DVDVR Message Board

Obi Wan Kenobi (SPOILERS) - Disney+ Limited Series

Dolfan in NYC

So, Obi-Wan is going to totally get bit in the ass trying to pull this The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend bullshit with Reva.  She may have become a Sith so that she could get close enough to avenge her friends, but she is 100% Team Red Saber right now and she gives a grand total of zero fucks.

It is going to take some Luke Skywalker dumb ass faith to get Reva back in brown robes and it will probably get my man, El Hijo del Ice Cube, killed in the process.

RIP Tala Durith.  You were smoking hot in the Imperial Officer hat, Indira.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

That Vader/Reva fight was killer, and I thought it showed the full scope of Vader's power more than anything else in the canon. It reminded me of the fight at the end of Fallen Order, because you are conditioned to think that these characters have some higher level of ability, only to have Vader dispatch them with ease.

The Obi-Wan & Anakin scene was excellent too, and it was great to see some actual teaching moments between the two.

• Like 3

Was disappointed to see Tala bite though it didn't quite hit as hard as it felt like it was supposed to.

I dug the scenes of Obi-wan and Anakin's training and how it related tot he present events. 

Reva's revelations were unsurprising and kind of feel like something that should have already been revealed. I do like how the slightly misplaced resentment explains her hatred for Kenobi and the Jedi as well. Still it would have been nice to see some actually level of planning going into her actions beyond hope for a lucky moment to strike with Vader. 

The actual fight was nice. It was good seeing both the rage powered and calm badass in play in one story with Vader. He tends to go one way or the other.

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

Vader being badass is totally badass.  Watching him fight Reva and seeing how he'd gained so much evil wisdom from his duel with Obi-Wan in the flashback saber fight was fucking scary. 

I also appreciated the practical double-bladed lightsaber that did not cause you to cut yourself in half while using it.

Unsuprisingly, the lack of continuity does not bother me in the matter of Vader's Force abilities being on roids this episode..  Artoo's deus ex machina rocket thrusters and the retcon to expunge Traviss's Mandalorian lore has conditioned us all to ignore the odd hiccup in story lore.  It's all about the Rule of Cool.

So in the current comics this is shit Vader occasionally does. It also reflects the type of the shit he did in Rogue One. After Clone Wars showed Anakin's actual potential levels of power in that episode on Mortis they have tried to keep that up to some degree in other media.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I'm glad they closed some of the "plot holes" like Reva knowing about Anakin or apparently the Grand Inquisitor being dead.  BUT why the fuck would Vader leave her alive?   He's killed people for fucking up his breakfast order.  When he had both sabers, I figured he'd pull a Dookoo on her.

Vader holding up a whole spaceship is a new one, but I guess we've seen it before.  But we really don't need to be making Rise of Skywalker force abilities canon, lest we get Vader/Obi Wan SpaceTime conversations and nobody wants that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Vader holding up a whole spaceship is a new one, but I guess we've seen it before.  But we really don't need to be making Rise of Skywalker force abilities canon, lest we get Vader/Obi Wan SpaceTime conversations and nobody wants that.

Wasn't there a game, like, 20 years ago where you were Vader's apprentice and you pulled entire Star Destroyers from the sky at the end?

23 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Wasn't there a game, like, 20 years ago where you were Vader's apprentice and you pulled entire Star Destroyers from the sky at the end?

Yeah, but Force Unleashed wasn't considered canon even before Disney nuked any non-TV EU stuff.

Its only new to modern canon if you haven't read the comics. Vader pulled something similar off I think in the very first issue of Aaron's Stars Wars run. Ever since the Mortis episodes of Clone Wars Anakin/Vader is considered to be at that ridiculously high a power level. I doubt he can pull Star Destroyers down, but he can do that to smaller ships.

I have no problem with Vader doing that, since it was established early on that he had Yoda levels of power. Add to that decades of training under Obi-Wan AND Palpatine, and it's way less offensive than someone like Rey doing it.

• Like 1

So apparently since I am a SW geek and an aging martial arts practitioner, I am the only one marking out for Vader using Force enhanced Echani bare-handed defense techniques to counter Reva's saber attacks.  I think there was also a scene in the first episode where a Jedi was holding an Echani training session when the shit hit the fan. 

Vader also used the Force to swipe Reva's sabers and disarm her just like Obi-Wan did to him.  He learned so much from that single fight.

It it interesting to note that Vader is still very much Anakin Skywalker in that despite his flashes of genius in combat, his hatred of Obi-Wan still gives him a rather petulant attitude.  That is his primary source of strength as well as his weakness.  Angry people make mistakes, yet Anakin / Vader is an entitled d-bag and will punish others for his failures.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to Obi Wan Kenobi (SPOILERS) - Disney+ Limited Series
On 6/19/2022 at 8:48 PM, Technico Support said:

“That girl who betrayed me and tirelessly plotted against me for probably 15 years?  I’ll stab her once and leave her alive, no problem.”  

Fucking dumb

I think that's the point.

