DVDVR Message Board

MOON KNIGHT (SPOILER TALK)

I think I said it after the first episode, but has the MCU had a biggest dork/nebbish protagonist than Steven? I suppose you could say the Tom Holland Peter Parker, but a) he’s a kid and b) Peter Parker has always been a little nerdy over the years. 

you don’t have to be Tony Stark suave, but ….

From an execution standpoint, we know who Steven is as a character but we know nothing about Marc except for that he was a mercenary saved by Khonshu and he wants to protect Layla to the point of losing her. Theoretically, super boring episode 3 was about to get to know him but I think it was a failure along those lines. I'd say that episode 3 did a better job of making Steven competent/useful when it came to solving the puzzle instead of just a hobbyist even if he was even less useful than before in the fight.

Edited by Matt D

I don’t care about the puzzle though. It’s like taking a Benadryl and then watching National Treasure, the Affleck Daredevil, and Venom on three screens next to each other. (Still more invested than Book of Boba Fett unfortunately.)

So, I’ve just watched one episode of this show, and I’m astounded that Oscar is getting good reviews for this performance. It seems Actually Very Bad to me. And if that’s the consensus “best” thing about the show...yikes.

• Like 1

Just now, EVA said:

So, I’ve just watched one episode of this show, and I’m astounded that Oscar is getting good reviews for this performance. It seems Actually Very Bad to me. And if that’s the consensus “best” thing about the show...yikes.

Pretty sure the consensus best thing is Hawke?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I can agree the pacing has been wonky, but I'm enjoying the show. That said......

On 4/15/2022 at 10:27 AM, (BP) said:

I know YMMV on Temple of Doom, but that is an Indiana Jones movie and a horror movie, so it’s not unprecedented. 

They needed a better take on Steven than annoying dork who interrupts the cool guy from doing cool guy stuff. 

On 4/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, Craig H said:

Yeeeeesssssss. Exactly this. THAT is actually what bothers me the most.

Steven is an annoying wiener that I practically can’t stand.

^^This, soooooo much of this is my biggest issue. I kind of hate Steven. He is boring and annoying as personality to the point where it actively hurts things at times.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 10:55 PM, (BP) said:

I pretended to my wife that I knew what was happening at the end of episode 3 so I wouldn’t have to admit I’d fallen asleep. I think I said, “wow, that’s crazy” after she made an ooooh sound that woke me up. I was going to go back and watch the last few minutes, but still haven’t, still happy.

I legit LOL'd at this because it's wayyyy too close to the truth with me. 

This show is boring as fuck.  I read that only the first four eps were screened for critics and that there's somewhat of a turnaround/interesting development in episode four.  Sweet Jesus, I hope so.  I didn't expect Marvel to get somewhat shitty but between Eternals and this, here we are.

During the last episode, I was wondering if the voice of Konshu was someone we're supposed to know.  I saw the credits and it's F. Murray Abraham, which is cool.

• Like 2

This series is such a waste of both Ethan Hawke and Oscar Isaac. Two super talented and charismatic actors both forced to play completely and utterly boring turds. I'm about as big of an MCU fan as there is, but this thing fucking sucks.

How many episodes total is this series anyway? 6? 8? In any event, it has eliminated any desire to ever see Moon Knight on the small or big screen again. I wasn't the biggest fan or anything, but I dug the hell out of that Marvel Knights run back in the day. In hindsight though, that may have just been a younger me who was all, "fuck yeah! Violence! This is what comics should be!"

But that Punisher Marvel Knights run was still dope. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This series is such a waste of both Ethan Hawke and Oscar Isaac. Two super talented and charismatic actors both forced to play completely and utterly boring turds. I'm about as big of an MCU fan as there is, but this thing fucking sucks.

How many episodes total is this series anyway? 6? 8? In any event, it has eliminated any desire to ever see Moon Knight on the small or big screen again. I wasn't the biggest fan or anything, but I dug the hell out of that Marvel Knights run back in the day. In hindsight though, that may have just been a younger me who was all, "fuck yeah! Violence! This is what comics should be!"

But that Punisher Marvel Knights run was still dope. 

6, my friend.

Had a go at ranking the Disney+ Marvel shows:

6. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

5. Hawkeye.

4. Moon Knight.

3. What...If?

2. WandaVision.

1. Loki.

Tough choice between TFATWS/Hawkeye for bottom of the table and Loki/WandaVision for the top spot. As it stands, Moon Knight in 4th place. Best thing about Hawkeye was Kate Bishop/Yelena Belova. Lame baddies and LARP was lame as well. Speaking of lame, the Flag Smashers in TFATWS. That was my biggest takeaway from said show even though it had some good moments.

Looking at your list, @The Natural, I can see I've enjoyed every Marvel show except Moon Knight.  Until now, the only criticism I had was that Wandavision started too slow and goofy (they mitigated that a tiny bit by releasing the first two eps at the same time) and What If was uneven.

