DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 3/25/2022

Dustin Rhodes vs. Lance Archer

Two big tough Texas lads fighting in Texas! I'd be stoked for this TNT title tournament re-match anywhere in the world. But the Texas angle is a fun one. Like, Eddie Kingston vs Homicide would be great anywhere, but it would add a little extra frisson if they were fighting in Yonkers. 

Alan “5” Angels & 10 vs. reDRagon

Would "Five and Dime" be a good tag team name for this Dark Order duo? 

I really like Kyle O'Reily and here's why: Back when I was living in Canada and working as the director of a children's summer camp, I brought a group of staff and volunteers to see an ECCW show in Vancouver. Bryan Danielson was on the card, and I told my staff that this was an opportunity to see the guy I considered to be the best pro wrestler in the world. it ended up being a pretty good-sized group that decided to go. My buddy Verne set us up with great seats and a lot of the wrestlers played directly to us. They definitely created some new big fans of pro wrestling that night! 

After the show I was hanging out and catching up and I noticed O'Reily chatting with a couple of female volunteers from the camp. I made my way over there and discreetly let him know that "These girls are not rats." He reacted immediately with genuine shock and told me he's "not like that." I can still remember his tone of voice and facial expression. 100 percent sincere. He was impressed that these were good people who chose to spend their summer volunteering at a kid's camp. I have always liked him since then, and I have watched his developing career with a real sense of happiness.

Nyla Rose In Action

vs Madi Wrenkowski, the  protege of Thunder Rosa! This will be pretty great. Plus, apparently it will upset some hateful bigots just by taking place at all which is another mark in its favour.

QT Marshall Certificate of Accomplishment to Hook

Gee whiz, @JLowe, sorry you had to sit through this live. ?

I hope we get a few crisp Hook suplexes here. I wonder if cutie will be able to get him to speak. I wonder if chips will be eaten.

FTW Championship Match: Ricky Starks (c) vs. Swerve Strickland

The answer to "Whose house?" is " Swerve's house."

The answer to "who's House" is "House comprises Chris Bronson, Chris Adams, Pete Bainbridge, LA Taylor, and Kneecapper Murphy."

I had to use Cagematch to make that joke. I'll be very impressed indeed if anyone immediately gets it. 

I don't think that's the same Chris Adams.

Kneecapper Murphy is a great name! 

Also: The FTW Title match is likely to be fast-paced and exciting. Some people hate that. Also someone is likely to complain that whoever takes the loss here is no longer relevant. That's OK. Discussion is fun!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Just from watching All Star Wrestling back in the day ?

Do you remember a minor character on that show called "Thumper"? Heel manager and commentator? Briefly managed John Tenta before "trading" him to Fuzzy Sayers? Wore a denim vest. 

Spoiler

That was me. I was Thumper.

Verne is, ironically, maybe the world's least vicious person away from the ring. You will never meet a dude with a warmer heart. Taught me everything I know.

(The fact that I barely know anything should not be held against him).

(Also, it's cool if nobody remembers old Thumper).

Another dude on these boards recently asked me about those days on pm. It's fun for me to remember those days!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Do you remember a minor character on that show called "Thumper"? Heel manager and commentator? Briefly managed John Tenta before "trading" him to Fuzzy Sayers? Wore a denim vest. 

Reveal hidden contents

That was me. I was Thumper.

Verne is, ironically, maybe the world's least vicious person away from the ring. You will never meet a dude with a warmer heart. Taught me everything I know.

(The fact that I barely know anything should not be held against him).

(Also, it's cool if nobody remembers old Thumper).

Another dude on these boards recently asked me about those days on pm. It's fun for me to remember those days!

I remember you bro! It's crazy, these days I can barely remember something last week but I can remember segments from a wrestling show in 1987 lol

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, Gordlow said:

Nyla Rose In Action

vs Madi Wrenkowski, the  protege of Thunder Rosa!

In the "Tony needs to book women better" argument, this has got to be the second or third time they've squashed a jobber who was billed as a protege of Rosa to get heat. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

It's a wrestling tradition. Like how Eddie Gilbert was the protege of Bob Backlund, so they could repeatedly run the angle where the next main event heel could get a psychological edge on Backlund by injuring Gilbert.

