DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 3/25/2022

Jay Lethal is like a 20-year veteran, and he's still stuck in "Tonight is the night I've been waiting for!" mode. Meanwhile, Fuego can cut a better promo than a good chunk of the roster.

No offense to Lethal fans. I think he's had his moments before, but that promo on Rampage was just awkward and clunky. It sounds like it got away from him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Yep! He's the greatest guy in the world. Do you know him?

Here's a Verne story you might like Gordlow. In the late 90s when he was reffing for ECCW in British Columbia, me and 3 friends would drive up there from Seattle every month to go to the shows. On one show they had a ladder match for ECCWs cruiserweight title. For some reason neither guy was able to get the belt down as it was stuck on the hook it was hanging from. They powder outside, Verne climbs the ladder to get the belt loose. He loosens it and takes it off so he can hang it back up and we immediately start chanting "VERNE'S THE CHAMP! VERNE'S THE CHAMP!" which makes him laugh hysterically. The next month the same 2 guys were doing a promo arguing over the belt when Verne comes out, grabs the mic and says "You heard these people last month, I'M THE CHAMP!"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Would make sense as challenger for Jade Cargill. "A Storm is coming" [chuckles] 

I like that. But - Battle of the Belts 2 and Rampage on 4/15 are both in Garland, TX. The arena they're running just happens to be the same place Athena graduated high school (Garland is her hometown, too).

Athena for Jade's 30th match, Toni Storm for The Bunny's mystery opponent on Dynamite. Two great additions to their women's roster right there if it happens.

• Like 2

Fun show that surpassed my expectations, the hot crowd really makes everything way more fun.

Opener was a great big guy fight with way more intensity that I anticipated.

Tag match was pretty good and Angels  looked great, he’s very overlooked guy.

Not sure if the Fuego vs. HOB was a planned program or if it just the result of the super hot sequence from last week but I’m glad we’re getting it. This was a fun segment and a pretty good lil promo by Fuego.

Main event was great stuff with both guys coming off as HUGE stars with help from the crowd and the excess of personality from both. It’s refreshing to see how into the “mid card” the AEW fans are since there’s so much talent all over the show. I thought Ricky came off great and I’m again grateful that we’re getting him featured on a weekly basis now.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

O'Reilly and Fish are fantastic.  Tho, not a fan of their weak take on 'Total Elimination'.  I can't say that I've seen anybody perform that maneuver anywhere near as well as Saturn/Kronus.  Jay Lethal's promo ability has certainly stalled his ascent in the past.  That said, I don't feel any need for Lethal to win titles or be anything more than he already is.  No need to criticize the Lethals, Neses, Kazarians, etc. for their middle ground roles and lack of upward mobility.  They provide very well where needed.  Happy to hear Nyla get a chance to work the stick again - often funny and underrated mic work.  Speaking of which, terrific promo by Fuego.  I love continuing the Fuego-HoB pairing.  And stoked for the inevitable Stu/Uno/? bout. 

The production on this taped show isn't perfect, but seems to be improving.  I dig how much they try to fit in.  Production also helped save that referee's (didn't catch his name) placement botch for the finish of the Main Event.  Had they chose that wide angle there would be a lot more complaints about referee stoopidity and Starks not being DQ'd.

10 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

The Swerve Stomp isn't looking too great here so far, so I'm hoping he ends up settling on a different finish.

Yep!  Swerve has personality in spades, and all the ability in the world.  Regardless of any sloppiness I've enjoyed his work thus far.  Whether he is able to move passed the unnecessary flippy dip don'ts will remain to be seen.  There's a lot of special performers tucked into this exciting 2 on 2.  The feel out thus far has been fun.  I suspect exceptional results.  God bless that supportive crowd in Austin!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That would be great. My first guess was Mia Yim.

My guess was Athena (Ember Moon), her and Jade have been a little chippy the twitter recently.

I know people think of the more indy style with AEW but it seems like they shine with the big bloody hard hitting hoss brawls, Archer and Dustin just rule together.

