DVDVR Message Board

Obi Wan Kenobi (SPOILERS) - Disney+ Limited Series

Dolfan in NYC

If you made another seasons, just not sure what else you would actually do.

I think you are already pushing it in this show by having Kenobi meet Leia and having a relationship beforehand. 

They already did Kenobi and Darth Maul's final confrontation in Rebels, which is fine and all, but they made Maul's character arc all about finding and having one last showdown with Kenobi, which they did in about two minutes. At the time, I thought that was risky because there was already talk about live-action McGregor as Kenobi returning. But since that story has been told, you can't do it in a live-action series since this is all supposed to connect.

It was even rumored that Maul was a villain in this show before rewrites. I have no idea if that's true, but it wouldn't have made sense for Maul vs. Kenobi to happen here based on what happens in Rebels.

There was a sense of finality to this season at the end, so how are you going to morally challenge Kenobi now?

Edited by TheVileOne

I think that the only thing that would be make any sense at all would be Obi Wan exploring the force and learning from Qui-Gon and having it all be surreal metaphysical claptrap. You could do a lot with that from an artistic/visual and character perspective, but I don't think it'd necessarily be what people want or at all marketable.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Raziel said:

There's also the whole instant teleporting lightspeed thing that both Reva and Obi-Wan seemed to use (plus Reva patching herself up and there being another ship capable of lightspeed lying around that base), but Star Wars seemed to stop caring about actual distances traveled years ago.

Right, that was my other thing...how the hell did she get to Tattooine -- with a sucking gut wound, apparently -- while the others were still doing a low speed chase over the planet they just left?

AND Obi Wan landed his ship right next to Owen and Beru and neither reacted.

Edited by Technico Support

Second season shouldn't happen. The only (very) slight reason would be to explore the Qui Gon stuff a little more .. but even another 5 minutes of that in this season would have ticked it off. There's absolutely no interesting meat left on that bone to explore. 

• Like 1

Ewan wants to do it. Hayden wants to do it. Figure out a way to make it make sense and do as many seasons as McGregor wants to do. You could do a thing where Qui Gon is guiding Obi Wan to different systems to find Jedi artifacts and force sensitive people and shit. Searching for Yoda & Ashoka and Mace Windu’s lightsaber and whatnot. 

As for the series itself, it felt uneven, as these things do. They stuck the shit out of the landing, though. I’ll watch that last episode about a thousand times.

I can’t remember; was Joel Edgerton famous at all when he was cast as Uncle Owen?

• Like 1

Of course Hayden wants to do it: he's yet to notch a filmography in the '20s, with his two flicks prior to that in '17-'19 being direct-to-video and a theatre gross of $15k. OWK going off-world makes even less sense now: actually it makes no sense, and in-narrative-world only exposes to more risk. There's zero sense in DVs role being enlarged any further, either. Last couple of episodes of this were fun but overall the series got a tepid response: they'd really be flogging a dead horse if they try to extend this miniseries any further.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A_K said:

Of course Hayden wants to do it: he's yet to notch a filmography in the '20s, with his two flicks prior to that in '17-'19 being direct-to-video and a theatre gross of $15k. OWK going off-world makes even less sense now: actually it makes no sense, and in-narrative-world only exposes to more risk. There's zero sense in DVs role being enlarged any further, either. Last couple of episodes of this were fun but overall the series got a tepid response: they'd really be flogging a dead horse if they try to extend this miniseries any further.

Disney+ reported it was one of, if not the most watched premieres they’ve had. They’ve poured too much into Star Wars IP not to do more with a capable star playing a beloved character. Say what you want about Kathleen Kennedy, but she’s a good business woman. I’d bet they do another season…

On 6/22/2022 at 11:13 PM, Matt D said:

z2mh9gh333631.jpg

Vader after burying him.

Glad I’m not the one who thought of that.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, Raziel said:

There's also the whole instant teleporting lightspeed thing that both Reva and Obi-Wan seemed to use (plus Reva patching herself up and there being another ship capable of lightspeed lying around that base), but Star Wars seemed to stop caring about actual distances traveled years ago.

The amount of time it would take to travel around the universe is the biggest suspension of disbelief that everyone has pretty much agreed to accept, but this series had a couple of moments that stretched that a bit.

I had a convo with @TheVileOne on Twitter after the 3rd or 4th episode about why I thought this show was bad, but the last two episodes redeemed it in my eyes.  I get his issue with Leia seemingly not remembering Obi-Wan, but 1) it happened overa relatively short period of time when she was pretty young, so her memory of the specifics are probably not great; and 2) she was personally going to him to ask for help, which seems like that would be a more effective move if they already had a prior relationship that she knew about. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 8:02 AM, Matt D said:

I think that the only thing that would be make any sense at all would be Obi Wan exploring the force and learning from Qui-Gon and having it all be surreal metaphysical claptrap. You could do a lot with that from an artistic/visual and character perspective, but I don't think it'd necessarily be what people want or at all marketable.

You can't really build a six-episode season around that.

• 3 weeks later...

ok this show was fucking awesome. was on board from the beginning, but those last 2 eps were just flat out amazing. loved everything about ewan mcgregor's obi-wan and his character progression. also li'l leia was also freaking great.

i don't know if a second season is warranted, but i would definitely check it out.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

No wonder the direction in Obi-Wan is so awesome.   I totally forgot that Deborah Chow is responsible for one of the best episodes of Mr. Robot.  We won't hold her work in Iron Fist or the CW shows she's done against her.  We all take jobs just to keep the bills paid.

Edited by J.T.

Have only watched this now and liked it, for the most part. I really liked Reva (seem to be in the minority?) and am not surprised that the actor has had to face so much anti-black, misogynist vitriol. Basically, fandoms are bad—anyone who lists their fandoms on social media should get automatically blocked.

My other takeaway is that I have green screen fatigue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...