked the way it needed to. Maybe a little overly long.

I thought that HHH took too much in that match. Plus, he got a really big entrance with Motorhead playing him to the ring (I'll forgive Lemmy for being drunk and forgetting the words to the song as I'm an unabashed Motorhead mark) while Batista just had a normal entrance. He wasn't even using the souped up Saliva version of his theme song at that point. Then Batista had to sell for the majority of the match and HHH's offense isn't exactly dynamic or suited for big stadium matches. Whole thing felt flat to me.

• Like 1