DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/23/22

Layla/Velvet.. on one hand, the wrench that is supposed to catch the attention of the referee is supposed to be a little absurdly large for a wrestling weapon. On the other hand, it's absurdly large.

Maybe hitting someone with a foreign object and then putting their limp body in a submission hold plays differently (and also the ref looks a little less dumb?)

Am I forgetting something or is the AEW womens division a little heel-heavy right now? that probably changes a little if they turn someone in the Britt Baker group to give Britt another feud

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Layla/Velvet.. on one hand, the wrench that is supposed to catch the attention of the referee is supposed to be a little absurdly large for a wrestling weapon. On the other hand, it's absurdly large.

Maybe hitting someone with a foreign object and then putting their limp body in a submission hold plays differently (and also the ref looks a little less dumb?)

Am I forgetting something or is the AEW womens division a little heel-heavy right now? that probably changes a little if they turn someone in the Britt Baker group to give Britt another feud

Other than Thunder Rosa, the top women's face right now is maybe Ruby Soho, who has been on the Youtube shows the last few weeks. Then there's TayJay.

13 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Other than Thunder Rosa, the top women's face right now is maybe Ruby Soho, who has been on the Youtube shows the last few weeks. Then there's TayJay.

Statlander is up there too.

• Like 1

Checking out the AIW roster page

Face

• Anna Jay
  • Shida
  • Statlander
  • Mercedes Martinez
  • Red Velvet
  • Riho
  • Ruby Soho
  • Tay Conti
  • Thunder Rosa

Heel

• Britt Baker
  • Bunny
  • Jade Cargill
  • Jamie Hayter
  • Layla Hirsch
  • Nyla Rose
  • Paige Van Zant
  • Penelope Ford
  • Rebel
  • Serena Deeb

???

• Abadon
  • AQA
  • Emi Sakura
  • Leva Bates
  • Yuka Sakazaki
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Velvet, Martinez, Statlander, anna, Tay (heel turn ?) - I said that a face needed to get a belt since it is heel heavy. Anna Jay has been pretty much disappeared too. 

Forgot to mention I really enjoyed Julia sitting in the corner looking dejected, completely uninterested in the match, from the intros all the way through the aftermath.

Depression and relationship troubles are some symptoms of stage 2 of demonic possession. 

Pillman and Garrison's gimmick of "jock goobers who are oblivious to the fact that Dutch Satan has possessed their pal and are just here to rassle their best" is really something.  They're like two Jumpin' Jeff Farmers.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

This is my last time doing this....

Dynamite ratings

1,046,000 viewers  (0.41)

WE'RE BACK!

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Nyla is kind of a flat first challenger. Deeb would've been way better in that spot instead of her never-ending feud with Shida, but props to AEW for not backing off their original plan given the current climate.

I want Deeb vs Rosa but I also see her being the one to end the streak if they decide to go with Jade as a face. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, evidence said:

I want Deeb vs Rosa but I also see her being the one to end the streak if they decide to go with Jade as a face. 

Agreed. I think the crowd is gonna turn Jade babyface soon, she's becoming quite the talker. Like how does anyone not immediately fall in love with her character after "Shut up, bitch, nobody cares about that karate shit"

• Like 6

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Not sure why people around the internet are down on Layla/Velvet when the vast majority of their shit looked good, they told a story and the finish was well-executed. 10% to 20% percent of the audience are gonna crap on most matches without a Y chromosome, jeez.

Absolutely!  There's ppl in here that appreciated the efforts.  AlvaMeltzerez shat upon it.  Pages back it was mentioned that these two oughtta go best of 7, and I'm game from watching this bout.  

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm only speaking for myself here. Like that Bayley vs Sasha match from Brooklyn NXT was my match of the year that year. Women's wrestling can be awesome as fuck. But just like any other wrestling, it can suck too. I thought Layla vs Velvet was okay. But I mean you have them attempting stuff they can't pull off and it brings down the match. At one point Velvet slowed down took a breath to concentrate on the difficult spot she was about to attempt and she still fucked it up. The springboard that got countered into a German suplex. She completely missed the middle rope and threw off the timing making it look bad. Even after taking a second to focus. That doesn't automatically mean the match sucked. But that's the type of stuff people are gonna focus on and critique.

That seems to be a theme repeated in the women's matches in AEW. Some more than othes. But Red Velvet is especially guilty of this. She's had similar instances in other matches of trying stuff she just doesn't have the skill set to pull off. Steve Austin didn't do Lionsaults and his matches got over just fine. It's a matter of knowing your skill set and what you can / can't pull off, and not going past your skill depth.

I agee with this. Red Velvet feet planted on the ground vs leaving her feet is night and day.