• Like 3

Hey!  Lance Archer got his hair fixed to commemorate his escape from Dark/Elevation.  Of course, Dustin Rhodes is motherfucking awesome.  He takes an assbeating and makes a few comebacks and then REALLY leans into an assbeating.  THEN the build to the finish!  And  all the BLOOD! THROUGH A TABLE!  I could get into this feud.  Fuego del Sol dies so the House of Black can feud with the Dark Order?  I back his play one hundred percent.  Bobby Fish is so good in the ring.  Hey, 10 borrowed Bhupinder Gujjar's finisher by hitting a shoulder block out of the corner from the second rope.  He watches BTI on YouTube.  Who knew?  Alan Angels is over in Austin.  ReDragon hits Total Elimination.  It was an ode to IMPACT!/ECW match!  Ultimate Elite being the Horsemen flaunting all the belts even though they are all stolen is pretty old school- like Memphis territory old school.   Man, Ricky Starks and Swerve Strickland had a very fancy wrestling match.  I could watch them wrestle several more times.  Good use of the high school football banner.  I was hoping for a Keith Lee beel.  AEW RULES!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That was pretty fun. Dustin looks like he's slowing down in his old age but he took some ill-advised bumps and him and Archer matched up just fine (plus he not only bled from the head but from the EAR which I joked in the Discord that Schneider put him up to). 10 looked like a beast and they stole the mask turnaround spot from Spoiler vs. Wahoo McDaniel so you can't toss shit at that. I will say less about a Shane Strickland match but you probably guessed that anyway. They were super over though still, and that crowd in Austin, woof. Take in mind they'd already sat through wrestling around three hours plus by then and THAT's the reaction they got? Yeah, you might wanna tie your wagon to those dudes. 

• Like 4

Loved the crowd, today and on Dynamite!

I understand and accept that pitcher in pitcher is probably a network-mandated necessity... but, dang! There really seemed to be a LOT of it today. Took out most of the tag match and a big chunk of the main event. Upside is at least we know AEW is making money for the network, I suppose. Meaning: They can keep this train rolling.

Where was Fuego Dos during that beat-down?

Nice production on House of Black's entrance.

Adam Cole, belt thief. Kind of fun.

From what we saw of the tag, it looked good.

Sports Entertainer of the Week! ?

Madi Wrenkowski looks like Arya Stark. I think they could do something with that. "I want you to know that the last thing you will see before you die is the face of a Wrenkowski smiling down at you."

Hey, Mark Henry. What time is it?

Swerve hit that middle turnbuckle hard!

My indie-loving buddy told me that Swerve and Lee teamed up in AAW.  Spirit bomb/double stomp combo finisher.

They should match up really well with Stark and Hobbs.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good solid main event from Swerve/Starks as expected. Kind of thought going the TV time remaining would've been cool. The Swerve Stomp isn't looking too great here so far, so I'm hoping he ends up settling on a different finish. Fun post-match chaos with Lee. Ricky's TX Indy squad as his entourage was amusing. Poor Madi got squashed in under 30. 

Archer/Dustin was a pretty awesome brawl with an unexpected outcome, especially with Archer having been at the top of the rankings again with a 9-1 record. Post-match beating was brutal. Looking forward to the next big signing on Dynamite. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was pretty fun. Dustin looks like he's slowing down in his old age but he took some ill-advised bumps and him and Archer matched up just fine (plus he not only bled from the head but from the EAR which I joked in the Discord that Schneider put him up to). 10 looked like a beast and they stole the mask turnaround spot from Spoiler vs. Wahoo McDaniel so you can't toss shit at that. I will say less about a Shane Strickland match but you probably guessed that anyway. They were super over though still, and that crowd in Austin, woof. Take in mind they'd already sat through wrestling around three hours plus by then and THAT's the reaction they got? Yeah, you might wanna tie your wagon to those dudes. 

There were a few people on one of the sections to the upper right of the ring from camera perspective who were getting the chants going all night. Also, to be fair, the rest of the Rampage card gave us a bit of a rest. But yeah, we were super hot for Starks and Swerve and they delivered.

The Rhodes-Archer fight was fine, Dustin did his thing but live it was a little plodding at times, and it was just before it happened that we learned that there was a backstage story behind it (we don’t see most of the backstage stuff from Dynamite, but they showed a lot of it in the break between Dynamite and Rampage). I was stoked to see Dustin finally but I wanted a better match and opponent.

Since @Gordlowmentioned it, I manifested both House of Black AND Hook in long, meaningless segments, I really need to reconsider my “powers”. The HoB-Dark Order feud might be good at least.

Ten was probably the most over in the tag, and he and Silver are by far the most popular of the Dark Order. I like Kyle O’Reilly for some reason, he just seems like some dude who wrestles as opposed to a pro wrestler. Hard to explain, maybe the way he carries himself and his demeanor in the ring. Anyway, that was a fine match but again a let down from what all we had previously.

Nyla had a squash. I appreciate Tony giving Nyla a push during their Texas shows.

Main event was great, very competitive and sure there were a couple of awkward spots but they meshed really well and it did a good job of protecting Swerve and building Starks and the larger angle. Tangential, but if Jericho wants a Sports Entertainment faction Starks should be his #1 recruit. They didn’t give us a Keith Lee match, despite him building a chunk of his indie resume in Austin, but him and Hobbs just clubbering for a couple of minutes was fun. After the cameras were off, he and Swerve shook hands and I wouldn’t be surprised for a tag with those 4 next week, or soon.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

They announced the Bunny will face a new signee on Wednesday in the first Owen qualifying match.

Toni Storm Toni Storm Toni Storm Toni Storm!