DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania Dynamite - 3/30/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I love Willie Hobbs, but have no problem with waiting on his ascent til he's really truly ready.  Til then he's doing a great job of keeping himself fresh while playing the midcard gatekeeper.  On the otherhand, I don't see much reason for waiting on Hayter's ascent.  There are few if any at her talent level - I trust @DEAN's analysis of Toni Storm, so there's potentially her.  And Deeb's at her level, but the current Deeb role is pretty terrific (tho, I could use a weekly dose).  I don't really care so much about belting Jamie, but I would love to see her much, much more.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Storm is just on a different level than the rest of the division.  AEW ladies are at the highest level WWE women's division good (which is really good), some are indie good, a lot are green and promising.  Storm is Stardom good.  She lays it in and plays it really big.  The Bunny got to up her game and lay it in and had the best match I've seen her have because Toni Storm is at a different level.

I'm glad someone else gets it, holy shit. Hayter, Storm, Deeb and Mercedes Martinez are a goddamn murderers' row of talent.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

She looked energetic, motivated, and she sold well.  That kinda piledriver finish was a little botchy, IMO, but Toni Storm has usually been the good worker in search of a good finisher.  I was not a big fan of here WWE finishers.

That's kinda just how her Strong/Storm Zero piledriver is, though? And I liked her tigerbomb finish, it always looked very crisp and had a nice snap to it.

• Like 5

I am not sure why Regal only calls Excalibur as "the man in the mask"  but it kinda charming 

I might be alone on this but I thought Bunny got too much offense in the match.  I thought the match did so much more for her than Toni.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bunny looked good and arguably she has a case for being featured more (great character work, has improved her in-ring, had the great bloodbath and I believe is canonically the Head of the Table now when it comes to head to head ratings). She'll never be a super-worker but she was really good in Impact with promos and carrying the weight of angles that she could probably be featured higher. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

The beauty of AEW is very rarely does a talent get buried in a loss. Nobody gets treated like Ricochet got done last Friday and Monday. Victories matter but hard fought losses won't ruin a character.

Yep.  Fucking Wheeler Yuta, who never wins and was not going to beat Danielson, was still cheered in his match.  Darby Allin, one of their hottest acts who is in one of their main angles, just ate a semi-clean loss.  AEW's win/loss booking is great.  There will be jobs done and you have to take people seriously because anybody is a few Dark wins away from being somebody.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I like the Rocky III booking of Smart Mark Sterling picking tomato can opponents for Jade, but she wants to get in the ring with bonafide killer Marina Shafir to prove to everyone that she is the true fighting champ of the ladies' division.

LOOOL Shafir taunting Jade's husband, telling her to come back to her apartment to see what a real woman is like, would be something.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am not sure why Regal only calls Excalibur as "the man in the mask"  but it kinda charming 

I might be alone on this but I thought Bunny got too much offense in the match.  I thought the match did so much more for her than Toni.  

I liked the fact that they had an established AEW wrestler basically standing toe-to-toe with this surprise contestant, but again I'm biased towards Bunny and also that was my first time seeing (or even really hearing of ) Toni Storm.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Bunny looked good and arguably she has a case for being featured more (great character work, has improved her in-ring, had the great bloodbath and I believe is canonically the Head of the Table now when it comes to head to head ratings). She'll never be a super-worker but she was really good in Impact with promos and carrying the weight of angles that she could probably be featured higher. 

I'm very happy to see all the love for Bunny in this thread. Once the Andrade Family Office stuff runs its course, I'd love to see her and B&B hook up with House of Black. It's too bad we're not there yet because it would be a good way to even the numbers for this upcoming Dark Order feud.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, hammerva said:

This has kind of become an AEW trope. Longer matches are always better in terms of rating for quality. But sometimes a short decisive win does more for a talent then a 10 minute good match. Toni Storm would have got more juice to her being a big deal with a decisive 3 minute win. And that's not a knock against the quality of the match at all. It's just you're debuting someone new hot star, having them go 50/50 for 10 minutes kind of pencils them in as just another guy to some of the audience. I did especially like the sell for the back to back superkicks she took tho. Good match overall. But had a chance to debut her on a pedestal with something more decisive.

Overall super fun episode. Loved the Mox / Lethal match and the Danielson / Yuta match. Andrade vs Darby was fucking good too as was Ass Boys / FTR. I've seen people on here really tout the Assboys as geting better and I'll be honest I was like dafuq is this about. But that match cemented them as being a solid bump and feed shitty heel team. They deserve their spot in the tag division. And my god Dax has a hell of a worked punch.

Only real negative I can think of was the JAS segment. I'm just not feeling it. The group is too forced. And that segment went way too long. Wonder what two dudes join up with Eddie & PNP? Lucha Bros? Homicide & Hernandez? Could be anyone.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Toni has the potential to be such a star. It's crazy that her "gimmick" was that she loved 80s music and her mom was a hippie or some wack ass horseshit like that. 

