DVDVR Message Board

MOON KNIGHT (SPOILER TALK)

6 hours ago, (BP) said:

I like that there’s so much academic skepticism about the existence of the Egyptian gods in a world where you can’t throw a rock without hitting a god or someone with comparable powers. 

Does the general public know Thor is an alien and not a Norse God? 

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Does the general public know Thor is an alien and not a Norse God? 

Considering what's left of the Asguardians now live in Norway, I'm gonna guess yes.

I loved this episode. This was interesting and compelling stuff.

This show is tale of two extremes. The bad episodes are really bad. But the good episodes are really good. I don't know if the series would have worked if the whole thing was set in the mental institution from the get go. But they should have tried. Because this was far better than The Scorpion King wanna be episodes.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Well it took 2/3 of the season to get one good episode but I guess you have to start somewhere.

The weird thing is, I feel reviewers are watching something entirely different because I've seen more than one site give nearly every episode glowing reviewers.

And then I'm sitting there thinking this is easily the worst thing in the MCU. Granted, I haven't watched the latest episode yet. It's just, man, I really hate Steven. I can't think of another protagonist from any other tv series I've seen that I've liked less.

• Like 3

It's down to opinion. I know nothing about Moon Knight, and wasn't particularly excited, but every episode has been decent to good. But, like I said before, each episode also does nothing to make me want to tune in the next week. I still haven't watched episode 5, and probably won't until next week where I can just binge that and the finale back to back. I'll say this: EWB & Reddit both seem to really like the show - this is the only place that I frequent where the reactions have been largely negative to each episode. Both Marvel subreddits (MarvelStudios & MarvelStudiosSpoilers) seem to really enjoy it week to week.

I suspect Ms. Marvel will be most people's most hated MCU show once that finally debuts, however.

• Like 1

I think the criticisms here, unlikable protagonist and weird genre mix, are the same I’ve seen elsewhere. It seems this is really the first MCU tV show that’s had this much criticism, while the others only have had little nit picks or people disappointed their fantasy booking didn’t happen. 

I wonder if dislike for ms marvel will come more from people who can’t relate to the main character or the super fans who hate how much of the character they change for the show.

Edited by odessasteps

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

See, I think Ms. Marvel may be the best of them all.

Yes, but we’re people of refined taste here on DVDVR.

The likes of Reddit and Twitter mutants, not so much. To @odessasteps question, I think the haters for that show will come from people who automatically hate either 1) the female characters (especially if they’re the main protagonist) and 2) anything slightly foreign to what they know (in this case, a Muslim superhero). And yeah, there will of course be people who can’t get past the power change. But even that, I think, will pleasantly surprise people.

And I’m as big of Kamala Khan fan that you’ll find.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if dislike for ms marvel will come more from people who can’t relate to the main character or the super fans who hate how much of the character they change for the show.

The brilliance of the character is that she's a superhero fan, which gives her a potential point of intersection with almost every person who would encounter her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still need to see Episode 4 and 5. Is Moon Knight the most divisive MCU show on Disney+ to date or would that be The Falcon and the Winter Soldier or Hawkeye? Feels that way, least to here on the DVDVR MB. The place where matters most.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 1

That wasn’t a great finale, but I’m interested in S2 if it’s more brutal with Jake as Moon Knight. And Layla as the MCU’s version of the Scarlet Scarab is fun, I like that.

It’s not a huge miss for me, like a lot of others here, but it definitely wasn’t a home run of a series either. But I’ll continue to watch because I love the MCU.

now bring on June and Ms. Marvel! ?

• Like 3

Episode 5 was great.

Yes, I did just watch the finale. My opinion? Episode 5 was great.

I didn't like this story in totality. Too disjointed and just not my thing. If it stayed psychological thriller with more great content from the mental institution we'd have something. But instead they just spammed the 'Scorpion King' button. And it just didn't scratch that itch for me.

And for clarity I know nothing about this character beyond this show. I sense the Egypt stuff is a core part of it. But it just bored me to death.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the finale and season even if the pacing was off at times and Steven was annoying as fuck. I'll be there for a second season if they do one.

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Ok so back to Kang, Mephisto, Kingpin, Nightmare, etc. not showing up at the end of a season. Ok, sure, fine. You know what show I liked? Legion. I liked Legion. This wasn't as good as Legion.

I mean even with its issues Legion is probably a top five out of all of the shows Marvel has done, possibly including animation. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I’d say Legion is one of the best shows Marvel has done, period. It ranks up there with Daredevil and Jessica Jones for me, personally.

Out of the D+ shows so far, I think only Hawkeye (oddly enough) was really great on a consistent basis. Maybe Loki, but that’s not a show I particularly enjoyed watching week to week, might be different if I went back and binged the whole thing in one sitting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1