But the revelation here is now that I'm looking over the episode list, What If had far more meh episodes than good ones.  Going back to look over its episode list, the highs were high but the lows......man, some of those episodes were useless.  I think What If benefits in hindsight by finishing very strong.  I'm putting the Dr. Strange episode and the last two all together in my head and thinking "that's awesome!"  And I'm forgetting the episode where Pym killed the Avengers, T'Challa joined the Guardians, etc.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

I think I enjoyed What If on the whole. There was maybe one episode I know I didn't care for and the fact that I can't even remember which one that was says enough for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Looking at your list, @The Natural, I can see I've enjoyed every Marvel show except Moon Knight.  Until now, the only criticism I had was that Wandavision started too slow and goofy (they mitigated that a tiny bit by releasing the first two eps at the same time) and What If was uneven.

But the revelation here is now that I'm looking over the episode list, What If had far more meh episodes than good ones.  Going back to look over its episode list, the highs were high but the lows......man, some of those episodes were useless.  I think What If benefits in hindsight by finishing very strong.  I'm putting the Dr. Strange episode and the last two all together in my head and thinking "that's awesome!"  And I'm forgetting the episode where Pym killed the Avengers, T'Challa joined the Guardians, etc.

Hey, @Technico Support. I've enjoyed them all even with faults. WandaVision's Season Finale was my least favourite episode of the series. Sucks as that's the last thing you'll see having invested in the show leading up to it. I can't think of a Loki criticism. There were only two episodes of What If I didn't like. I had the biggest issues with The Falcon and the Winter Soldier/Hawkeye I mentioned. Moon Knight has pacing issues.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think I enjoyed What If on the whole. There was maybe one episode I know I didn't care for and the fact that I can't even remember which one that was says enough for me. 

Same here.

Great What If Episodes:

5. What If...Captain Carter Were the First Avenger? (Ep1).

4. What If...Zombies?! (Ep5).

3. What If...T'Challa Became a Star Lord? (Ep2).

2. What If...Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands. (Ep4).

1. What If...Thor Were an Only Child? (Ep7). Such fun.

Good What If Episodes:

What If...Ultron Won? (Ep8).

What If...the Watcher Broke His Oath (Ep9).

Bad What If Episodes:

What If...the World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes? (Ep3).

What If...Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark? (Ep 6). This was the worst of the lot.

7/9 were hits.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

That episode was a flaming pile of garbage. What is even going on with this show now?

Mind if I ask how many you get to see via screeners and how? The process? It's cool you get early access like that. Thanks.

Have to admit, I'm not in a rush to see today's Moon Knight episode. WandaVision and Loki I looked forward to the most and watched them as soon as they went out.

Edited by The Natural

What the fuck was that?

Ethan Hawke is carrying this show on his back but even he can't drag this across the finish line, especially since it never got out the starting blocks.

• Like 1

So the first 2/3rds of this week was frustrating. At one point i was so glad when she shoved the flare in the monster's face because I couldn't see anything anyway.

I kind of wish the last third was the entire show. Does anyone actually care about Moon Knight? I sure don't. When I was a kid people only cared about Stephen Platt's art     https://www.cbr.com/moon-knight-stephen-platt-marvel-comics-prophet/.

But I really liked the Jeff Lemire run from the 2010s and this is playing off of that more so than literally anything in this show so far has played off of any comic.

So I kind of want to see where that's headed. It should have been the whole show. Most likely it's just a detour for the next twenty minutes of Episode 5.

I liked episode one a bunch. But that opinion changed on a dime. I have not been enjoying this. But I will say I liked the ending this week. I know nothing of the character or his history. But that confusing thriller first episode, and that trippy confusing mental health scene are what I dig out of this. The knock off Mummy / Indiana Jones stuff bored me to death. By no meas an educated opinion. But the internal mental struggle thriller is where the money is. For me at least.

• Like 2

Jesus Christ what a pile of shit.  I'm not going to enjoy a talking hippo just on the basis of "LOL it's so random."  My taste for ironic bullshit probably ended 20 some years ago.  "Oh let's do something totally incongruous to throw the viewers off!"  No, how about having a cohesive narrative?  And Steven is the worst.  I'd say he's an awful, broad caricature but I wouldn't even know what he's a caricature of.  Is this worse than Eternals?  Eternals was only bland.  This is aggressively bad.  

Edited by Technico Support

On 4/8/2022 at 1:55 PM, Swift said:

Yep, as someone who knows nothing at all about this character or his world, I'm finding the show decently entertaining so far.

Still (hesitantly) on board with this. I did think episode 3 was deathly dull and kinda zoned out, but I actually enjoyed this week's episode. I'm a sucker for archaeological dig stuff in movies so enjoyed that stuff, and I'm intrigued by where the final 10 minutes is taking us. The Steven character is grating on me now though. I initially enjoyed him, maybe reveling in Oscar Isaac doing an actually convincing London accent with appropriate phrases thrown in ("oh my days") but yeah, the character is a bit tiresome now.

• Like 1