Kinda felt like a place holder show. But the Bret Tribute match was great and I'm gonna re watch that tonight 

I also like Kris Stratlander channeling Hulk Hogan going all black to take on The Dungeon of Doom "THERE ARE NO BEST FREINDS HERE"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I thought Layla vs Velvet was okay. But I mean you have them attempting stuff they can't pull off and it brings down the match. At one point Velvet slowed down took a breath to concentrate on the difficult spot she was about to attempt and she still fucked it up. The springboard that got countered into a German suplex. She completely missed the middle rope and threw off the timing making it look bad. Even after taking a second to focus. That doesn't automatically mean the match sucked. But that's the type of stuff people are gonna focus on and critique.

I am of the firm belief that a botch isn't really a botch if it's reacted to realisticly. I watch kickboxers fall on their ass throwing high kicks all the time and nobody chants "you fucked up". It looked like Velvet went for a high risk move, she screwed it up, and Hirsch German Suplexed her for it. The illusion wasn't broken.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

Another largely enjoyable episode of Dynamite.  Though I doubt it’ll be remembered as an all time classic.  

Weird that Ex called Punks miming a call out to Hangman as a reference to the Dog Collar Match.  Especially after doing the familiar belt gesture.  Good match from Punk and Dax.  

MJF continues to impress me with how little he gives a shit about any negative responses to his promos.  The Jesus one liner or suggesting the crowd to hop the rail AGAIN.  Somebody give him the Jerry Lawlor in 93 version of the Sharpshooter and the crowd will go banana.  Sorry kids.  Best heel in the business getting heat by playing with fire.

That being said.  MJF ain’t got shit on me.

It'll be nice to see Bret again

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

When I took my non-fan friend to Dynamite a few weeks ago Silver was definitely his favorite out of the bunch. The crowd was going banana for him. Funnily enough he also loved Luther, couldn't get enough of his schtick with Serpentico.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I am of the firm belief that a botch isn't really a botch if it's reacted to realisticly. I watch kickboxers fall on their ass throwing high kicks all the time and nobody chants "you fucked up". It looked like Velvet went for a high risk move, she screwed it up, and Hirsch German Suplexed her for it. The illusion wasn't broken.

But you're comparing a fall on a planned rehearsed movement vs a kick boxer falling... which is a mistake but irrelevant, if he wins the fight. The point of a fight is to win, not look pretty. The point of a wrestling match is to simulate a fight and tell a story, and do so while looking cool.

I mean I'm cool with that being how you view it. Everyone should be free to use whatever criteria they want to gauge their entertainment. It's just that you are using your scale and most everyone else is using a different one. That's why people are complaining about that match. I mean I personally would have enjoyed the match more had the spot been done well without the mistake. But more importantly I would have also preferred just a regular German in that spot, thus eliminating the unnecessary botch. There was no need to ratchet up the difficulty there. Didn't add to the story or anything ya know.

We all have our own enjoyment scales. And I just personally enjoy a match more if people stick to the shit they can nail crisp just about every time out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

But you're comparing a fall on a planned rehearsed movement vs a kick boxer falling... which is a mistake but irrelevant, if he wins the fight. The point of a fight is to win, not look pretty. The point of a wrestling match is to simulate a fight and tell a story, and do so while looking cool.

Yeah I don't know about all that. Nothing wrong with looking cool. The point?

Is pro wrestling a form of storytelling or athletic exhibition? I mean, it's both, but I believe strongly that it's one before the other. I think this is the main divide in modern wrestling criticism. Meltzerists who like Will Ospreay vs. Segunda Caidaists who like Mark Henry, Bret vs. Shawn, yadda yadda, everyone reading this knows what side they're on.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Gordlow said:

I guess if Liger vs Sasauke Super J Cup 1994 happened today a bunch of people would hate it because "Sasuke blew the finish."

Thank you. I literally typed this out and deleted it cause I didn't want to prattle but it'll always be the first "good botch" that comes to mind.

• Like 1

I think when people start comparing Liger/Sasuke to Velvet/Hirsch that the plot has been lost a bit. That wasn't the "only" thing wrong with the match, its the easiest example, and the issue wasn't necessarily it was a botch but two wrestlers doing things they don't have the skills to do yet which took some people out of the match. Which wasn't the case with Liger/Sasuke, as that was an amazing match beyond the foot slip. Just feels like an odd match to get defensive about, it was a so-so short midcard Dynamite match.

Plus, NoFistsJustFlips said he thought the match was ok. Which is about as good as its going to get with those two in a six minute TV match. Anyone arguing that it was a masterpiece is probably watching wrestling different than most others. For the record, I like both the Young Bucks and Mark Henry like I am sure many others so dividing fans into two camps doesn't make any sense either. Its not that serious, sometimes matches just don't click with people, its not a broader conspiracy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1