In all my excitement last PM/AM I forgot to mention that Toni's Heart-esque with Rush vibes music was killer!!!!  AEW continually hitting home runs on the music

I was a big Toni Storm fan in NXT.  Admittedly I never sought out her Stardom stuff but she has mega superstar potential.  HHH definitely saw it and she checked every single box for them, another in a long line of what ifs

The match itself wasn't bad but the crowd definitely hurt it.  I wouldn't have squashed Bunny so I probably would have picked a different opponent here, but this should have been a 5 minute showcase, not a long match with a commercial break on a show loaded with great in-ring

Also forgot to put over the Andrade-Darby match.  I feel like I've seen better action from them, but this was still really good.  And as many people noted Andrade really needed this win.  He's been consistently great in AEW but he's lost all his big matches starting with he who shall not be named

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

The beauty of AEW is very rarely does a talent get buried in a loss. Nobody gets treated like Ricochet got done last Friday and Monday. Victories matter but hard fought losses won't ruin a character.

I agree because Bunny came off great in defeat last night. Losing as she did, doesn't take away from her as a threat. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Nah, V is the one where Pauly signs away power of attorney and Rocky gets cleaned out. Then he trains Tommy Gunn while his son gets pissed and runs around with a pierced ear. 

It's also one of the greatest comedies of all time.

But at the very beginning you had Union Cane getting called a Paper Champion by the media. He was managed by Duke who only had him face jabroni's and Cane demanded that Duke put him up against Balboa who was adamant that he was retired- which is why he took Tommy Gunn under his wing to train him for Union Cane... right?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I agree because Bunny came off great in defeat last night. Losing as she did, doesn't take away from her as a threat. 

and when you finally get a Toni Storm promo/interview, she can say that she came in thinking she could easily dominate, but clearly underestimated the AEW women's competitors and it won't happen again.

• Like 3

I only caught the last little bit. I really loved the Darby/Andrade match. That was such a well-told story -- Andrade knowing Darby's intro and taking advantage, him using his size and strength advantage along with his dastardly cunning ways, Darby's pluck until the cluster ending. 

My favorite part of that match was the slapfight. That spot has become pretty common over the years, with both the babyface and the heel having what's essentially a brawl right in the middle of the match. I usually hate those spots because they don't feel real. A lot of the punches feel off. Or it's just a segment in a match because it's the middle of the match but it doesn't connect what was told before or where it's headed after. And the crowds never react to them even though it's supposed to get a big moment pop.

I think this was a really well-done version of a tired spot. They tagged each other crazy with those slaps. It came off of when Darby had to do a "dig down deep" moment to get back into the match. Darby showed the right amount of fire. Andrade showed the right amount of worry that the match was slipping away, but it took him a few moments before he started to have that look about him. 

Really good match. I hope we can move on soon from the Hardyz being involved in this but Darby vs. Andrade is a really great pairing and we're due a blow-off at the next PPV.

• Like 3

Bunny is a really good gatekeeper.  It's a great role for her.  I don't really see what others seem to concerning her being anywhere near dynamic, or particulary strong, with her offense, but she's a terrific bumper/seller.  I like the Bunny role and most of the character work, but not so into the hammy camera taunts and the 'I'm so kuh-razy' shit.  Tho, it does work fine enough for her modest level on the card.  I love the hardworking AEW gatekeepers getting praise, but also don't feel the need for them to move up the card.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

But at the very beginning you had Union Cane getting called a Paper Champion by the media. He was managed by Duke who only had him face jabroni's and Cane demanded that Duke put him up against Balboa who was adamant that he was retired- which is why he took Tommy Gunn under his wing to train him for Union Cane... right?

Yes. 3, however, is where Rocky is the one whippin' on Mulkeys because Mickey was protecting him. 

I'm gonna stop there because I don't wanna talk about Mick further than that. ?

• Thanks 1

I'd gush and gush about Darby/Andrade but I know they've got a stellar 20 minute PPV/title match in them. Andrade's the best base in AEW (for now...) and it's getting more and more obvious what a world class talent he is. Absolute meat aisle of a man, look for lightyears, a real gimmick, killer moveset, deceptively safe and thoughtful with everything he does. I don't know if he and Darby have the "character chemistry" of Andrade vs. PAC but they've certainly got it with the action. 

I think Darby has been a Top Five guy in the company for his entire run and I don't know who is possibly doubting it any more.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

Toni has the potential to be such a star. It's crazy that her "gimmick" was that she loved 80s music and her mom was a hippie or some wack ass horseshit like that. 

Her origin story's something like: "someone told me I was SO punk rock. But I had never heard of any of the groups patched all over Ruby Riott. So I just went back to being a loner and kicking ass. *wink*" 

That's how I believe it happened anyways...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1