DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Hyper Battle, 9th April 2022 *contains New Japan Cup spoilers*

The Natural

C&P from f4wonline.com:

okada.webp

New Japan Cup 2022 winner Zack Sabre Jr. will challenge Kazuchika Okada after winning the tournament this past weekend, defeating Tetsuya Naito in the finals. The two haven’t faced one another in a singles match since the 2019 G1 Climax tournament.

The undercard will have five title matches based on feuds that started during the New Japan Cup tour. EVIL will defend the NEVER Openweight title against Hiromu Takahashi, who defeated EVIL during the New Japan Cup. El Desperado, meanwhile, was assaulted by SHO during the NJPW Cup finals, and the two will now face off for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship.

Here is the full card for Hyper Battle, which will take place at Sumo Hall:

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship.
  • El Desperado vs. SHO for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
  • Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI vs. Great-O-Khan and Jeff Cobb for the IWGP Tag Team Championship.
  • EVIL vs. Hiromu Takahashi for the NEVER Openweight Championship.
  • Toru Yano vs. Taichi for the provisional KOPW 2022 trophy.
  • Ryusuke Taguchi and Master Wato vs. El Phantasmo and Taiji Ishimori for the IWGP Junior Tag Team Championship.
  • Tetsuya Naito and Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay and Aaron Henare.
  • Jado, Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale, Gedo, Yujiro Takahashi, and Chase Owens.
Edited by The Natural

It's Zack Sabre Jr's time. ZSJ should win the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship from Kazuchika Okada and by submission. The last time Okada gave up was against Shinsuke Nakamura in the 2015 G1 Climax. It's the only match on the card I'm interested in. Pity Hiromu Takahashi getting lumbered with EVIL. Poor bugger.

• Thanks 1

I think the giveaway is the word "bruciare" in the promo video, which is Italian for to be burning or to be on fire so I'm 99% sure it is Francisco Akira. 

I think this is the last major tour/show before we start getting some foreigners/outsiders back in. Okada & Zack are my 1a & 1b for wrestler of the year so far, so I'm obviously very hyped for this one. Goto/YOSHI-HASHI vs United Empire should be good too if given the right amount of time, I think Chaos retains though as my hope is that post-match (probaby via video) Aussie Open challenge to bring them in (and finally get a full strength United Empire). 

Hiromu seems to be the guy that gets the best out of House of Horrors EVIL. Their 2020 match in Nagoya was really good and they had a super fun match at Korakuen in the New Japan Cup this year. Of the top half of the card, the only match I'm kind of dreading is Desperado vs SHO, Despy is bloody awesome but I don't know if even he can drag something good out of EVIL Jr.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

United Empire are adding a Junior to their unit. Some think it's Francesco Akira who used to work for AJPW.

Hey, good for him. He really improved during his time in AJPW.

• Like 1

AKIRA is the guy who walks out at about the one minute mark.

Makai has been around for a while now. It's billed as "hybrid entertainment" and features lots of wrestlers from all over the place, possibly everywhere except NJPW and Dragon Gate. They're kind of fantasy horror story based. AKIRA has been doing it for a while. Hikaru Shida is a big part of it too so the last few shows were her return after she was in the US. It might be her project as they were sort of gone when she was gone but that might have also coincided with covid.  I think ASUKA took part in the early shows. They used to take place in a ring but have moved to doing stage shows.

Here's AKIRA and TARU (!) doing a short iphone shot series:

Edited by lostinube

12 hours ago, Horangi said:

I think the giveaway is the word "bruciare" in the promo video, which is Italian for to be burning or to be on fire so I'm 99% sure it is Francisco Akira. 

I think this is the last major tour/show before we start getting some foreigners/outsiders back in. Okada & Zack are my 1a & 1b for wrestler of the year so far, so I'm obviously very hyped for this one. Goto/YOSHI-HASHI vs United Empire should be good too if given the right amount of time, I think Chaos retains though as my hope is that post-match (probaby via video) Aussie Open challenge to bring them in (and finally get a full strength United Empire). 

Hiromu seems to be the guy that gets the best out of House of Horrors EVIL. Their 2020 match in Nagoya was really good and they had a super fun match at Korakuen in the New Japan Cup this year. Of the top half of the card, the only match I'm kind of dreading is Desperado vs SHO, Despy is bloody awesome but I don't know if even he can drag something good out of EVIL Jr.

