DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/23/22

Moxley strikes me as the type of guy that would throw the title belt in a corner of a room somewhere and then pile dirty clothes on top of it. Like, he would definitely know where his dark ages sword was at before he would know where a WWE title was at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I believe so. To be fair, Mox would be disappointing if he wasn't banging his woman while wearing the WWE belt. 

But, see, now this train of thought has lead me to thinking about Triple Crown champions just rolling into the bedroom triple-strapped up. 

ultimo-dragon-j-crown.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Also, so delighted to see the Ass Boys slow build.  Big fart sound to all those who routinely buried them for the first year.  Austin was always clearly a great bumper and potentially great shit heel.  FTR and the Ass Boys!  Right on!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

By the way, Punk putting the noose around his neck to pull himself up and then signal for the belt around his waist was fucking dope. 

I thought Excalibur's call of that was super smart. It was definitely the noose thing he was doing but Ex was like oh he's referencing being pulled up by the dog collar. Diffused what could be seen as a dicey gesture. Punk vs Dax was fucking good. FTR are an amazing tag team. And Dax just proved he's the full on Arn Anderson of this generation. Amazing tag worker, but still one of the very best at singles matches too. That match was 15 minutes of goodness.

I so don't get the hate for the Tay & Sammy line. Like Paige had Brad Maddox finish on the actual NXT Women's Title and there wasn't this much outrage. I think people just dislike Sammy & Tay, and they're grasping at whatever to be mad about. Most any other pair doing that same line with that same Twitter pic wouldn't get the same outrage. Also strongly disagree with that Kingston Tweet. The TNT Title isn't a memorial to Brodie. Stuff that happens with the belt shouldn't immediately be considered to also be happening to Brodie. That's just taking things too seriously.

That crowd was hot as fuck in hour one. It felt like a peak attitude era Raw or Nitro. Punk straight into Sting & Hardys straight into Mox & Danielson straight into Adam Cole is a hell of a string of things to be excited about. Second hour kind of fell off a cliff. But still one of the best Dynamites in awhile. Enjoyed almost everything.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That crowd was hot as fuck in hour one. It felt like a peak attitude era Raw or Nitro. Punk straight into Sting & Hardys straight into Mox & Danielson straight into Adam Cole is a hell of a string of things to be excited about. Second hour kind of fell off a cliff. But still one of the best Dynamites in awhile. Enjoyed almost everything.

The first hour was so hot I knew the crowd would have to lose steam.  The woman's match by default was the break in the crowd. But then Johnny got them revved up again. It's just nice to see hot crowds. 

• Like 3

Based on previous weeks where the numbers earlier in the show are much higher, they're definitely front loading the shit out of these things now to show people coming over from BBT that they have CM Punk, Sting, crazy matches, Jeff Hardy, etc. The viewership always dips in that second hour and tails off so if they can pull in any new viewers early on then go for it. It makes for a lopsided show, but whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Like I said earlier, that was an ad lib by MJF responding to the crowd chanting "Jesus" because of a guy dressed like Jesus in the audience. 

I have heard that it wasn't an ad lib and was designed to set up an upcoming feud because Jesus reached a deal with Tony a day prior and is now ALL ELITE! (The I am the Devil comments were also designed to set up the feud as well. They really pay attention to detail in their booking)

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Sammy's comment does beg the question about what percentage of wrestling champs got down while wearing the strap? I mean, gotta be a high number. Like, over 90 percent. 

For the record, I absolutely plowed my girlfriend while wearing the Pro Wrestling Ohio Tag Team Championship belt. 

I did not spunk on the belt however, because I respect the business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, chriskbrown50 said:

After years of having WWE rush feuds, TK's slow burn on the Wardlow turn, and now Julia Smith is refreshing and at times maddening. Wardlow turn could have happened a few times. But it is more like WWE/WCW of the mid 90s at times. 

Considering that Julia Hart was blinded by mist nearly 4 months ago in December, what percentage is some planned out slow burn and what percentage is them reconsidering and thinking that turning her heel to join Aleister would be too predictable. Or what percentage of the slow burn involves them losing the Varsity Blonds in the shuffle.

Right now it kinda feels like the VBs would need to win a match or two before Julia turns heel to yank the rug out from under them instead of having her turn heel on a team that doesn’t really win anything and wouldn’t be seen as likely to win anything if they pursued a feud in response to a turn

Would it really count as a slow burn long planned out turn if Julia and one of the VBs turned heel on the other VB even if that probably wasn’t in mind back in December?

