DVDVR Message Board

Obi Wan Kenobi (SPOILERS) - Disney+ Limited Series

Dolfan in NYC

Since this is going to be a huge thing (and I can't find the Star Wars thread), I'll open the spoiler thread here.  

Announcement came out today that the premier on D+ will be on FRIDAY May 27th now with the first two episodes.

Here's a trailer:

I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan, but I'm all fuckin' in for that. I'm hesitant on starting Boba Fett since I've never watched the Mandalorian, so hopefully the barrier to entry for this show is "watched the prequels? you're good, this is before the original trilogy" and not "watch the Mandalorian, and Rebels, and Boba Fett, and..."

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

It's probably prequels with some nods to Clone Wars and is very obviously going to expand on the Inquisitors outside of what we've seen out of Clone Wars/Fallen Order.  Which it's still considerably less Extra materiel than Mandalorian/Boba Fett.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will be curious to see how Ewan McGregor performs under a different director with hopefully better dialogue than what George Lucas wrote.

Deborah Chow is the director of this show, and she directed IMO some of the best episodes of Mandalorian.

That said, the writer/showrunner for the series is Joby Harold, and his credits are not quite as endearing. He wrote and directed Awake, which was an OK-ish high-concept thriller. He also wrote the Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie and Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead, so YMMV.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First two parts were good though they annoy me on a continuity level.

Spoiler

Damn near no one is supposed to know Vader is Anakin let alone any of the inquisitors. Seems odd for Reva to know. The Grand Inquisitor dying here is some bullshit that fucks with Rebels in the continuity if it sticks. 

Yeah, there's some major continuity stuff wrong here between the Grand Inquisitor and anyone that's not Yoda, Obi-Wan, or Palpatine knowing Vader is Anakin (shit, Ashoka didn't even know until she fought Vader).  

Looks like Qui-Gon taught Obi-Wan some throat punching along with the commune with the passed in the Force stuff.

But Filioni doesn't have a credit anywhere on this so that explains some of that bit.

Edited by Raziel

Everyone online is either complaining about the Grand Inquisitor stuff, or saying 'tis merely a flesh wound and it's just a plot device to get him out of the picture so the story can focus on Reva chasing after Obi-Wan (who was almost certainly the child they focused on during the Order 66 stuff at the beginning of Episode 1, right?).

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 9:41 AM, Zimbra said:

FTvdrSYVIAAVjAf?format=jpg&name=large

A milion billion stars for this alone.

They should've gone all in and use all four Peppers as the kidnappers. It's a different kind of continuity, but it fits. Especially if Flea still had the stuffed doll pants.

• Like 3

Not sure how he is in other stuff, but Friend felt miscast as the Grand Inquisitor. Honestly, the way things went, I'm not even sure why they included the character if he was going to be an issue to pushing the writers'/director's own Inquisitor. It was waste all around with the characterization being mixed at best as well. The class stuff especially felt off and unnecessary.

• Like 1

So far, I'm digging this.

It does have one issue that I've had with some of the other Star Wars series.  There's a couple moments of "how the hell did this not get cut out" in the Leia chase in the woods.  More than once, the kidnappers are thwarted by a branch at knee level or something similarly easy to get past.  Just some tighter editing on that scene, and it's fine.  It reminded me of the space mod kid doing that weird spin move before shooting in Boba Fett.  I just wonder how someone watched those scenes and said, "Yep.  Looks great!"

• Like 3

Yep, that chase in the woods looked ridiculous. Also the actress playing Leia runs like a toddler so it's hard to believe that grown ups would have trouble catching her. It's also hard believing that she's supposed to be playing a ten year old. Although, wiki says she's turning 10 this week, I presume this was filmed a couple years ago, or she's just a really short girl.

Also while I'm bitching about a little girl, I have to say I find the character annoying. What is it with this franchise and wanting to show iconic characters as whiny little brats?

• Like 2

Echoing the issues with the chase in the woods. Watched this with my 13 yr old nephew and my sister and even my nephew points to his mom and says "Come on! Even you could catch her!" 

Hoping we get time with Luke though who knows, but if we can get little Leia being a smart ass then maybe we can get Luke trying to dodge his chores to go hang with Wedge and the guys ? 

Every one of us about jumped out our seats seeing the Clone. I kept wondering if we'd get young Boba at any point since he'd be in his 20s I think by this point, but getting a 501st Clone was exciting enough 

• Like 1

It’s 3:30AM and Vader is just casually killing a little kid (again) and dragging Obi-Wan through fire.

I’m still really curious how Hayden is going to be in this show. Flashbacks? Vader mask off scenes or something?

Also I’m all in on Reva, I love her.

• Like 4