Yeah, Despy's great but it's going to be a challenge dragging something good from SHO. Feel for Hiromu getting stuck with EVIL again for the reason you provided.

If ZSJ isn’t going over a draw is the right call to for his growth. He’s at the cusp right now and either a hard fought draw or a win will cement him as a main event level guy going forward. 

• Like 1

Post-COVID do you want a foreign champ, NJPW doubling down on the UK base with the two-pronged ZSJ + Ospreay attack after losing the US market? Or do you want big champ Okada showing up in AEW or Impact and getting what you can out of the bigger viewer base?

Either way I think the booking is gonna be business over art for awhile. If I have the book I have Okada draw with Zack, beat two other guys, then spend the entirety of the G1 on foreign shores with a bunch of top-tier Junior Heavies working his undercards (and while some big gaijin, Danielson?, work the G1). Bravely have Okada drop the IWGP between the G1 and Wrestle Kingdom. You don't need Okada on top to draw big crowds if COVID's over because everybody will be starved for a Dome show. And if it isn't? You weren't drawing a big crowd anyways. Money to be made with Kenny vs. Okada in the states and Kenny vs Kota at the Dome, a meaningful Danielson program with whoever he wants to work, and getting the goddamned ball rolling with Shooter and Tsuji. Let's stack some paper, people~!

It’s nice to be excited about a NJPW event again. Outside of WK this is tge most excited of been about them in quite a while and I’m probably anticipating this even more than WK this year cause I wasn’t that big on it. The New Japan cup kept me a subscriber of World. Hope this is a satisfying big event.

Spoiler

Kazuchika Okada retained the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship against Zack Sabre Jr. Glad I didn't watch. NJPW should have pulled the trigger and put the belt on ZSJ. Afterwards Okada challenged Tetsuya Naito to a rubber match at Wrestle Dontaku. Have little to no interest in that either as it'll be their third match in five months: New Year's Golden Series 2022, New Japan Cup 2022 and Wrestle Dontaku 2022. Stale booking, Gedo.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Will Ospreay for the vacant IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship at the same show. Tanahashi should never have lost his two title reigns so soon as he did. It's become a hot potato since the longest reign in the belt's history ended, Jon Moxley's second reign.

Edited by The Natural

Spoiler

I expected Zack to lose, Will is above him.

Taichi won. Not sure his aim to make the KOPW a bigger deal will happen.

Evil (c) vs Tama is next for the Never belt.

4,755 Fans

Francesco Akira debuted and joined U.E. Former AJPW junior division guy.

G1 Climax 32 dates below

20 shows this year instead of 19:

16.07.2022 @ Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center Hokkai Kitayell
17.07.2022 @ Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center Hokkai Kitayell
20.07.2022 @ Xebio Arena Sendai
23.07.2022 @ Ota City General Gymnasium
24.07.2022 @ Ota City General Gymnasium
26.07.2022 @ Tokyo Korakuen Hall
27.07.2022 @ Tokyo Korakuen Hall
30.07.2022 @ Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium (Dolphins Arena)
31.07.2022 @ Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium (Dolphins Arena)
02.08.2022 @ Hamamatsu Arena
05.08.2022 @ Ehime Item
06.08.2022 @ Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
07.08.2022 @ Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
09.08.2022 @ Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall
10.08.2022 @ Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall
13.08.2022 @ Machida City General Gymnasium
14.08.2022 @ Nagano White Ring
16.08.2022 @ Tokyo Nippon Budokan
17.08.2022 @ Tokyo Nippon Budokan
18.08.2022 @ Tokyo Nippon Budokan

The show was fine, nothing to as bad but nothing was great either. The main was good but with the streak of matches ZSJ was having it was a bit of a disappointment regardless of outcome. 

Spoiler

Having ZSJ destroy Okada’s right arm and not have it play into the end and killing him with one rainmaker leaves a bad taste. 

was nice to see O-Khan and Cobb win the tag belts they’re both the best part of their stable and I’ve been a fan of O-Khan since his young lion days and good to see him coming into his own. Plus he’s a hero

I think I’m going to take a break from NJPW until the G1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

The show was fine, nothing to as bad but nothing was great either. The main was good but with the streak of matches ZSJ was having it was a bit of a disappointment regardless of outcome. 