I guess as long as Pillman Jr behaves himself online, they’ll eventually trust him enough to stop booking him to be a dweeb?

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

TK needs to spring for more expensive spray tan for the boys. MJF and Adam Cole out there looking like Rudy’s forehead.

His hands looked looked like he had vitiligo.  Why even worry about spray tan when you're going to be wearing a suit?   After weeks of great promos, MJF regressed to low hanging fruit as well, calling the Texas crowd hillbillies, rednecks, etc.  Meh.

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

But, see, now this train of thought has lead me to thinking about Triple Crown champions just rolling into the bedroom triple-strapped up. 

As long as the young boys run in with the cold spray after the finish.

What did Trent call Regal's team?  Regal's Tough Guy Club or something?  That was hilarious.

I was also freaked out and worried about Butcher and Blade's legs after Jeff swantoned right onto their kneecaps.  Jesus.

It's shitty how Conti has gone from "all heart, really nice, fighting babyface who won't give up" to "trophy girl Sammy gets to brag about fucking."  Somebody here said that's a 1999 WWF face turn and there's nothing more spot on than that.  For both of them, really.

Seeing empty arena Daily's Place footage in that Dustin/Archer promo really weirds me out now.  If AEW ever gets a streaming deal and puts all their shows up, I really need to rewatch the Nightmare Factory shows.  Those were really weird looking.  All steel columns and astroturf.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

The offending Sammy line read like an Attitude Era babyface move and it *did* get a pop... I dunno, jury's out on that one but I think the heel turn will be organic and inevitable. re: Tay' Tweet - how many times has the DDT Iron Man Heavymetalweight Championship changed hands (or other body parts) in similar situations?

Not sure why people around the internet are down on Layla/Velvet when the vast majority of their shit looked good, they told a story and the finish was well-executed. 10% to 20% percent of the audience are gonna crap on most matches without a Y chromosome, jeez.

Best thing on the show was the Notice Me Bret Senpai opener, Punk is *the* living master of TV match psychology, ever since The Piledriver Match >>> The MitB Five Star. Worst thing is pacing - Hour One was all the best bits and Hour Two was cheatin' heels. Sequencing, people! The Tornado Tag was great, didn't drag AT ALL, shoulda went on last even if the daylight during the arena brawl was a neat touch.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

What a run CM Punk is on:

vs. Darby Allin at All Out 2021 is underrated.

vs. Eddie Kingston at Full Gear 2021.

Teaming with Sting/Darby Allin.

The two matches with MJF on Dynamite in Chicago and at Revolution 2022. Both *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Considering that Julia Hart was blinded by mist nearly 4 months ago in December, what percentage is some planned out slow burn and what percentage is them reconsidering and thinking that turning her heel to join Aleister would be too predictable. Or what percentage of the slow burn involves them losing the Varsity Blonds in the shuffle.

I blame Cody.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Not sure why people around the internet are down on Layla/Velvet when the vast majority of their shit looked good, they told a story and the finish was well-executed. 10% to 20% percent of the audience are gonna crap on most matches without a Y chromosome, jeez.

I'm only speaking for myself here. Like that Bayley vs Sasha match from Brooklyn NXT was my match of the year that year. Women's wrestling can be awesome as fuck. But just like any other wrestling, it can suck too. I thought Layla vs Velvet was okay. But I mean you have them attempting stuff they can't pull off and it brings down the match. At one point Velvet slowed down took a breath to concentrate on the difficult spot she was about to attempt and she still fucked it up. The springboard that got countered into a German suplex. She completely missed the middle rope and threw off the timing making it look bad. Even after taking a second to focus. That doesn't automatically mean the match sucked. But that's the type of stuff people are gonna focus on and critique.

That seems to be a theme repeated in the women's matches in AEW. Some more than othes. But Red Velvet is especially guilty of this. She's had similar instances in other matches of trying stuff she just doesn't have the skill set to pull off. Steve Austin didn't do Lionsaults and his matches got over just fine. It's a matter of knowing your skill set and what you can / can't pull off, and not going past your skill depth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Also, so delighted to see the Ass Boys slow build.  Big fart sound to all those who routinely buried them for the first year.  Austin was always clearly a great bumper and potentially great shit heel.  FTR and the Ass Boys!  Right on!

I feel like there's this thing were everyone laments the lack of truly unlikeable heels in wrestling, but then when one (or two) come along, they want them off their tv.

• Like 3