Speaking of new AEW signings coming in hot and disappearing, I really hope guys like Malakai and Lee are meant for big big things in this company. I feel like the main event scene (Jericho to Mox to Kenny to Hangman) has been handled excellently but you have a great mix of established guys (the aforementioned) and guys like MJF who you know are gonna hold that belt someday, I know there's only so many spots but I really hope do better than "slumming it on dark." I know there's the joke that RoH will the new AEW C show just... I hope TK finds a way to balance all these guys out in terms of air time.

For a minute I thought Brian Cage was gonna be the mystery guy behind the Starks banner, Lee and Swerve sounds like a fun tag team but again, Lee really has to be a huge singles star someday.

Alos, Nyla's "IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DISRESPECTFUL" ruled. In terms of the pro graps, Nyla sees The Matrix.

Edited by Nineteen
(Forgot Nyla for a minute)

2 hours ago, Nineteen said:

Speaking of new AEW signings coming in hot and disappearing, I really hope guys like Malakai and Lee are meant for big big things in this company. I feel like the main event scene (Jericho to Mox to Kenny to Hangman) has been handled excellently but you have a great mix of established guys (the aforementioned) and guys like MJF who you know are gonna hold that belt someday, I know there's only so many spots but I really hope do better than "slumming it on dark." I know there's the joke that RoH will the new AEW C show just... I hope TK finds a way to balance all these guys out in terms of air time.

I was thinking about this earlier, and I feel like if they can continue to juggle the roster effectively, the cycling of wrestlers in and out - combined with the company's willingness to let talent work elsewhere - can serve as a sort of ersatz territorial system, where talent runs less of a risk of getting overexposed by being on tv every week for eight years.

Of course, there's no guarantee it works. They'll have to keep a lot of plates spinning, and there's always the chance of alienating people who feel like they should be getting tv time when they aren't. But it will be interesting to see how it pans out as the years go by.

• Like 3

I think the thing to keep in mind with guys like Black, Andrade and Lee is that it's not necessarily about being a main eventers & winning titles.

The options are to stay in WWE where creative decides what you are doing and you'll get a world title when Vince decides OR go to AEW where you have much more creative freedom and you'll get a world title when the crowd tells TK it needs to happen.

Really annoying when people say "They left to be midcarders in a smaller promotion!"

No.

They left to go to a place where they actually get a heap of input into their careers and characters.

I think Lee & Swerve as a team is a fucking great move. I cannot wait until we get a Dynamite main event with the two of them vs Danielson & Mox for 20-30 mins.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Tony's not going to fire himself. 

He should and he should give me the book before he does.

I really like Swerve but that foot stomp has to have more stink on it. He's not even coming close and it looks bad. No "Ain't Nobody" really hurts too, especially when they cut to the crowd shot of the fan singing along. lmao.

Edited by Jiji
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I was thinking about this earlier, and I feel like if they can continue to juggle the roster effectively, the cycling of wrestlers in and out - combined with the company's willingness to let talent work elsewhere - can serve as a sort of ersatz territorial system, where talent runs less of a risk of getting overexposed by being on tv every week for eight years.

Of course, there's no guarantee it works. They'll have to keep a lot of plates spinning, and there's always the chance of alienating people who feel like they should be getting tv time when they aren't. But it will be interesting to see how it pans out as the years go by.

It seems that the current answer is to put as many segments on TV and get as many people in those segments as possible. Personally I find the shows so jam packed I have trouble remembering was I just saw

40 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Fire whomever put HOOK and danhausen in the same angle. 

I do find it interesting that after that hot buildup, he’s been feuding with a the Factory, who are the jobbers to the low-card stars. I can’t help but wonder if a bunch of the better positioned veterans said “yeah, I’m not putting Taz’s dangerous no-selling kid over”

8 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I think whatever happens with ROH might help some of the lower card wrestlers. However, some wrestlers are going to get tired of that eventually. I'm not sure that's a sustainable model.

• Like 1