Hide contents

Having ZSJ destroy Okada’s right arm and not have it play into the end and killing him with one rainmaker leaves a bad taste. 

was nice to see O-Khan and Cobb win the tag belts they’re both the best part of their stable and I’ve been a fan of O-Khan since his young lion days and good to see him coming into his own. Plus he’s a hero

I think I’m going to take a break from NJPW until the G1.

Spoiler

Agree with all you say. I was also pissed off by ZSJ work on the arm getting negated like that by one Rainmaker. ZSJ really should have won.

Maybe I'm just super  pro-NJPW in that I don't see the negatives that some of you do, but it felt from top to bottom this was a good show! Nothing that is match of the year must see, but just a good night of wrestling that made sense and built to the next point.

Spoiler

Yes, Okada vs Naito has happened twice and I think Ibushi was meant to be in Naitos spot for Fukuoka Dome, but with a big dome show upcoming it makes sense they put their two biggest names in the main. 

I also don't get Natural's criticism of the US title thing.  It's not like they meant for SANADA to get hurt.

Fukuoka looks decent, but mostly am actually really excited for Super Juniors in its rightful place. Also happy for the G1 dates, we've got our fingers crossed Japan will open for tourists by then and I'll be at the Osaka shows. 

On 4/9/2022 at 6:15 PM, Blue Dragon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I expected Zack to lose, Will is above him.

Taichi won. Not sure his aim to make the KOPW a bigger deal will happen.

Evil (c) vs Tama is next for the Never belt.

G1 Climax 32 dates below

20 shows this year instead of 19:

16.07.2022 @ Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center Hokkai Kitayell
17.07.2022 @ Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center Hokkai Kitayell
20.07.2022 @ Xebio Arena Sendai
23.07.2022 @ Ota City General Gymnasium
24.07.2022 @ Ota City General Gymnasium
26.07.2022 @ Tokyo Korakuen Hall
27.07.2022 @ Tokyo Korakuen Hall
30.07.2022 @ Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium (Dolphins Arena)
31.07.2022 @ Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium (Dolphins Arena)
02.08.2022 @ Hamamatsu Arena
05.08.2022 @ Ehime Item
06.08.2022 @ Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
07.08.2022 @ Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
09.08.2022 @ Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall
10.08.2022 @ Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall
13.08.2022 @ Machida City General Gymnasium
14.08.2022 @ Nagano White Ring
16.08.2022 @ Tokyo Nippon Budokan
17.08.2022 @ Tokyo Nippon Budokan
18.08.2022 @ Tokyo Nippon Budokan

Punching the air on behalf of the ring crew seeing all those double/triple headers after watching that Hiromu doc that The Natural linked to. G1 schedule getting kinder for them at least!

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 10:55 AM, Horangi said:

Maybe I'm just super  pro-NJPW in that I don't see the negatives that some of you do, but it felt from top to bottom this was a good show! Nothing that is match of the year must see, but just a good night of wrestling that made sense and built to the next point.

Hide contents

Yes, Okada vs Naito has happened twice and I think Ibushi was meant to be in Naitos spot for Fukuoka Dome, but with a big dome show upcoming it makes sense they put their two biggest names in the main. 

I also don't get Natural's criticism of the US title thing.  It's not like they meant for SANADA to get hurt.

Fukuoka looks decent, but mostly am actually really excited for Super Juniors in its rightful place. Also happy for the G1 dates, we've got our fingers crossed Japan will open for tourists by then and I'll be at the Osaka shows. 

Spoiler

SANADA's the exception. Injuries happen so plans change. It's the other short ones since Mox dropped the United States Heavyweight Championship. Top of my head: Archer to Tanahashi to KENTA back to Tanahashi, SANADA and vacation. I'd have booked Tanahashi to still be in his first reign which he won last August to build it up as the replacement for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship. Tana would make it prestigious for the talent he is and then lose it to someone who needs that rub. Both the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship and the NEVER Openweight Championship are lacking something.

Edited by The Natural

6 hours ago, Salads said:

Punching the air on behalf of the ring crew seeing all those double/triple headers after watching that Hiromu doc that The Natural linked to. G1 schedule getting kinder for them at least!

It's a great documentary shining light on parts of the business that don't get due credit.