Anakin's arrogance and impatience have always been his weaknesses, but those negative personality traits fuel the Dark Side so he sees them as virtues.  

Anakin continues to underestimate his enemies even after becoming Darth Vader.  He makes the same mistakes over and over again because his arrogance will always blind him.  Under all of that black armor is the entitled brat with daddy issues that we've known since Attack of the Clones.

We keep trying to see Vader and Anakin as separate entities, but they are one and the same.   It should not surprise you that Anakin's character flaws still plague him as Darth Vader.  Those flaws are glaring in this series since this is Vader:  Year One and Young Vader is ever the douchebag that Anakin was.  Maybe even worse now that his missing legs and arm constantly remind him of who he used to be and he lacks the maturity that will come with age.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think that's the point.

Anakin's arrogance and impatience have always been his weaknesses, but those negative personality traits fuel the Dark Side so he sees them as virtues.  

Anakin continues to underestimate his enemies even after becoming Darth Vader.  He makes the same mistakes over and over again because his arrogance will always blind him.  Under all of that black armor is the entitled brat with daddy issues that we've known since Attack of the Clones.

We keep trying to see Vader and Anakin as separate entities, but they are one and the same.   It should not surprise you that Anakin's character flaws still plague him as Darth Vader.  Those flaws are glaring in this series since this is Vader:  Year One and Young Vader is ever the douchebag that Anakin was.  Maybe even worse now that his missing legs and arm constantly remind him of who he used to be and he lacks the maturity that will come with age.

This is all accurate. The more mature Vader really isn't around until original trilogy time and even still there are still hang ups that occasionally mess with him like anything to do with Padme.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 8:48 PM, Technico Support said:

“That girl who betrayed me and tirelessly plotted against me for probably 15 years?  I’ll stab her once and leave her alive, no problem.”  

Fucking dumb

That's also pretty consistent with Vader in the comic books. Sometimes arrogant, sometimes has a conscience, winds up making unforced errors.

• Like 4

As a series, I thought this had a few dips, but feel like it finished strong with the last two episodes. For a show that threatened to create some plotholes, it actually ended up creating some important context to some original trilogy stuff.

Big fan of them actually explaining Obi-Wan calling him "Darth" in ANH, and everything in that scene was excellent.

perhaps_i_treated_you_too_harshly.jpg

• Like 9

I guess when someone leaves you for dead, burning alive on a lava planet.  It tends to stick with you as the most painful cruel action that someone can take.  Vader suffers thus he inflicts that same suffering on others.  Not the most strategic approach.  But hey! Petty assholes gonna asshole.  Which Vader most definitely is.

Or to quote the Grand Inqisitor “There are some things worse than death.”

For this round of Vaders story.  I was impressed with how perceptible his anger was.  For once they really made him vocalize it.  In fact I have zero problem with Hayden using a vocal filter to present as James Earl Jones.  It worked. 

This show was a good time.  Loved Obi Wan and Vaders presentation throughout.  Having Jimmy Smits, seeing Alderaan, Uncle Owen, and The Inquisitors were very good.  

The new characters were pretty good too.  Tala and Reva delivered the goods.  It’ll please me to no end when they eventually announce a Reva series as a fuck you to the racist dicks that tried raising so much hell over her part in the show.

The young actress that played Leia had a couple of wonky moments.  She wasn’t very good at running.  But her delivery of dialogue was strong.  But yeah, they could have just black bagged her immediately and cut out the chase.  I admit I got a little weepy with Obi Wan talking about her real parents.  Good choice having her willingly accepting what she has in the Organas.

”You want to meet him?”  Yes.

• Like 3

There was a lot of stuff to like and some stuff not to like in the finale.

• Writing was off the chain.  I love how Deborah Chow took the dumbest dialogue sequence in the franchise aka Ben's "certain point of view" lie about Vader killing Luke's father and made it a self-fulfilling prophesy with Vader's final soliloquy.  "You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker.  I did."  And you know that Ben has finally given up on trying to save Anakin's soul because he calls him "Darth."  FUCK, YEAH~!!!
  • Vader and Ben's saber fight sooooo sets up the ill-fated duel on the Death Star. "I’ve been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."  "Only a master of evil, Darth."  Again, FUCK YEAH~!
  • Reva's redemption was garbage.  She was perfectly willing to put hot needles in Leia's eyes, but somehow she can't bring herself to kill Luke?  I call bullshit.  Reva is far more interesting as a villain / anti-hero than she is a redeemed Sith do-gooder.  It is annoying that this series with so much to offer the SW canon ultimately is little more than a vehicle to launch Reva into her own series.  Fucking Disney and their marketing.

Bravo, Deborah Chow, you love the materiel and it showed.  She and Jon Favreau seem to be the only SW directors that "get it."  If she is not doing full length SW movies sometime soon, it will be a lost opportunity.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, RonL21 said:

I haven't rewatched Empire or ROTJ in a while, but is the most work James Earl Jones has done as Vader?  I don't remember him having this much dialogue before.

They used the Respeecher gimmick combined with Hayden's line reads. I don't think Jones ever entered the booth.