DVDVR Message Board

Obi Wan Kenobi (SPOILERS) - Disney+ Limited Series

Dolfan in NYC

The Princess Leia Power Hour is something a I want to be a thing as much as anything in this worked. I had one friend refer to this as "The Ob-Wan Kenobi Show" and I instantly got images of Vader and Ben in an Odd Couple sitcom where OCD snob Vader has to put up with post Clone Wars Ben with Al Molinaro in there as Murray the stormtrooper

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

What writer didn't know he was Anakin?

Joby Harold, but his interview more implies he never watched, or payed attention to, Episode III, which would be... problematic for someone writing a show around Obi-Wan and Vader.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Joby Harold, but his interview more implies he never watched, or payed attention to, Episode III, which would be... problematic for someone writing a show around Obi-Wan and Vader.

I feel like this would be a thing to worry about if it wasn't just one writer out of 5 and a director who likely did watch/known their stuff. It also seems like he was more the teleplay/script writer opposed to the person designing most of the story/direction.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I feel like this would be a thing to worry about if it wasn't just one writer out of 5 and a director who likely did watch/known their stuff. It also seems like he was more the teleplay/script writer opposed to the person designing most of the story/direction.

He's the head writer and show runner.

• Like 1

Just now, Raziel said:

He's the head writer and show runner.

The show runner is Deborah Chow. Still I can see how it would be worrying if he didn't know anything. The problem is what I read of that interview General Sherman posted kind of says the complete opposite about his knowledge of events.

• Like 1

They made a conscious decision not to follow canon on Obi Wan being aware of Ani’s name change to Vader and that he explicitly says in the original trilogy that he hid Luke and Leia from their father. If that kind of stuff bugs someone that’s fine, but this was clearly a whisper down the lane thing where what he said somehow became not knowing Anakin was Vader.

Plus, television writing has historically been hired guns with a passing understanding of what they’re working on turning something in to someone else with a show bible who can hammer out any continuity problems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterien said:

Son of Ice Cube: “Under no circumstances will I help you. Absolutely not.” 

Obi-Wan:

Son of Ice Cube: “You sonofabitch, I’m in!”

Looool I thought the same thing!

Reminds me of that scene in Rise of Skywalker

Lady Daft Punk: fuck you rebels.  Me and the crew are turning you in for the bounty money!

Rey: (does a tiny bit of lightsaber shit)

Lady Daft Punk: okay we will help you you’re kinda badass 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, (BP) said:

They made a conscious decision not to follow canon on Obi Wan being aware of Ani’s name change to Vader and that he explicitly says in the original trilogy that he hid Luke and Leia from their father. If that kind of stuff bugs someone that’s fine, but this was clearly a whisper down the lane thing where what he said somehow became not knowing Anakin was Vader.

I don't recall Kenobi being aware Anakin survived to become Vader at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

Vader is such a petty douche that he tried to set Obi-Wan on fire and make Kenobi suffer in the same manner that he did.  THAT is the behavior I expect from a Sith Lord.

I thought the most disturbing, and yet sort of adorable, image of the whole episode was happy Anakin inside the bacta tank replaying dragging Obi Wan through the fire.  Imagine 10 years of constant pain and you FINALLY get some redemption (in your mind) and he looked like he was filled with complete childish glee.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I don't recall Kenobi being aware Anakin survived to become Vader at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

He was aware that Anakin’s new Sith name was Vader (so was Yoda.) I don’t remember whether Vader’s name gets dropped in front of Ben in the first three episodes, but I guess it’s on the audience to draw the conclusion that he’s never heard about Palpatine’s Jedi hunting enforcer while he was on Tatooine.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

He didn't know he survived (if Yoda was aware, he didn't let on).

However, there are people in the single digits that knew Anakin = Vader, so unless Reva survived Knightfall and saw a Clone Trooper or Palpatine call Anakin Vader, there's no reason she would've known (and thus her being the one to tell Obi-Wan that instead of him getting fucking slammed with it on Mapuzo is less than ideal).

I don't get the whole plot of kidnapping Leia to pull out Obi-Wan as it was a full fledged gamble that Bail even knew where Obi-Wan was to get help, but at this point, most of Star Wars only works if you admit the characters have barely enough intelligence to remember to breathe and the Force just likes fucking with people.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

I think people are misconstruing Joby Harold's comments. Specifically, the clickbait writers at Bounding Into Comics and bad-faith YouTubers such as Star Wars Theory, Fandom Menace etc. 

I read this article, and I didn't get any impression he didn't know Anakin was Vader. He was wanting to explore if Obi-Wan Kenobi knew Anakin Skywalker was alive for the last 10 years. 

https://www.thewrap.com/why-obi-wan-didnt-know-anakin-was-alive-vader-joby-harold/

“That was actually not something I pitched originally,” Harold told TheWrap during a recent interview. “That was something I discovered along the way, and sort of had to confirm with Pablo [Hidalgo] and really think, ‘Hold on a second, what does he actually know? Does he know the moniker Vader? What would that mean? Can he associate the two? What was he cognizant of? How isolated is he? Where’s Vader at that time? Where’s his reputation and how well known is he?’ and all those pieces of the puzzle.”

So basically it seems like people are making BS up in order to trash the show.

I don't get the whole plot of kidnapping Leia to pull out Obi-Wan as it was a full fledged gamble that Bail even knew where Obi-Wan was to get help, but at this point, most of Star Wars only works if you admit the characters have barely enough intelligence to remember to breathe and the Force just likes fucking with people.

Bail Organa was right there with Yoda and Kenobi when they were making plans for the children:

Kenobi: What of the boy?

Yoda: To Tatooine. To his family send him.

Organa knew where Kenobi was and how to find him. It doesn't take a genius to figure out they exchanged holocomm numbers in case of emergency.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

But how did the Reva know that kidnapping an old Senator's daughter would bring back #1 on Vader's hitlist.  Like, he's a Senator and the husband of the fucking Queen of the planet.  A Jedi he might have at least a 10 year old connection with wouldn't exactly be the first person you'd think he'd call.

4 hours ago, CSC said:

I thought the most disturbing, and yet sort of adorable, image of the whole episode was happy Anakin inside the bacta tank replaying dragging Obi Wan through the fire.  Imagine 10 years of constant pain and you FINALLY get some redemption (in your mind) and he looked like he was filled with complete childish glee.  

It was so great because that's how the Dark Side works!   Vader has been cultivating his hate for all that time and waiting for the chance to unleash it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

But how did the Reva know that kidnapping an old Senator's daughter would bring back #1 on Vader's hitlist.  Like, he's a Senator and the husband of the fucking Queen of the planet.  A Jedi he might have at least a 10 year old connection with wouldn't exactly be the first person you'd think he'd call.

It's not a giant leap. She's clearly been studying and after Kenobi for a long time. This is a vendetta. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that Bail Organa and Kenobi had a relationship and were friends during the Clone Wars. She found a thread and she pulled it to try and draw Kenobi out. It worked. Doing this also upset the Grand Inquisitor. Maybe Organa doesn't call Kenobi. That was a risk she was willing to take.

Also, she was clearly one of those kids in the prologue scene at the Jedi temple. This is a personal vendetta for her.

• Like 3

I want a flashback where it turns out Reva’s bitter because at the temple she was put in charge of caring for Grogu.

“Principal Yoda and Ms. Yaddle were in a closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and it looked at me.” 

“The baby looked at you?”

• Haha 4

Vader being badass is totally badass.  Watching him fight Reva and seeing how he'd gained so much evil wisdom from his duel with Obi-Wan in the flashback saber fight was fucking scary. 

I also appreciated the practical double-bladed lightsaber that did not cause you to cut yourself in half while using it.

Unsuprisingly, the lack of continuity does not bother me in the matter of Vader's Force abilities being on roids this episode..  Artoo's deus ex machina rocket thrusters and the retcon to expunge Traviss's Mandalorian lore has conditioned us all to ignore the odd hiccup in story lore.  It's all about the Rule of Cool.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Vader being badass is totally badass.  Watching him fight Reva and seeing how he'd gained so much evil wisdom from his duel with Obi-Wan in the flashback saber fight was fucking scary.

Did I go, "HOLY SHIT ANAKIN?!?!?" like in Rogue One and Rebels? Yes, yes I did. Mission accomplished, that was exactly what I wanted from the series, etc. .

• Like 5

That Deborah Chow knows how to direct the fuck out of an action sequence. We still have 1 episode left with a few dangling threads so I'm very interested to see how this wraps up. Also, this episode was chock full of great quotable lines.

James

• Like 5

I loved the Vader/Reva fight, that was fucking aces.

But Reva lives through the fight and is going to know about the twins and lure Vader to Tatooiene.... fucking enough already.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Did I go, "HOLY SHIT ANAKIN?!?!?" like in Rogue One and Rebels? Yes, yes I did. Mission accomplished, that was exactly what I wanted from the series, etc. .

Unless we get a Darth Vader solo series, this will be the closest thing to it. Both Rogue One, episode three/episode five of Obi-Wan Kenobi get Darth Vader right as this malevolent force (pun intended) that will fuck you the fuck up. Vader's my favourite Star Wars character and THAT scene in Rogue One is my favourite in all of Star Wars. Cool seeing a flashback sequence of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker from Attack of the Clones era sparring.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Pics?

The double-saber Reva uses has the ring thingie around the hilt and she only employed it in twin mode perform the Daffy Duck as Robin Hood spin dealie as a defensive move.

Hasbro-Reva-The-Third-Sister-Force-FX-El

When she goes on offense, she either uses one blade or dual wields with a saber in each hand.   She doesn't appear to practice the double-bladed Vapaad style that Maul favors.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3